And yet another New Scroller...from Alaska

AK Moose Nugget

Hello,

Another new scroller here.  I am a retired USPS Letter Carrier living in Anchorage, Alaska.  Been here 30+ years, so figure I'll maybe stay...see if I like it.  :)  ;) 

I bought a Porter Cable 18" scroll saw a month or so ago and have finally got around to setting it up and using it.  I spent the month looking at patterns, tips and tricks online.  Also found this wonderful site and downloaded a few of the patterns.  I just finished the "Creature of the Night" (Ace of Spades design) sign last night.  I had scrolled a couple practice sheets and tackled this sign as a starter piece.  I think it is a very good choice for a first project.  It poses some challenging cuts, but is very forgiving given the overall design.  I cut it out of .25 plywood using a #5 Reverse blade for the outer edge and most of the inside cuts. Also used a #3 spiral blade for the narrow inner cuts.  Overall, I enjoyed it and now have to decide on my next project.

I know, I covered a lot of topics here, but just excited to be part of a great, knowledgable group of people.  Thank you ahead of time for the advice and help I will most likely ask for in the future.

WELCOME from Texas,

sounds like your going to enjoy your new hobby. Post some pictures when you can and yes ask your questions your right there is a lot of talent here ready to help. Use your saw a while then let us know how you like it I've read good reviews on it.

Now about the mail I never get.......😂ðŸ˜ðŸ˜‚ðŸ˜

Hello,

Another new scroller here.  I am a retired USPS Letter Carrier living in Anchorage, Alaska.  Been here 30+ years, so figure I'll maybe stay...see if I like it.  :)  ;) 

I bought a Porter Cable 18" scroll saw a month or so ago and have finally got around to setting it up and using it.  I spent the month looking at patterns, tips and tricks online.  Also found this wonderful site and downloaded a few of the patterns.  I just finished the "Creature of the Night" (Ace of Spades design) sign last night.  I had scrolled a couple practice sheets and tackled this sign as a starter piece.  I think it is a very good choice for a first project.  It poses some challenging cuts, but is very forgiving given the overall design.  I cut it out of .25 plywood using a #5 Reverse blade for the outer edge and most of the inside cuts. Also used a #3 spiral blade for the narrow inner cuts.  Overall, I enjoyed it and now have to decide on my next project.

I know, I covered a lot of topics here, but just excited to be part of a great, knowledgable group of people.  Thank you ahead of time for the advice and help I will most likely ask for in the future.

Glad to have you.Looks like the scroll bug bite you!Only cure is to keep scrolling.I'm at peace with the world scrolling.Good you tried spirals,Once you master these your on your way to happy scrolling!

Welcome from Eastern Oregon take your time and enjoy all your cutting. It does not take very long before things gets automatic. If you do run into any sort of problem, just mentioned it here and you will receive more help then you imagined was possible. Try to get ahold of some Baltic Birch plywood and you will quickly learn how helpful it is when cutting something. I would also recommend you get ahold of some smaller blades for cutting 1/4 inch plywood. Maybe #3 and smaller. It will make cutting not only easier but with way less frizzies to clean up. Good luck and know we are really happy you decided to join us here on The Village

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks for the generous welcome and howdy-do's.  Now to answer a cpl specific questions.

Janie, I found the Creature of the Night pattern here at SSV.

Tuner, 'bout the mail you don't receive, call 1-888-I'm-Retired.  See if that helps. LOL.

To all the rest of you...thanks again and I look forward to getting to know folks by name/user picture.

Welcome to the forum.  Glad you found us and the plethora of patterns shared here.  Lots to keep a retired postal worker busy  I suspect.  Took my first visit up into parts of Alaska last summer.  Beautiful places.  Hope to see more of it one day.  Make sure you share pictures of your projects - everybody wants to see and the pattern makers love to see that someone used their work.

Joe, you may have delivered my mail. I lived in Anchorage from 2001 to 2006. I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB. Alaska was my #1 place to live, along with Colorado. I would still be in Alaska if I could have convinced my wife.