Puzzles

tonylumps

I am a lawyer and was just planning some shop made toys for gifts.  I was wondering about what size constitutes a choking hazard.  My wife, a registered nurse, can tell some bizarre stories about things swallowed, even by adults, especially at full moon. 

I don't know if the Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued any guidelines for what it considers a choking hazard for tender ages.   Will check when I get the chance. (it will probably be in some incomprehensible bureaucratese"

check here for a start: https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manufacturing/Business-Education/Business-Guidance/Small-Parts-for-Toys-and-Childrens-Products

Simpler and larger than I expected.  It is a small part choker if the part fits into a cylinder with an internal size of 1.25 inches in diameter by 2.25 inches long, (if I read it correctly)

Edited by zimmerstutzen

11 hours ago, tonylumps said:

Does anyone put age requirements or choke hazard on the puzzles that you sell.With all of these special Lawyers out there.

travis did a talk about this and more when i first joined .such as has your product been tested for lead ,ETC,It was amazing all the things that are involve with sale of manufactured product.Apparently we have to go thru the same process as ant company whith expensive test.

I was going to make a tic tac toe board with pegs for a 5 year old that has two infant brothers.  Then I thought about the choking hazard of the pegs, so I decided to make the pegs much larger.  Now i figure I will turn them so they are just over 1.25 inches in diameter at the top and maybe 3/4 inch where they fit the board.  The puzzle I planned to make was already over size in all the pieces.    But I was concerned about making sure the wood will resist cracking and splintering, so I think I will use a piece of hard kiln dried maple.  .  

3 hours ago, zimmerstutzen said:

I was going to make a tic tac toe board with pegs for a 5 year old that has two infant brothers.  Then I thought about the choking hazard of the pegs, so I decided to make the pegs much larger.  Now i figure I will turn them so they are just over 1.25 inches in diameter at the top and maybe 3/4 inch where they fit the board.  The puzzle I planned to make was already over size in all the pieces.    But I was concerned about making sure the wood will resist cracking and splintering, so I think I will use a piece of hard kiln dried maple.  .  

Oops!

Just finished a bunch of triangle peg puzzles. Dimensions of choking hazards never crossed my mind. I simply bought a bag of golf 2 1/4 golf pegs. 

tripeg.jpg.4936dc7aacd6b28e6d86d68492244c59.jpg

Gary, it isn't like those are geared for kids under three.  Same for the tic tac toe board.  But I wanted to keep it safe, knowing there was a two year old and four month old in the house as well.  Can't imagine how bad I would feel if a young child died playing with a toy I made.   "Nothing is ever fool proof.  Fools ingeniously keep finding ways to get hurt"

I would definitely label those though.  "Not for children under 3 years of age"     .

3 hours ago, zimmerstutzen said:

Gary, it isn't like those are geared for kids under three.  Same for the tic tac toe board.  But I wanted to keep it safe, knowing there was a two year old and four month old in the house as well.  Can't imagine how bad I would feel if a young child died playing with a toy I made.   "Nothing is ever fool proof.  Fools ingeniously keep finding ways to get hurt"

I would definitely label those though.  "Not for children under 3 years of age"     .

Thank you for the reassurance zimmer! Like you I am constantly battling myself on the possibilities of something going wrong. You are exactly right! Fools are ingenious in finding way to get hurt. That label is something I will do.

Thank you!

G

On 4/25/2017 at 6:17 PM, zimmerstutzen said:

I am a lawyer and was just planning some shop made toys for gifts.  I was wondering about what size constitutes a choking hazard.  My wife, a registered nurse, can tell some bizarre stories about things swallowed, even by adults, especially at full moon. 

I don't know if the Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued any guidelines for what it considers a choking hazard for tender ages.   Will check when I get the chance. (it will probably be in some incomprehensible bureaucratese"

I put a warning label on all my puzzles that have choking pieces. There are govt guidelines on what constitutes a choking hazard. Just google for the guidelines on dimensions. I used those dimensions to build a gizmo with those dimensions which I take to craft shows to show folks choking and no-choking pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea.. I am sure I will forget this when / if I make puzzles though.. LOL 

Also could do this to stick to the bottom of certain items or backs of portraits etc to mark / brand your products.. if you use clear coats you could probably spray right over it to be sure it stays on too.. got those little wheels rollin round in my head now.. LOL

Kevin