What Happened To SSV?

Travis

• Travis pinned this topic

Yes Travis, the Village has chanced slightly and it might take us a few days to get used to it. But the alternative of losing the SSV was unthinkable. I, for one(and probably not the only one) would like to say THANK YOU for all the hard work you do to keep the SSV running and a great place to visit and to meet "my second family" . The help I have received and the patterns that have been made for me have been invaluable, and the friends I have made here are irreplaceable.

THANK YOU again Travis

Keefie.

Edited by keefie

Thanks for what you do behind the scenes, thanks for the explaination, and I am really sorry to

hear that you spent your funds for a new saw to save this site. I wish I were better off financially to

help out but, somewhat like you, I am a regular guy trying to keep working to make ends meet and

support my family.  God Bless! Spirithorse

4 hours ago, Travis said:

Howdy All.

Last week, my hosting company sent me an email saying that SSV is taking too much server resources and they are limiting our server load.  They basically told me that I have to optimize the website so it requires less resources.  If I'm unable to comply, I'll have to upgrade my server, move my website somewhere else, or they will lock down the site.  While SSV seems like a small community, we have over 250,000 posts, 10,500 images, 6,500 members.  There usually is anywhere between 40-120 people on SSV simultaneously.  So we do use a lot of computing power.

....I'm happy to answer any of your questions here.  Please be nice to me.  I've had a rough week.  :shock:

Have you considered setting up a sub site on another host (free hosting, I am sure we can put with a little advertising if needed), and moving static things to that site?  Things like the pattern library, tutorials, video's, etc.

Then all you need is a link to the sub site url on this site for the topic

Hi Travis.

Thank you for the update.  I actually like the new format for the forum.  I don't use many other features but it looks good to me. 

The update was a painless to me and when you compare it to updates that occurred with other sites recently,  we are really fortunate.

I am a supporter but maybe you could added a donor button and I would and I am sure others would chip in a little more.

Don

PS:  I have been reading and I am not sure that I would buy a Jet.  It has a smaller thickness cut, the bottom teeth of reverse don't cut and if you want to top feed you SOL.  I love mu EX-21 and if I had to change I would be saving for a new Seyco or looking at an Excelsior if you are close to the Cdn border.  My 2 Cents. (oops no cents in Canada)

Anyone that uses a computer should understand that it isn't magic. It takes a lot of work to keep something like SSV running and your efforts Travis are greatly appreciated.

Forum updates can be deadly, It almost did in the SSWWC forum which has never fully recovered. 

Your efforts should not be coming out of your Toy fund, that is just not fair. I agree with Don about a donor button so that we can help with your expenses.

And if someone quits in a rage because of the changes , I say good riddance, you don't want folks like that on this forum.

6 minutes ago, Rolf said:

Anyone that uses a computer should understand that it isn't magic. It takes a lot of work to keep something like SSV running and your efforts Travis are greatly appreciated.

Forum updates can be deadly, It almost did in the SSWWC forum which has never fully recovered. 

Your efforts should not be coming out of your Toy fund, that is just not fair. I agree with Don about a donor button so that we can help with your expenses.

And if someone quits in a rage because of the changes , I say good riddance, you don't want folks like that on this forum.

I simply quoted Rolf since I totally agree.  If there is a way for us to donate beyond the supporter area, please let us know or give us away to help out with the forum. Your work to setup and maintain the Village and its forums are appreciated.  Sorry you've had a bad week, hopefully its on its way back up.  Also, if there is anything any of us can help you "behind the scenes" with things let us know that too.  Happy to help with anything you think a mere mortal could help with. ;)

P.S. - Thanks for finding and adding the siggy line area back so quickly.  I had missed it and hoped it wasn't gone for good. 

Edited by meflick

First a great big thank you Travis for all you do for us.   Thank you for your in dept explanation of what is occurring here.    So sorry to hear you are having to put off buying a new saw, that just shouldn't be happening.   I guess I don't quite understand why more members don't support this site with at least the small annual donation.   I think the cost of supporting this forum is the best bargain available.   I for one enjoy coming here and think this is a great forum.   I agree a donate button would be a great addition.   

I happen to be in a bad mood today nothing's going right !

But a can't find anything to say but thanks for your work and effort, you love what your doing and that's great but your not just doing it for yourself,  your doing it for us.

Don't worry to much about the complaints, that's part of what makes a family work

One last thought ..I been here a short time and have heard next to nothing about being or getting what you called supporter badges. Iam willing to help out a good cause  :-)

Thank you guys for your kind words.  That really means a lot.  After dealing with a bunch of angry emails, I really needed that to boost my spirits.

For those who want to support the site by buying a Supporter Badge, that is one area that isn't working correctly right now.  I'll get it back on track soon enough and post an announcement when that is working.

Several folks kindly said they'd like to pitch in a few bucks extra.  That is a lovely gesture and I'm blessed to have SSV members care that much.  I'll put on a PayPal donate button on the sidebar if you want to help.  It probably won't be there until this afternoon, though.  Please don't feel like you have to donate.  SSV is a free site.  But if you want to help, it'll be there.  You guys are awesome!

I haven't been around much lately so was a little surprised.  No big deal as I think all of the other groups have at some time had to redo their site and have changed the look of the site.  So glad you are still around and will hit the donate button when installed.  Hate you had to use the piggy bank as I am sure you had fond dreams of using the new saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

23 hours ago, Travis said:

Howdy All.

So SSV looks a bit different lately.  Things aren't where they used to be, other things I can't just find.  What's going on!?  Well, let me explain for those who haven't been keeping up with the different threads scattered around SSV.  I thought I'd pull it all together in one spot, so you all know what's going on.

Last week, my hosting company sent me an email saying that SSV is taking too much server resources and they are limiting our server load.  They basically told me that I have to optimize the website so it requires less resources.  If I'm unable to comply, I'll have to upgrade my server, move my website somewhere else, or they will lock down the site.  While SSV seems like a small community, we have over 250,000 posts, 10,500 images, 6,500 members.  There usually is anywhere between 40-120 people on SSV simultaneously.  So we do use a lot of computing power.

The thought of a dedicated server is certainly appealing, however, it's tremendously expensive.  I can barely afford to keep SSV running on it's own.  And moving to a new server would take the costs of running SSV from a few hundred dollars a year, to a few thousand dollars a year.  And while SSV Supporter Badges help me offset the costs, it comes no where close to paying for a dedicated server.  Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of a large publishing company to flip the bill for us.  

So my next best move is to do my best to optimize the website the best I can.  I've cleaned up the databases and updated our PHP.  Our software is a few years out of date and inefficient.  So I had to update the forum software too.  As you can imagine, when you upgrade software, they introduce new features, remove old features, update the look and fix performance issues.  During this move, it re-arranged certain things, but I'm getting them back to their right place.  The forums are in place and work the same way as before.  They have a slightly different look, but nothing too dramatic.  The Gallery and Pattern Library is also in place.  I have some more tweeking to do to that, but it's completely functional and seems to work well.  Blogs and Chat Room are still there and work the same way.  The Articles section is still intact, however the new software treats them differently.  So I have to figure out how to organize and update them before I make them public again.  The old pages are still there, but I have to fix them to work with the new software.  After that, it's mostly cosmetic.  I have a huge list of things I'm working on.  Some have higher priority than others, but I'm getting to them as fast as I can...I promise. ;)

This move came very sudden and I had to act quickly or risk losing SSV forever.  I drained my scroll saw fund to save the Village (I was a only couple weeks out from getting the new Jet scroll saw).  But it is worth it if we keep the lights on.  I poured my heart and soul into this community over the last 8 years.  I do not want to see it go away.  Rest assured that I will do everything I can to make SSV a great place to be.  

I've already received a number of angry emails and even one rage quit.  While I understand that things have changed, I didn't do it out of spite.  I did it to save SSV and the wonderful community we have built.  I'm just a regular guy.  I go to work every day, take care of my family, and I enjoy making sawdust in my garage whenever I can sneak away.  I'm not an expert IT guy.  Just someone who knows enough about computers to be dangerous.  I'm doing the best I can as fast as I can.  If you need to post or send me an email, take a moment to realize there is a regular person on the other side of that email doing everything he can to make it right.

I'm happy to answer any of your questions here.  Please be nice to me.  I've had a rough week.  :shock:

I'll request Mr, bill Gates throw a wad at you.i won't be able to send a few Shekels to you till the 1st.

Travis all I can say is THANK YOU and I appreciate all that you do for us.  If there was anything I could do to help I would but lets face it, you would be in a bigger mess if I did that.  :lol:  Don't forget to take time out with your family, they need you too AND breath.

Marg