Christmas Contest

Travis

8449798c72ea06d0c10d36e1e6069f80.gif

With Christmas just right around the corner, its time to start to think about what you'll make for those on your list. So we'd thought we'd throw a little contest to jump start the Holiday scrolling season. And to spice things up a bit, we have an awesome prize for the winner! Mike from Midlothian Woodworks was kind enough to donate a Rose Box intarsia kit, a $40 value (pictured below)!

rosebox.jpg

So what do you do to win this sweet prize? Its easy. Come up with a project to scroll for someone on your Christmas list, make it, take a picture of it, post it here and let us know who its for. That's it! Want to increase your chances of winning? While you are making your project, take some progress pictures and start a thread in the Works In Progress & Tutorials forum. Be sure to explain what we're looking at and how you put it together. Be sure to post the link to your WIP thread here.

So basically, you get one entry for posting a picture of a scrolled project you intend to gift this Holiday season. You get an additional entry if you document your progress in the Works In Progress forum. The winner will be drawn at random on December 1st and the results will be posted here.

This should be a lot of fun. With so much creativity here, I look forward to seeing what y'all come up with. I'd also like to thank Mike from Midlothian Woodworks for sponsoring this contest. If you haven't checked out Mike's intarsia kits, I'd encourage you to do so. The jewelry boxes especially would make a beautiful gift for that special someone this Holiday season. Everything you need is included in the kit. Including pre-cut/mitered box sides, all of the different wood species conveniently labeled, pattern and instructions. These kits are perfect for new and seasoned intarsia artists alike. Be sure to check him out. If you decide to purchase one of his kits, be sure to thank him for sponsoring the contest on SSV.

OK. Here's the fine print. This contest is open to US residents only (sorry guys, international shipping costs are insane). You can only get a maximum of 2 entries per person. Pictures must be posted in this thread to be entered in the contest. If you create a WIP thread for your second entry, you must post a link to your WIP in this thread as well to be considered. Creation of additional accounts to increase your chances of winning are strictly prohibited and may get you banned (we can tell these things). You'll have 2 weeks to claim your prize. After that, a new drawing will be held where we'll pick a new winner. Have fun!

A couple notes on the contest. Only newly uploaded projects & WIP threads are eligible for the contest. We'll use the Date Created to figure eligibility. I'd also prefer that you use your User's Gallery to upload your pictures and use the Embed BB Code feature to post the picture in the forums. It keeps everything cleaner so we don't have double-uploads in the forums. Besides, it makes it easier to browse pictures if they are in your User Gallery. If you need help creating a User's Gallery or how to use the Embeding BB Code, [tut]you can find a tutorial here.[/tut]

This is an easy contest to participate in. I hope everybody decides to enter. Be sure to spread the word too. The more the merrier. Have fun! :thumbs:

Looks like I'm the first to post a pic: I made this for my niece for Christmas. My family is getting together at her house to celebrate her 40th birthday and an early Chirstmas. I haven't seen them for a couple years...it's a long drive from western PA to Maine, where we usually gather. Tomorrow I'm leaving for her house in Connecticut..still quite a drive.

This is a pattern that I designed, so I also posted in the new patterns for anyone who would like it.

thumb_hearts_and_dove_welcome.JPG

Now that I posted the pattern...I see that there is already a copy in the new pattern section. Travis...feel free to delete my duplicate. :D

Nope. It can be anything you want. Design it yourself, purchase a pattern, grab one from the Pattern Library. It basically has to be something you intend to gift this Holiday season. Take a pic, and post it to this thread and you'll be entered. If you take make a WIP thread, you'll get an additional entry.

I can't wait to see what you come up with. :thumbs:

one more question travis......can we enter more than once. In other words, if we post multiple projects, do we get multiple entries, or is it one entry per person....sorry for so many questions.

No problem. It's one entry for posting a project. Posting multiple projects doesn't give you any more entries. Posting one WIP thread gives you another entry. Posting multiple WIP threads doesn't give you any more entries either. So you can get a total of 2 possible entries. The winner will be drawn at random on Dec. 1st.

With that said, we'd love to see your other projects. Its so much fun to see what others are working on, and hopefully it will spark an idea or two for someone else. We're throwing the contest to have a little fun and encourage member participation. It really helps SSV grow when there's lots of stuff to look at, especially tutorials. ;)

ok thanks travis. I square now...well actually more round..lol. I will get some pics up this weekend. I have a few done, but no pics. This is the only site my family doesnt know about, so it is the only one i can post pics on since it is there presents..lol. I would hate to spoil the surprise. Again, thanks and i will get some pics up soon. :cool:

If I have already posted the pic elsewhere does it disqualify me?

I made the following cross for my Mom, for Christmas..almost got a plaque done for my Dad, will get the pic of it up when it's finished.

thumb_crossonwood.JPG

(Just figured out how to do the BB thing, so this pic isn't near as big.

Bubba

I'm going to submit a picture for my wife...hope I do it right...this is a hand painted puzzle. She just finished it tonight...she is starting to outshine me...

thumb_melanie.JPG

Bubba Starting????????? I think she already Blew you away :razz:

Tell her it looks great!

Oh great, now her heads gonna get big ER!!! LOL LOL

My wife is the best, she is very artistic, ornery as heck, and puts up with me. No wonder I love her, eh?

Bubba

Oh, and she's a GREAT passenger on the motorcycle!!

Wow! We have some really nice entries for the contest! Thanks Mike for providing the generous contest prize. Of course, Travis announced the contest the day after I finished the Bobcat WIP! LOL That is a gift for my daughter and her other half! But thats OK....I made this jaguar for my husband! No WIP as it is almost the same as the bobcat! This one has 180 pieces...is made of poplar...overall size is 15 1/2 w x 16 1/2 h.....pattern by Neal Moore....frame by me! My husband thinks it is for our son! LOL

thumb_Jaguar.JPG

Wow, such beautiful entries! This is going to be one tough competition. I really wanted to enter too but haven't been able to sit at the saw long enough. But I sure do enjoy seeing what everyone else has entered! Thanks so much for donating the very cool prize Mike...........you are very generous!

Christina

The cross is a present for my wife for Christmas. I just finished putting the final coat of lacquer on it this weekend. It is made of birch vernier plywood with the dark part stained walnut and the lighter just sealed. the parts are all cut from a pattern I got in Scroll Saw Magazine. Hope you enjoy.

post-3068-134955529348_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Frank