🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Hi I am Jim finn and I am lost here.

Jim Finn

You did fine,,, calm down, relax, have a glass, and slowly check it out.  It is a little different, but it is nice once you explore and get use  to it.  If you are logged in, your user name and avatar well show in the upper right of the screen.  Not sure what icons you speak of but if it is the "Create", I'm not sure, the bell is where you see your notifications and the envelop is were your messages are.  If you wonder how I can take this all so calmly, I just had a glass of wine and have been listening to relaxing music...... I'm in a zone..... Welcome back.

I see I am so relaxed, Clayton typed faster than me.  Okay it was two glasses of wine....

Edited by Scrappile

2 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

How does this site now work?  I do not even know if I am logged in or not.

What to the icons at the top right mean?

I have been gone a week and only got this far back.

I am still lost.

I wonder if this will post.

Hi jim, i had a regular routine of first things i did when logged in.the change is nice but really upset my time wasting trying to do what i did before.everyday lots of new members logged in ,if nothing else.I tryed to welcome them and invite them to check us out and voice their opinion in the forums since the change .i've found 2 new members.i miss page #'s to go to in the forums to check what i've missed easy.good luck !

17 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

How does this site now work?  I do not even know if I am logged in or not.

What to the icons at the top right mean?

I have been gone a week and only got this far back.

I am still lost.

I wonder if this will post.

Jim while you have been gone we have been having a ball. There has been almost no post on scroll saws. Can you believe it?  :o  :lol:

Envelope icon?  What does that look like?  Why do they not put the words with it, or under it?  I do not see my name anywhere...   am I logged in?  I skipped wine and went straight to Gin.  feels good, but does not clear things up at all.  <Grin>

I am a craftsman not a computer person.

Edited by Jim Finn

48 minutes ago, Jim Finn said:

Envelope icon?  What does that look like?  Why do they not put the words with it, or under it?  I do not see my name anywhere...   am I logged in?  

You are definitely logged in because you can post, and we can see your picture.  If you scroll to the very very top, you should see you pic and the other things being described.  If you hoover over the icons at the top, you will see the text descriptions.  I wonder if you resolution is set low and this stuff is showing off screen.

jim.png

Edited by hotshot

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Well, maybe things are not clear, in fact they may be a little more fuzzy after some Gin, but do you really care as much now that you had it??:cool:

I'm thinking you are logged in or you could not post.

I just may be logged in, but I see no evidence of that.  Then again, I do no longer know where to look and I  see no direction on where to look, either.  I know this is a fault of mine, but still have not learned how to think like a programmer does.  (assuming they do think)  Guess I need less gin huh?

PS:  I am a craftsman not a computer expert.

4 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

I just may be logged in, but I see no evidence of that.  Then again, I do no longer know where to look and I  see no direction on where to look, either.  I know this is a fault of mine, but still have not learned how to think like a programmer does.  (assuming they do think)  Guess I need less gin huh?

PS:  I am a craftsman not a computer expert.

Jim

Scroll all the way back to the top of this thread.  On the right side of the screen you should see your name. This shows that you are logged in.  Just to the left of your name is the picture of an envelope. This is where you should receive your private messages.  To the left of the envelope is a bell that should have a red number beside it.  That is where you will get your notifications. There should be one there now telling you that I quoted your post. Hope this helps.

Later Larry

Hi Jim and welcome home. First, let's clarify something - what piece of electronics are you on when you are coming to the forum? A computer/laptop? An iPad or tablet of some kind? A smart phone like an iPhone or another brand? I ask this because what you are going to see on a computer versus a tablet versus a smart phone is going to be different. Since you are not seeing some of the things others are referencing I am wondering if you are on a tablet? I am usually on via a computer but am presently on via my iPad and what I see or don't see from my iPad is different then when I am on the computer.

So, tell us what you are using to access the forum and we can go from there.

Edited by meflick

Here's what I see on top right on my iPad (when I am at the very top of a page or thread. If not at top, i don't see it until I scroll all the way back up.)IMG_0392.thumb.PNG.b37d0ab5863837d7d2c0bc1013a316a4.PNG

then if if I click on the far right on the 3 lines I see this menu on the right side as shown below: note the red arrow I added showing the bell for notifications and envelope for messages. Below that it shows "sign out" which means I am signed in but does not show my username. Next button allows me to mark entire forum as read. Then below that are different areas as noted.

IMG_0393.thumb.JPG.511326e4545b0b3d76b0ddf209feee6e.JPG

Edited by meflick

That's interesting Melanie, I'm on my iPad and I see exactly what I see on my Windows laptop. It's just like what Hotshot showed except mine has my icon. I wonder if ther is a different version for tablets and phones. I know on the previous forum version there was a Mobil version which I didn't use, but I don't see that option on the new version.

On the iPad, it looks different if you hold it horizontal or vertical.  If it's horizontal, you get the normal menu.  If you hold it vertical, the menus collapse to save screen real estate and the menu items are located under the 3 lines in the upper right corner.  If you're on a phone, you only get the 3 lines because there isn't enough room to put the menu.  The themes are really dynamic and adjust according to how wide your display is.

The new theme doesn't offer the desktop version on mobile devices.  The old site allowed you to switch to the full version, but I don't see that this one will let you do that.

On 4/28/2017 at 10:42 AM, meflick said:

Hi Jim and welcome home. First, let's clarify something - what piece of electronics are you on when you are coming to the forum? A computer/laptop? An iPad or tablet of some kind? A smart phone like an iPhone or another brand? I ask this because what you are going to see on a computer versus a tablet versus a smart phone is going to be different. Since you are not seeing some of the things others are referencing I am wondering if you are on a tablet? I am usually on via a computer but am presently on via my iPad and what I see or don't see from my iPad is different then when I am on the computer.

So, tell us what you are using to access the forum and we can go from there.

I am using my computer, not a smart phone.  Windows 10.  I do not get any text to appear when I "hover" over the new,  strange to me, icons.

On 4/29/2017 at 0:53 AM, Travis said:

On the iPad, it looks different if you hold it horizontal or vertical.  If it's horizontal, you get the normal menu.  If you hold it vertical, the menus collapse to save screen real estate and the menu items are located under the 3 lines in the upper right corner.  If you're on a phone, you only get the 3 lines because there isn't enough room to put the menu.  The themes are really dynamic and adjust according to how wide your display is.

The new theme doesn't offer the desktop version on mobile devices.  The old site allowed you to switch to the full version, but I don't see that this one will let you do that.

@dgman Dan, I typically use my iPad in vertical (probably because I typically use it to read books and that is how I usually read them) unless I have trouble reading something then I will switch it to horizontal or landscape to get "bigger".  Glad you noted the difference and Travis explained it for us.  That way everybody who reads it will be aware of the difference depending upon which way you "view" the forum on the iPad.  We were traveling out of town this past week so the iPad was all I took for "viewing".  Much prefer to view the forum on my computer when I am at home.