🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Zero Clearance

Scrappile

When I do delicate pictures I need a zero clearance table top.  In the past I have made a 1/8" table top to put on my Ex with a little hole drilled in it for the blade and "zero" clearance.  Over time the hole get bigger and bigger until there is no more zero clearance.  When that happened I made a new table top.  Last night it hit me, like duh, why replace the whole table top.  Why not just drill a larger hole, make an insert kinda like my Hagner has.  Here it is, took me about 15 minutes and I can easily make a supply of inserts to replace worn out ones.  So simple.

zero Clearance.jpg

Edited by Scrappile

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

When I do delicate pictures I need a zero clearance table top.  In the past I have made a 1/8" table top to put on my Ex with a little hole drilled in it for the blade and "zero" clearance.  Over time the hole get bigger and bigger until there is no more zero clearance.  When that happened I made a new table top.  Last night it hit me, like duh, why replace the whole table top.  Why not just drill a larger hole, make an insert kinda like my Hagner has.  Here it is, took me about 15 minutes and I can easily make a supply of inserts to replace worn out ones.  So simple.

zero Clearance.jpg

Yes it takes a wile for things to sink in ,Glad you figured it out

Great idea,  Are those screws holding the top in place?  I made one for my second scroll saw from a piece of 1/4" plywood and used a couple of machine screws to hold it in place.  I drilled and tapped the top to hold the screws.  Could have just used bolts and nuts.  Worked pretty good, but it didn't have a replaceable insert.

Edited by jollyred

2 minutes ago, jollyred said:

Great idea,  Are those screws holding the top in place?  I made one for my second scroll saw from a piece of 1/4" plywood and used a couple of machine screws to hold it in place.  I drilled and tapped the top to hold the screws.  Could have just used bolts and nuts.  Worked pretty good, but it didn't have a replaceable insert.

Those are the original screws that hold the table top. they were long enough to use.