Square

edward

1 hour ago, edward said:

Just received my square reader   today, only took about 2 weeks to get, now I have to download the app on my phone. I don't charge tax, hope thats not a problem.  edward

During the setup you'll have the option of adding tax of not.  I don't charge tax either, it's included in my sale price and I report state sales tax quarterly.

55 minutes ago, ike said:

I don't accept credit cards I will take a check for a single item, Have never got stuck with a check. I just feel this is a hobby not a business I just like to make expences.

IKE

Hey Ike, mine is not a business either. I just do two shows a year. BUT, when I started taking cards my sales increased by at least 40%! I'd say that's a good reason for taking credit cards.

15 hours ago, edward said:

Just received my square reader   today, only took about 2 weeks to get, now I have to download the app on my phone. I don't charge tax, hope thats not a problem.  edward

It will be if PA tax authorities - local find out.  You should collect tax - even if it is built into the price of the work you are selling.  This way you are covered when they want to collect.  You should keep track of the 6% PA sales tax, just in case.

DW

I just got a square and used my debt to test it. I did not swipe it the right way so it came up did not take and to input card number which I did. It went through alright and a dollar was taken out. It did not occur to me that it would cost a charge and the higher amount since it was entered manually. I got 81 cents placed back in my checking account who knew a test could not be free. 

On 4/24/2017 at 3:29 PM, WayneMahler said:

Glad to hear you got your reader. I know mine has helped me a lot.

Mine has never asked about tax. That is setup when you create your account. If you leave it blank, no tax. 

Most things involving money are federally operated.Paypal is one of them.IRS is in tune with this.Carefull

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:26 AM, amazingkevin said:

Most things involving money are federally operated.Paypal is one of them.IRS is in tune with this.Carefull

To get a 1099-K tax form from your credit card processor you have to have over 200 credit card transactions per calendar year AND gross credit card sales over $20,000. We all wish we had that issue.  No one cares about a few $100.

10 hours ago, NC Scroller said:

To get a 1099-K tax form from your credit card processor you have to have over 200 credit card transactions per calendar year AND gross credit card sales over $20,000. We all wish we had that issue.  No one cares about a few $100.

I wouldn't count on that statement of "No one cares about a few $100.. My cousin works for the state of Michigan doing audits on people who sell online etc that 1) doesn't claim their use tax  2) are not collecting and reporting their sales tax.. she said that many states are really cracking down on this...  Use tax is a tax that you should be paying on products that you purchase online that you didn't pay any tax for.. When she found out I was selling my works online she warned me about how the state and the IRS is really cracking down on those that are saying they are just a hobby and not really reporting their earnings..

I might have to look into square to see if their customer service is any better than paypal. I had my first chargeback in 8 years! Responding with details via the internet was impossible so I had to call paypal. They give you a phone number and code to enter. Waited 6 minutes for them to answer. It went smoothly after that.

The reason for the chargeback was that the individual did not recognize the charge on his statement from GA on the statement. The craft fair was in AL. I was able to contact him only because the charge was made by a Dr. So I googled the Doc and found his telephone # and called him. Very apologetic and said he would put a check in the mail - which he did.

I'm wondering if it worthwhile capturing a telephone number on all charges now? otherwise no way to contact individuals.