🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

SSV & Server Issues

Travis

I got an email from my hosting company.  We're using too much resources on the server and they're limiting the server load on us.  This was as of yesterday.  I'm trying to optimize the databases.  I'm going to try to update the software soon (I didn't get a chance last January) to see if that helps.  If not, I'll have to find a different solution.  They want to put me on a dedicated server.  If they force me into a larger server, it goes from a few hundred dollars a year to a few thousand a year.  While SSV memberships certainly help me offset the cost of running SSV, it will come no where near covering the cost of a dedicated server.  Plus, the ad revenue from Google Ads has dropped to 20% of what it used to be.  I'm pretty sure that is due to ad blocker browser plugin that seems to be so popular.  While nice on big sites, it really hurts us little guys.  :/

I don't want to worry anybody.  SSV isn't going anywhere.  I'm going to continue to work on this and try to find a creative solution.

I am fairly new to the group but I also want to express gratitude for keeping the sight going. I have been the webmaster in the past on other sites and know what it takes. I would be willing to provide more financial help to keep the site going if needed.

This has become one of my favorite sites to visit at least daily if not more often.

Keep us in the loop 

What can we do to help.  I will check but I think I already turned off ad blocker on this site.  You hold the life of a lot of scrollers in you hands.  We would perish if it went away...... :cry:  I think you need a banner about going through here to purchase from Amazon.  I do often, but forget to start here.  Didn't I read somewhere on her that is we do that, it helps, moneywise  here?  

On 4/12/2017 at 1:23 PM, David Lehner said:

I am fairly new to the group but I also want to express gratitude for keeping the sight going. I have been the webmaster in the past on other sites and know what it takes. I would be willing to provide more financial help to keep the site going if needed.

This has become one of my favorite sites to visit at least daily if not more often.

Keep us in the loop 

I CAN'T CONTRIBUTE MUCH BUT A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY SOMETIMES

On 4/19/2017 at 10:49 PM, Lucky2 said:

How come I have to sign in every time I visit the site, that's a pita.

Len

@Lucky2 Len - its an issue Travis is aware of.  He's posted in some other threads that he is working on it.  It seems to maybe have been fixed - at least it seems that way for me today. (Fri. April 21) - I had some issues the past several days but haven't had them today so you might try again.  He did suggest that if you had the site bookmarked, to remove the bookmark and re bookmark it and to also clear out your browser history so that it doesn't go back to old cache pages.  Hopefully it works for you now too.  On a side note - I hope you are doing okay.  I have missed seeing your more regular posts.  Know life through you some curve balls a while back and just wanted you to know that I've missed seeing you here and your sharing!

Edited by meflick

Melanie, thanks for replying about my issue, the issue I was having seems to have corrected itself yesterday evening. As to my posting, your right life has thrown me a pretty tough curve ball. I'm having issues with it, and I'm trying to keep a low profile. I do check in to the few regular sites daily, but I don't much feel like participating in the goings on. Hopefully, I'l come around after a bit, I'm flying out tomorrow morning to spend some time with my daughter and her cat. She's going on vacation after we spend a few days together, and I will be cat sitting. There's lots to do in Ottawa, so I'm hoping to visit the war museum and a few other attractions.

Len