Help & Bug Report

Travis

12 hours ago, Travis said:

. . .  In order for me to bring down the server load so we can get SSV back on track, I have to limit what we can share with Guest browsers.  It pains me to do this, but here's what i'm going to do.  The Gallery and Pattern Library will no longer be browsable unless you're logged in.  I think this will make a big difference on our server load. . . . 

SSV is still free!  You can still register for a free membership.  You'll just need to be logged in to access all the great stuff SSV has to offer.

If we reduce our server load, the hosting company will lift the restrictions.  Once the restrictions are lifted, SSV will operate properly.  Once SSV is working the way it needs to, we can continue to share and chat and enjoy eachother's company.  And hopefully, everything will be back to normal.

I don't think its asking too much for people to login to get access to the gallery and the pattern library.  The key thing we need to say repeatedly and often, everywhere we can is that it is FREE to register and still FREE patterns, etc. If that is what it takes to reduce the traffic load so that the Village stays in place then that's what you gotta do.  You might also talk to the server people and see what suggestions that they have that will help cut down on the resources being used that put us too far over the top for them.

A little update.  I think I got some good work done.  The login issues seem to be doing better.  I hope you are experiencing the same.  Let me know if it's still acting up for you.

As I mentioned in this post, I'm going to restrict access for guest browsers.  This will help our resource consumption and stabilize SSV.  If you're logged into SSV, you won't see any difference (did I mention membership is free!?).  But if you're a Guest browser, you only have access to certain areas.  Here's what I did:

• Guests have access to read the following forums:  Introductions, General Scroll Sawing, SSV News, Help & Feedback.
  • Guests can read topic titles in the rest of the forums.  But if they want to read the messages, they'll have to log in. 
  • Guests can see recent uploads in the sidebar of the forum.  However, they cannot view the image directly.  They'll have to log in.
  • Guests can't browse the User Gallery.
  • Guests can see the categories in the Pattern Library, but cannot browse.
  • Guests can't access the Activity feed, Chat Room, or Blogs.

As I bring back the other features, I'll decide on a case-by-case basis.

I also fixed some Gallery functionality.  It should be working the way we want it to.  I also put a couple quick links on the top of the Gallery and Pattern Library tab where you can upload either project photos or patterns to the Pattern Library.  Gallery also had this strange function where you didn't have to post in an album.  I removed that option as well.

Off to the next task. :)

Another quick update.  I have the Supporter Badges working again.  The upgrade broke the store and you couldn't complete the transaction to buy or renew your supporter badge.  I was finally able to get that working again.  It is now located in the Shop tab.  You can also manage your account there too.  It used to be in your Account Settings, but it looks like they moved it.  So everything is now accessible on the Store tab.

For those of you that don't know, the Supporter Badge is a way to support SSV and offset the costs of running this awesome community.  If you choose to become an SSV Patron, you get badge below your Avatar that says Supporter and a special title that says SSV Patron.  You get a few other pirks too.  The best is it turns off the ads on SSV (except for the banners at the top).  Right now there aren't any ads, but I'll be re-implementing them soon.  You also get a larger mailbox, more notifications, unlimited albums, unlimited images per album, up to 25 blogs, and that warm fuzzy feeling, knowing you are supporting SSV!  You can find more information here.

Thanks everybody for your support!  I really appreciate it.

10 hours ago, Travis said:

A little update.  I think I got some good work done.  The login issues seem to be doing better.  I hope you are experiencing the same.  Let me know if it's still acting up for you.

As I mentioned in this post, I'm going to restrict access for guest browsers.  This will help our resource consumption and stabilize SSV.  If you're logged into SSV, you won't see any difference (did I mention membership is free!?).  But if you're a Guest browser, you only have access to certain areas.  Here's what I did:

• Guests have access to read the following forums:  Introductions, General Scroll Sawing, SSV News, Help & Feedback.
  • Guests can read topic titles in the rest of the forums.  But if they want to read the messages, they'll have to log in. 
  • Guests can see recent uploads in the sidebar of the forum.  However, they cannot view the image directly.  They'll have to log in.
  • Guests can't browse the User Gallery.
  • Guests can see the categories in the Pattern Library, but cannot browse.
  • Guests can't access the Activity feed, Chat Room, or Blogs.

As I bring back the other features, I'll decide on a case-by-case basis.

I also fixed some Gallery functionality.  It should be working the way we want it to.  I also put a couple quick links on the top of the Gallery and Pattern Library tab where you can upload either project photos or patterns to the Pattern Library.  Gallery also had this strange function where you didn't have to post in an album.  I removed that option as well.

Off to the next task. :)

I've installed a new feature!  Now quotes will only show the first 3 lines.  If you want to read the whole quote, you can click the "Read More" link at the bottom of the quote.  I've included a quick sample above.  

7 hours ago, Phantom Scroller said:

Can't find a delete button on notifications or messages could be me but it was there before. Roly

I don't think you can delete them.  I think they just cycle through now.  So new notifications push off the old ones.  When you click the Notification's button, you should see the newest ones at the top.  Once you look, the pink button with the number should disappear.  Let me know if that's not working for you.

19 minutes ago, Travis said:

I don't think you can delete them.  I think they just cycle through now.  So new notifications push off the old ones.  When you click the Notification's button, you should see the newest ones at the top.  Once you look, the pink button with the number should disappear.  Let me know if that's not working for you.

I get it that's better than manually doing it. Works fine for me. Thanks Travis for the quick response. Roly

On 4/20/2017 at 6:08 AM, Travis said:

Howdy All.  I know there is a lot of work that still needs to happen to get SSV back to it's former glory.  I'm going to start a list of some of the common problems and the solution to fixing them here.  I'll update this list as I can.  If you are experiencing trouble, looking for something or want to report a bug, this is the place to ask.

If you are having trouble logging in, you can email me at  travis@scrollsawvillage.com or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the website.

Hi Travis, I have SSV at the top of my favourites list in google chrome,(windows10).When I click on ssv a page comes up telling me.

"Sorry, there is a problem. The page you requested DOES NOT EXIST. Error Code 1S160/2. It also gives the same message when I click on Phantom Scroller's site, within the forum. The strange thing is, everything else works. Sorry if this causes you more headaches than you already have Travis. Technology and I are not particularly good friends, I'm afraid. Thank you for all you do for us Travis.

Rob Roy.

Restricting "lurker's" access put this forum in line with most other forums I have been a member of or have visited.  A lot of forums will not even let you see pictures posted in members posts unless you are a member.

Personally, I really like the upgrade.  Great job, Travis.  Thank you.

I will just through this out there, but maybe you could give options on how much a person want to give to be a Supporter, i.e. $10, $15 or $20.  Doesn't need to change the Supporter Badge, just a personal thing on what level a person wants to support.  I think you would find many are willing to do it at a higher level.  I know they could make a donation plus support, but this would make it easier for a person to throw in a little more.

3 hours ago, Rob Roy said:

Hi Travis, I have SSV at the top of my favourites list in google chrome,(windows10).When I click on ssv a page comes up telling me.

"Sorry, there is a problem. The page you requested DOES NOT EXIST. Error Code 1S160/2. It also gives the same message when I click on Phantom Scroller's site, within the forum. The strange thing is, everything else works. Sorry if this causes you more headaches than you already have Travis. Technology and I are not particularly good friends, I'm afraid. Thank you for all you do for us Travis.

Rob Roy.

I think you might have to update your shortcut/bookmark.  The old site used to be www.scrollsawvillage.com/forum, now it's www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums (has the S at the end of forum).  As a result, it will give you the message you're reporting.

3 hours ago, Scrappile said:

but maybe you could give options on how much a person want to give to be a Supporter, i.e. $10, $15 or $20.  Doesn't need to change the Supporter Badge, just a personal thing on what level a person wants to support.  I think you would find many are willing to do it at a higher level.  I know they could make a donation plus support, but this would make it easier for a person to throw in a little more.

That's a good idea.  I'll have to see how I can set that up.  Thanks!

18 hours ago, Travis said:

I think you might have to update your shortcut/bookmark.  The old site used to be www.scrollsawvillage.com/forum, now it's www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums (has the S at the end of forum).  As a result, it will give you the message you're reporting.

Did as you instructed Travis. Working fine now. Where would we be without you and Clayton. Thank you once again.

Rob Roy

I was able to get the Articles section working again.  It took a bit, but I was able to recover it.  Articles are treated a little bit different than before, but everything is there.  My next step is to make it pretty and easy to navigate.  But until then, there's a great resource of scroll saw articles. :)