🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Not Impressed.

wombatie

I got myself a LED lamp / Magnifier round about early February last year and I only used it for my Dewalt, I have a different light for my EX21.  I did do a fair amount of scrolling last year but when I turned it on a month or so ago it kept going off.  I ask Terry to open it up for me so that I could see what I needed to get it working again and it turns out that the LEDs are soldered in.  Does this mean I have to throw it away and get a new one?  If it does I am $80 down the drain for what amounts to about 3 months work out of 12.

Marg

15 minutes ago, Rolf said:

Have you tried contacting the MFG? Do all of the LEDS go off? If so then it is either the power supply or a connection or maybe a switch problem.

If it comes on for a while and then quits then I would lean towards a defective power supply that is heating up.

For future info for me, is the power supply something you can change out, kinda like the ballast in a Florescent light?

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Sorry to hear about your light Marge.  It looks like mine, so I checked.  Yep, mine is the exact same model number.....

I bought it around May last year and also threw the box out.  I'm hoping mine doesn't go the same way. :cry:

Rob

I hope so too Rob.

Sorry to hear about your light Marg.

I think you'll find that the problem is the "driver". Similar to a fluorescent ballast, usually small cube with two input wires( L/N ) and two output wires ( +/- ). You might unplug the unit and check the connections to the driver, rare for the LED's to go bad. As others have said, dust could be a problem on a circuit board.

See if you can get a number off of the driver itself, they do make replacements. Voltage and wattage is what you'll need to order. In your case 220-240V. 9 watts.

Hope this helps.

On 27/04/2017 at 9:39 PM, Be_O_Be said:

Sorry to hear about your light Marg.

I think you'll find that the problem is the "driver". Similar to a fluorescent ballast, usually small cube with two input wires( L/N ) and two output wires ( +/- ). You might unplug the unit and check the connections to the driver, rare for the LED's to go bad. As others have said, dust could be a problem on a circuit board.

See if you can get a number off of the driver itself, they do make replacements. Voltage and wattage is what you'll need to order. In your case 220-240V. 9 watts.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bob, I will get Terry to have a look tomorrow.  Cheers.

Marg

Marg have ALL the LED's gone out or just some of them? If all of them are out it is the driver board that takes the main and makes the voltage what the LED's can use.  Almost always it is something simple like a blown transistor or capacitor, or even a fuse.  If you have not checked yet, check the fuse. its the easiest thing to check, however it does not sound like it from your description. You might be able to order the driver board and replace it.

DW

• 3 weeks later...

An update on my lamp.....I took it back to the shop but because it was over a year old the warranty had elapsed.  It turned out that it was the switch that was the problem.  Anyway to cut a long story short I now have a new one.  I was going to upgrade until I saw the prices so I settled for the lower end model like I had but even that cost me $30 more than last year.  :cry:

Marg

If you can pull the switch out enough to read the writing on the sides of it, you may be able to find a source for a replacement switch. The internet is a great way to find sources. A little unsoldering, and resoldering plus a little re-assembly and your lamp could be like new again. Light manufacturers only vary rarely make their own switches. Most are sourced as an OEM part from other manufacturers. Sometimes the manufacturer will send a sample, so if they won't sell in small quantities, ask for a sample (you only need one). Good luck with your search.

Charley