🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Board widener

jollyred

I recently needed some thin boards wider than the ones I have.  I looked at the prices on the wider boards, and decided I would try to save the cost of having the supplier edge glue them for me.  Many years ago I found out how to do this.  I could not find the jig I used then so I made a new and improved one.  It will go up to 8" wide, which is as wide as I think I will be needing.  It consists of a fixed fence on one side of a base, with an adjustable fence on the other side.  The boards are placed between the fences, with the fences adjusted to raise the centers of the boards above the surface of the base.  When the centers are forced down against the base, they come together with enough force to make a good glue joint.  Then a caul is clamped along the center joint to keep it flush with the surface.  After the glue sets, the pressure is released from the fences and then the caul is removed.  I wax the base and the caul to prevent the glue from sticking to them.

Of course the quality of the joint depends on getting the edges to be glued straight and square.  I used a hand plane to do this.

The first photo shows the jig with the narrow boards ready to have glue applied.   I usually just run a bead of glue down the center gap, then work it into the gap with a piece of paper.  Next to the clamp are the shims I use to hold the centers of the boards up while I am adjusting the fence.  

The second photo shows the pieces clamped up, waiting for the glue to cure.

The third photo shows the glued up board.  The glue squeeze out needs to be removed, which I do with a cabinet scraper followed by sanding.  This is the most tedious part of the whole operation.

GLUING JIG 1.JPG

GLUING JIG 2.JPG

GLUING JIG 3.JPG

11 hours ago, jollyred said:

I recently needed some thin boards wider than the ones I have.  I looked at the prices on the wider boards, and decided I would try to save the cost of having the supplier edge glue them for me.  Many years ago I found out how to do this.  I could not find the jig I used then so I made a new and improved one.  It will go up to 8" wide, which is as wide as I think I will be needing.  It consists of a fixed fence on one side of a base, with an adjustable fence on the other side.  The boards are placed between the fences, with the fences adjusted to raise the centers of the boards above the surface of the base.  When the centers are forced down against the base, they come together with enough force to make a good glue joint.  Then a caul is clamped along the center joint to keep it flush with the surface.  After the glue sets, the pressure is released from the fences and then the caul is removed.  I wax the base and the caul to prevent the glue from sticking to them.

Of course the quality of the joint depends on getting the edges to be glued straight and square.  I used a hand plane to do this.

The first photo shows the jig with the narrow boards ready to have glue applied.   I usually just run a bead of glue down the center gap, then work it into the gap with a piece of paper.  Next to the clamp are the shims I use to hold the centers of the boards up while I am adjusting the fence.  

The second photo shows the pieces clamped up, waiting for the glue to cure.

The third photo shows the glued up board.  The glue squeeze out needs to be removed, which I do with a cabinet scraper followed by sanding.  This is the most tedious part of the whole operation.

GLUING JIG 1.JPG

GLUING JIG 2.JPG

GLUING JIG 3.JPG

seeing the pictures i just figured out why my edges are not straight,It's because i was sawing the wood wrong,thanks buddy i did not need to buy an edge planner now.