Printing Patterns

Travis

There was a question in another thread about printing patterns. It occurred to me that there are lots of different ways to print the patterns provided here on SSV. For a new scroller, it's not very obvious how to use these great patterns. I'd like to get a bunch of different ways others use the patterns on SSV. So, h'bout it? How do you prepare/print your patterns? I personally use Inkscape to scale and print patterns.

I just use the printer options.

First I "Save Image As' then go to where I saved it, double click the image/pattern, that takes me to Windows Photo Gallery, I then click CTRL-P to access the printer options, from there it's a matter of choosing what size etc, etc, etc.

Hope that is of help.

Merlin

Patterns that fit on regular paper I just print (I usually change the color from black to red which seems easier to see). Patterns where the cutting will be larger than the standard 8 1/2" X 11" paper stock I take to Office Depot. I print the pattern on regular paper, decide what the size of the cutting will be by measuring the largest dimension (length or width). If the longest dimension is 7 1/2" and I want that to be 12" (11" X 14" frame, 1" border), the pattern needs to be enlarged by 160% (use a proportional scale from an art supply store). The cost for B&W is less than $1 here.

• 2 years later...

For downloaded patterns I rework them a little using GIMP (Thanks to Travis), export to the desktop and import into InkScape to scale and size the drawing to the size I prefer, 8.5 x 11 or 11 x 17. If I want larger I use the Poster utility in my HP tools. I use InkScape to change the color form black to light grey with a thin black outline, this is easy on my eyes and save a lot of ink. The poster utility will create a drawing that is either 4, 9, 16 or 25 times as large as the 8.5 x 11 original. You simply print it out and tape the pages together. If you want something a bit smaller you'll need to scale the size down using either InkScape or Gimp, you would still print it on 8.5x11 sheets of paper, you would have some trimming to do before you tape them together. If your printer has this utility it can save you a trip to the print shop.

Ed Sr.

I create, scan and then save the pattern on my computer (.jpeg).

I then open it up in Unlead Photo Express where I resize, change the color of the pattern.

I print out in blue because for me, it seems easy to see when scrolling, red works well too.

I print the pattern out on light weight see through parchment paper. I tape the thin parchement paper to a thicker piece of paper when sending it through the printer. I use rubber cement to glue to the wood. Rubber cement makes it easy to remove pattern and glue after scrolling, and will not soak into the wood to seal it.

When I need to print a very large pattern, I use MS Publisher. The image will print on several sheets, cut and tape back together.

Having fun with it.

So far, this has process worked out for me. But then, I new at this.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I do most of my work in an old version of Photoshop CS then change to a vector in inkscape and change it to grey with a black outline. I save that as a png. I then go to a free program called PosteRazor to resize to literally any dimension I want. It then saves it as a PDF. just print that out, tape them together and I'm good to go.  

I do most of my work in an old version of Photoshop CS then change to a vector in inkscape and change it to grey with a black outline. I save that as a png. I then go to a free program called PosteRazor to resize to literally any dimension I want. It then saves it as a PDF. just print that out, tape them together and I'm good to go.  

Downloaded PosteRazor and it made things a lot easier.  Thank you for the suggestion.