Dust collecting box.

hawkeye10

Nothing new or fancy here. A week or so ago I saw here where some one put a small box under their saw to collect dust. Well I thought I would try that and it seems to work pretty good. I used those plastic cable ties to attach it to the back and a piece of metal strapping and a rare earth magnet to hold it in place in the front. To clean it out I pull the box down from the magnet and stick my shop vac hose it there. Having it tied in the back doesn't bother me because so far I haven't needed to tilt my table. If I do need to tilt it I will cut it loose and replace it when I am through.

wh5HBTZ.jpg

OVFrofJ.jpg

Don, great minds as they say.  I did this on my saw just two weeks ago.  I don't know why I waited to long to do it.  Catches the saw dust that use to end up on my pants, slippers (I wear slippers more than shoes), floor and my foot pedal.  It also catches the little cut off that use to end up on the floor.  The ones that stay on the table top I use to try to toss the in the garbage can, but missed 90% of time so they were all over the floor.  Now I just drop them in the box with the broken and use blades. 

If you wand a nicer box go to  a cigar store and check, may give you a few or sell them cheap.  I us that because I have around 30 left from my cigar box guitar making days.  Maybe mine was the one you saw on a saw.....

dust on hegner.jpg

Edited by Scrappile

6 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Don, great minds as they say.  I did this on my saw just two weeks ago.  I don't know why I waited to long to do it.  Catches the saw dust that use to end up on my pants, slippers (I wear slippers more than shoes), floor and my foot pedal.  It also catches the little cut off that use to end up on the floor.  The ones that stay on the table top I use to try to toss the in the garbage can, but missed 90% of time so they were all over the floor.  Now I just drop them in the box with the broken and use blades. 

If you wand a nicer box go to  a cigar store and check, may give you a few or sell them cheap.  I us that because I have around 30 left from my cigar box guitar making days.  Maybe mine was the one you saw on a saw.....

dust on hegner.jpg

Paul from your picture it looks like yours is working pretty good.

12 hours ago, hawkeye10 said:

Nothing new or fancy here. A week or so ago I saw here where some one put a small box under their saw to collect dust. Well I thought I would try that and it seems to work pretty good. I used those plastic cable ties to attach it to the back and a piece of metal strapping and a rare earth magnet to hold it in place in the front. To clean it out I pull the box down from the magnet and stick my shop vac hose it there. Having it tied in the back doesn't bother me because so far I haven't needed to tilt my table. If I do need to tilt it I will cut it loose and replace it when I am through.

wh5HBTZ.jpg

OVFrofJ.jpg

Perfect idea ,i definetly need to catch little pieces that break off and never find Thanks!

All interesting approaches.  Some a little "nicer looking" then others ;) but all effective at their jobs looks like.  I really like the tray Paul @woodduck added.  I like it gives a place to set his blade holder he made from looks like Steve Good's pattern with the test tube style holders.  I made two of those myself and have been trying to decide the best way to keep them handy.  Presently, they are sitting on the bottom "shelf" of the saw's stand.  Will have to give this a little more thought and maybe give it a try. Thanks everyone who shared photos of your approach.

I had seen this tip somewhere also, then when I started cutting I plumb forgot about it till now.  Thanks guys!!  

We have a cigar shop here that sells wood boxes for $5 each.  I've gone and looked a few times, but the owner seems to always be in a deep conversation with a tobacco customer.  I am hoping to get him alone and chat a bit, buy a few of the boxes and possibly get a discount for volume sales.  The ones I have seen in the stacks of boxes so far, are a bit high priced for $5.  Maybe I'm just cheap, I dunno.