🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

One of those days :(

WayneMahler

Has anyone besides me ever been working in the shop and have something really annoying happen ? Today the Mrs. and I went down to my shop. She put some finish on a few pieces that were done getting ready for a show on the 25th. I was attaching hangers and hardware at my bench. Next thing I hear is a sound that sent chills up my spine. Over 2500 small screws of different sizes, small nails also of different sizes, saw tooth hangers and a lot of other pieces went crashing to the floor. So I guess tonight and tomorrow I get to sort all these things out. May have a cold one or two while taking this on. I now know to close and lock the lids when not getting something out of it. I still have no idea how it fell but it did :( . 

been there, done that. I had my shop in a small room in our basement before we moved to the shop we're in, & I created what I thought was an ingenious design for my screws. The basement having concrete walls, I had difficulty finding concrete screws in our small community, so I drove anchors in the wall to hold the screw bin. It worked well for sometime. Like you, in the middle of a project, my screw bin turned lose from the wall, hit the floor, & I assorted sizes of screws all over the floor in my "dungeon" as my bride called it. GEEZ! what a mess! I finally shortened the hose on my shop vac & cleaned them up that way, then dumped them out on the bench & started sortin'. :shock:  :cry:  :oops:

On another note, I've been busy looking after my mother lately & haven't made it to the shop. I've got plenty to do, but Mom's health is more important right now. I've tried to slip out to spend time in the shop, but either I get caught by mom or my bride, or mom needs somethin'. Sometimes as a caregiver, you have to be willing to make sacrifices. It's easier said than done, but better than other alternatives. 

On another note, I've been busy looking after my mother lately & haven't made it to the shop. I've got plenty to do, but Mom's health is more important right now. I've tried to slip out to spend time in the shop, but either I get caught by mom or my bride, or mom needs somethin'. Sometimes as a caregiver, you have to be willing to make sacrifices. It's easier said than done, but better than other alternatives. 

It's all about keeping your priorities in the proper place. Something I never sacrifice. 

Had that yesterday put a load of patterns on a chair and they just slid off and floated all over the place then I turn to save them hit five tins of paint over got up bang my head on brush hanging from the roof walked out and slams the door and the things hanging on the back feel off . Sh_t happens :shock:. Look after Mum she's top priority.  Roly

I bought a magnet on a handle to help when this type of disaster happens. About 2 months later I knocked a couple of boxes of nails off the shelf and they went everywhere. I thought to my self "no problem, I have a magnet for this" and quickly reached for it. But when I tried to use the magnet it wouldn't work. "Nothing! What is wrong with this magnet?" Then I discovered that all those nails were aluminum nails. Anybody got an aluminum magnet? I spent hours on my hands and knees picking all of them up and still find some occasionally.

Charley. 

Edited by CharleyL

The aluminum magnet is called a shop vac :roll:.

When I was doing computer repair, I had a bin full of screws for expansion plates, drive mounting, etc and when I was on vacation, someone took it out of my desk and as they were using it, it hit the floor.  So, they just swept it up and put it all (including floor sweepings) in a big zip-lock bag for me.

yes Sir Mr. Wayne, you're right about priorities. My shop is my sanctuary, woodworking is what keeps my mind & hands busy. But there are times when family comes first, & their health situation. Love requires sacrifice, & sometimes that sacrifice will come back to us ten fold. 

I agree ... My shop is my sanctuary .... when I am out there everyone pretty much leaves me alone....

Winter routine .... unlock the door... walk in and turn on overhead lights... turn up the heater... turn on the computer (and copier depending) .... turn on lights above work benches and saws .... decide what type of music I am going to listen too (Moody Blues lately or Confederate Railroad) .... crank up the tunes and begin sawing or laying out another pattern or clock

hello Dave. I was caught in Minot one time when the heater motors went out of my Peterbilt. Damn! It was cold! If you don't mind me askin' Sir, where do you get the patterns for the clocks you cut? I'm lookin' for some patterns of clocks. I'm wantin' to do a couple with the fretwork, & fairly tall. Not just an ordinary clock. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Has anyone besides me ever been working in the shop and have something really annoying happen ? Today the Mrs. and I went down to my shop. She put some finish on a few pieces that were done getting ready for a show on the 25th. I was attaching hangers and hardware at my bench. Next thing I hear is a sound that sent chills up my spine. Over 2500 small screws of different sizes, small nails also of different sizes, saw tooth hangers and a lot of other pieces went crashing to the floor. So I guess tonight and tomorrow I get to sort all these things out. May have a cold one or two while taking this on. I now know to close and lock the lids when not getting something out of it. I still have no idea how it fell but it did :( . 

Poltergeists did it, Don;t you just hate it :cry: