Finishing Cherry.....My first time working with Cherry..

Scrolling Steve

I would like to help you with this question but one of my many week points is in finishing.. There are so many ways to go about it so I will be interested to see what others might say. As you know, there are many knowledgeable people here. Just remember, finishing is like choosing the perfect blade, There are a lot of different ideas on that subject too. so both you and I will have our eyes and ears positioned to find the suggestions to your question..  

Dick

heppnerguy

personally, I just use shellac & Watco spray gloss. It brings out the true color of the wood, & is plenty to seal & protect it. If I don't want near the shine, I use the semi gloss. Deft is ok too, but try it on some scrap first. It has a tendancy to change the look of the project. I sure wouldn't stain it if it's cherry. Let the true color shine through! You won't be disappointed!

Alot has to do with the look you are after. I have used Cherry many times. I mostly use  a Danish oil as my finish coat which seals it and adds a low luster to it. But I have also done a BLO with a satin lacquer finish. I just do not like the look of poly on wood projects unless it is called for for protection. Lacquers will allow the wood to have a deep look to it. Cherry will darken with time no matter what you do. The more it is in the sun light the quicker this happens. But it is a rich look and that is why it is a favorite for many furniture makers and cabinet makers. 

John pretty much nailed it.  The selection of finish for any project involves several criteria, the species of wood being among them.  Some woods just look better with certain types of treatments.  Cherry is one of them, IMHO.  An oil or oil based finish really pops the grain and enhances the color, but as John said, cherry will darken naturally, over time, so years from now, the difference between one finishing schedule and another may be minor.

I like to use BLO to start, to pop the grain and color, especially if I'm going to topcoat with a waterborne finish.  What you use as a topcoat is totally a matter of personal preference.  Are you going for a high gloss look or more of a low luster?  Does the piece need any protection from abrasion, moisture, etc?  For most of my scrollsawn projects, I use shellac.  It's easy to spray, dries very fast, low odor, easy to clean up, gives a nice gloss without the heavy, plastic film look of polyurethane, but can be rubbed out to a reduce the sheen, if desired.  Also, shellac imparts it's own amber tint to the wood, so often on woods like cherry or walnut, a BLO treatment isn't really necessary.

Oil lends itself to a beautifully warm and rich looking finish on Cherry - but - at least IMHO - Cherry is also a bit more brittle than many hardwoods and shows abuse very quickly - meaning - a little additional protection is helpful - in the working kind of environment you are talking about you might think about following up the oil treatment with a polyurethane finish - my own go-to finish is 3 or more spray coats of Minwax Semi-Gloss - and then rubbed and polished with an application of wax that is impregnated into 0000 steel wool.

Jay

Edited by RangerJay

I am about to make some of Steve Good's test tube wooden vases and the face of these will be 1/4 Cherry that I got from Ocooch hardwoods...I have never used Cherry in a project before, so how do you guys and gals finish it?!....Do you use any oils or topcoats?...Thanks for your feedback !..Steve.

my first encounter with cherry was a piece coated with 50/in one coat clear.Very thick finish on cherry.It was John 3:16 cut out in a heart shaped cherry plaque.post-1607-0-55277800-1486015116_thumb.jpg

I use 2 coats of Watco Danish oil, let it dry overnight and then 2 coats of Watco Wipe-on Poly.  While wearing latex gloves, I hand rub the second coat of poly to get a soft sheen.

attachicon.gifIMG_05881.JPG

Stunning piece of work!  I like to use Danish Oil as well. I just bought the Watco Wipe-On Poly & haven't used it yet. Again, beautiful work!