🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Yellow heart finish

trackman

Yellowheart is a hardwood that will keep its color without fading or darkening.

to bring out the color I always use an oil. I use a 50/50 mix of Boild linseed oil and mineral spirits. I usually soak it in an old backing pan. Let the oil drip off, then wipe it down with a clean rag. Let dry for at least 24 hours, then apply your topcoat of choice. I use a spray semi gloss Laqcuer.

make sure you show us the finished project!

Edited by dgman

Del, there is no finish that I know of, that will or can stop wood from loosing it color/changing in appearance. You'll find that over time no matter what you use, the wood will eventually change color. You will get one of two effects, it will either darken in color or it will lose most of its color. Generally, if I want a piece of wood to remain a certain color, I will use a tint or dye close to the original color of the wood. Then to finish the project, I'll use an automotive clear coat finish. This clear coat finish doesn't yellow, and you can get a beautiful finish from using it. However, it won't stop the wood from discoloring, that's what I use the dye for.

Len

On 4/26/2017 at 8:14 PM, dgman said:

Yellowheart is a hardwood that will keep its color without fading or darkening.

to bring out the color I always use an oil. I use a 50/50 mix of Boild linseed oil and mineral spirits. I usually soak it in an old backing pan. Let the oil drip off, then wipe it down with a clean rag. Let dry for at least 24 hours, then apply your topcoat of choice. I use a spray semi gloss Laqcuer.

make sure you show us the finished project!

good info to know ,thanks!