Categories See All →
Pictures Won't Show Up In The Gallery/Pattern Libraryie8 web browser gallery troubleshooting pictures
At the risk of sounding inflammatory Internet Explorer isn't a very good web browser. The browser isn't as W3 compliant (this is the international organization that decides on the "rules" of the internet). IE stubbornly sticks to what they want, even though the rest of the world doesn't agree. As such, they write code that isn't always compatible with the way new things are being done. Patches and upgrades are also slow, as a result, they are not as secure.
The advantage of Internet Explorer is that it comes pre-installed on every Microsoft operating system (which by the way, they're being sued for anti-trust violations). This means that almost everybody has Internet Explorer on their machines. And that's where many people default to, without exploring other/better options.
I suggest you try a different browser. Browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, and Safari. They're all very W3 compliant, run smoother/efficient, and security patches are made available immediately when a vulnerability is discovered. I have a feeling that once you try a different browser, you'll be very happy with the results. If you're worried about your bookmarks, don't worry. Most of these programs will import your bookmarks for you.
Basically, it comes down to this. SSV's gallery doesn't play nice with Internet Explorer 8 and below.
There are a couple things you can do:
- Upgrade to the latest version of your web browser. Currently, Internet Explorer has version 9 & 10. Always keep your browsers up to date.
- To find out what version of Internet Explorer you have, choose Help>About Internet Explorer. Newer versions of Internet Explorer has a question mark icon in the upper right corner. Click the question mark then select About Internet Explorer.
- If you're on Windows XP, I believe that IE8 is the best you can do. Which mean's you're stuck. Either choose a different option, or look at workarounds below.
- Switch to a different browser. Firefoxis a great browser. I prefer Google Chrome. But either one is a great web browser. I really recommend using something other than Internet Explorer.
- In the right corner, click the Large icon button. This will take it from a grid of small icons, to a list of larger icons. This will also show the title and description of the picture. You can click the Title to be taken to the picture details page, where you should be able to see the picture just fine.
- In the lower left corner, click the Change Theme button and select the Mobile theme. This theme is specifically designed for viewing SSV on a mobile phone. When you click that, you should see a grid of thumbnails. Click the thumbnail picture to take you to the picture details page. From there, you'll have to click the button that says Full Version to get your normal SSV options. Remember to make sure you go to Full Version when viewing the forum and other parts of SSV. Otherwise, you may miss out on features that aren't available on the mobile version.
- Kris's Kreations likes this