Help & Bug Report

Travis

First issue: I land on the forums page from a bookmark. I see that under General Scrollsawing the last replied to thread was something about Members Name. So I click on it. Done reading, I hit the back button. But it doesn't go back. It just reloads the same page about Members Name. Over and over and over. The only way to get back to the main forum page, is to go back and click on my bookmark.

Second issue: Something isn't loading, or is forcing a constant reload. I'm typing this on one tab. As I'm typing the icon up on the tab itself keeps recycling every 2 seconds. I've got the main forum page open on another tab, and it is constantly recycling - like it's checking something every single second. That's just not right.

And the site is still slow. Not slow enough to time out, but slow enough to remind me of dialup modems. Might have to do with the second issue?

FF 53.0, Windows 10.

Edit: It might be related to those GIF type ads up top. When all three are using rotating images, it recycles constantly. When 2/3 use rotating images it still recycles but at a slower pace.  Also, I got sidelined again trying to get here to type because I clicked the wrong link and ended up on my profile page and the back arrow didn't work there either, I had to use the bookmark again, then drill on down to this thread and hope I didn't click a wrong link on the way.

Edited by JOE_M

6 hours ago, JOE_M said:

First issue: I land on the forums page from a bookmark. I see that under General Scrollsawing the last replied to thread was something about Members Name. So I click on it. Done reading, I hit the back button. But it doesn't go back. It just reloads the same page about Members Name. Over and over and over. The only way to get back to the main forum page, is to go back and click on my bookmark.

Second issue: Something isn't loading, or is forcing a constant reload. I'm typing this on one tab. As I'm typing the icon up on the tab itself keeps recycling every 2 seconds. I've got the main forum page open on another tab, and it is constantly recycling - like it's checking something every single second. That's just not right.

And the site is still slow. Not slow enough to time out, but slow enough to remind me of dialup modems. Might have to do with the second issue?

FF 53.0, Windows 10.

Edit: It might be related to those GIF type ads up top. When all three are using rotating images, it recycles constantly. When 2/3 use rotating images it still recycles but at a slower pace.  Also, I got sidelined again trying to get here to type because I clicked the wrong link and ended up on my profile page and the back arrow didn't work there either, I had to use the bookmark again, then drill on down to this thread and hope I didn't click a wrong link on the way.

Hmm...I'm not having trouble with the back button.  It's responding the way I'd expect it to.  Anybody else having troubles?  If so, I can put in a ticket with the software company to investigate.

There is some javascript that is loaded when you log onto SSV.  It keeps track of user sessions and updates any notifications.  The banners at the top and the Google ads are loaded via another service.  The only other thing I can think of is if you're using Avast while browsing.  I know Avast has caused a lot of grief to SSV members.  I find once that's switched off, the issues go away.  Not sure if that applies to you or not.

The site is being throttled by our hosting provider (which is the reason behind the upgrade).  We're trying to reduce the server load, so the restrictions can be lifted.  But if you're visiting at peek hours, you might see some delay.  With that said, I haven't noticed any severe lag.

Nope, no Avast.

Edit: And when I enable ad-blocker the problem stops (I just get that red bar across the top asking me to turn off my AdBlock). The little symbol on the tab doesn't show it as reloading, and the back buttonworks fine.

Edited by JOE_M

36 minutes ago, Travis said:

Hmmm...I wonder if it's one of the Google Ads.

Is the back button working regardless if you have adblocker on or not?  Trying to figure out if thats a separate issue.

I just got stuck on the "Hi I'm Jim" thread. If the adblock is on, so I don't see ads, then everything is fine.

If I turn adblock off, so I see the three ads up top, and the ads in the middle of the page, then it starts doing the recycling thing up top, and the back button refuses to work.

It was doing the recycling thing when I started this reply (adblock is off) and then it stopped. I scrolled up and the ad that appears in the middle of the page between posts is broken. I don't know what it's supposed to say, but it looks like the attached pic.

broken ad.jpg

On 4/28/2017 at 2:28 PM, Travis said:

I was able to get the Articles section working again.  It took a bit, but I was able to recover it.  Articles are treated a little bit different than before, but everything is there.  My next step is to make it pretty and easy to navigate.  But until then, there's a great resource of scroll saw articles. :)

better you than me

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, Travis said:

Another quick update.  I have the Supporter Badges working again.  The upgrade broke the store and you couldn't complete the transaction to buy or renew your supporter badge.  I was finally able to get that working again.  It is now located in the Shop tab.  You can also manage your account there too.  It used to be in your Account Settings, but it looks like they moved it.  So everything is now accessible on the Store tab.

For those of you that don't know, the Supporter Badge is a way to support SSV and offset the costs of running this awesome community.  If you choose to become an SSV Patron, you get badge below your Avatar that says Supporter and a special title that says SSV Patron.  You get a few other pirks too.  The best is it turns off the ads on SSV (except for the banners at the top).  Right now there aren't any ads, but I'll be re-implementing them soon.  You also get a larger mailbox, more notifications, unlimited albums, unlimited images per album, up to 25 blogs, and that warm fuzzy feeling, knowing you are supporting SSV!  You can find more information here.

Thanks everybody for your support!  I really appreciate it.

Not a big deal but my SUPPORTER badge is not showing.  I logged out, shut down IE, restarted IE and logged back in and still no badge.  This is not a critical item so no big rush please.

16 hours ago, RangerJay said:

Had trouble with the Pattern Gallery tonight - was trying to browse through the Transportation section and could only view the bottom row of each page - would not scroll back above the bottom row on any page.

Jay 

@RangerJay What web browser are you using?  Did you try closing your web browser and relaunching?  I'm wondering if something got hung up.

2 hours ago, Travis said:

@RangerJay What web browser are you using?  Did you try closing your web browser and relaunching?  I'm wondering if something got hung up.

Travis,

You're right - I usually use Chrome - tried it just now - was able to scroll through the Pattern Library using the bar at the side but not the scrolling wheel on my mouse - closed and reloaded Chrome - works just fine.  Also tried Edge - also OK.

Thanks - and sorry for the false alarm.

Jay

• Travis unpinned this topic
48 minutes ago, DonR said:

@travis  Just to let you know that I am having problems staying logged in. It has logged me out a couple of times today and seems to be very slow.

Don R

I'm having the same problems this morning @Travis.  I haven't had any problems in a couple weeks now with the login and it staying logged in, but am having problems with it this morning.  It has been "slow" for me the past couple of days but even more so this morning.  I'm on my Mac using Safari.  Will try a restart on my end and see if that helps anything.

Edited to add: Cleared my history, shutdown safari and then rebooted my computer.  Still seems to be an issue with the login not holding for me.  Will hold while in one subforum it seems, and then loses it when I try to switch subforums.  When I "sign it" - it doesn't seem to take the first time and it takes me to the sign in page and says "required" next to the login name and password areas.

Edited by meflick

Just a "me too". Slow as molasses and the main forum page says I'm not logged in, but when I click through to a thread it says I am.

A few days (week?) ago I tried to view the site and got a hostgator page saying it was down. I had them as a web host for an online store a few years ago, they lasted less than a week before I had to move on. I hope you have better luck.

I checked our logs.  We got a huge spike in CPU usage last night.  I'm not sure what's going on.  The only thing I can think of is someone or several someones are looking at patterns.  Instead of opening one window/pattern at a time, they must be opening a whole bunch of patterns in new tabs at the same time so they can sort through them.  That pings the server to death, and I think we got put into that lockdown again.  Now we're in the lock, they are supplying us with server-side cached data, which causes our login issues and slow response times.

You can force a refresh on your web browser by using Ctrl+F5.  This usually will bounce back your login status.

I locked out guests from browsing all of the forums.  They can only see thread topic names.  They'll have to log in to read the thread.  I'm hoping this might reduce some strain on the servers and get our block lifted.  The next options get expensive.  So hopefully this does the trick.

6 hours ago, Travis said:

The only thing I can think of is someone or several someones are looking at patterns. 

There are other possibilities. You should have a log where you can look at the IP addresses of your visitors and what pages/links they're clicking on. You may want to go through that and look for anything out of the ordinary.