Hi I am Jim finn and I am lost here.

Jim Finn

15 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

I am using my computer, not a smart phone.  Windows 10.  I do not get any text to appear when I "hover" over the new,  strange to me, icons.

Thanks for clarifying Jim.  Perhaps @Travis can provide you with some more insight.  I don't have a Windows 10 computer here at my house so I am not sure I can be of further help in trying to help you sort it out.  Perhaps someone else who is running on Windows 10 can.  Do you know how to take "screen shots" to show us what you are seeing?

1 hour ago, meflick said:

Thanks for clarifying Jim.  Perhaps @Travis can provide you with some more insight.  I don't have a Windows 10 computer here at my house so I am not sure I can be of further help in trying to help you sort it out.  Perhaps someone else who is running on Windows 10 can.  Do you know how to take "screen shots" to show us what you are seeing?

Nope

Hmmm....I'm not sure what you are seeing.  The site isn't that much different from the old site.  The navigation menu is pretty much the same.  All the forums are still there and in the right order.  The upper right corner is slightly different, but not that much.  

Here's the rundown of the upper right corner:

• Create button.  That's new.  Click that to create a new topic, upload a picture, or update your status.  You can ignore that and do it the old fashioned way, just like our old site.  This is just a shortcut.
  • Bell icon.  The old site had a icon of a person in a chat bubble.  But this is the notifications.  Think of it like a doorbell that tells you when someone commented on a photo or a thread you started, liked one of your posts, or mentions you in a post.  It operates the exact same way as the notifications worked on the old site.
  • Envelope.  That's the same as the old site.  That's where you get your private messages.  Works the same way as the old site.
  • Avatar and your Name.  The old site only had your name.  If you click your avatar, it goes to your profile (The old site, you'd click your name, then choose profile).  If you click your name, you can choose your profile, account settings, a few other settings, and sign out.
  • The signout button used to be on the old site, but now it's located under you name menu.  Just click your name, then choose sign-out.

Here is the old site:

OldSite.jpg

Here is our new site:

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 7.22.28 PM.png

Not sure how helpful that was.  Windows 10 has a tool called Snipping Tool that will take screenshots.  This video shows how to use it.  That way we can see what you're seeing and help get things sorted out.

Jim,

I hope you can get this figured out as non of us would want to lose you here because of you being frustrated by the change. i too have no trouble at all but I am still using windows 7. I might just be happy that I am as everything is fine here. Don't go away.. please

Dick

heppnerguy

"Create button"?  what does that look like?  What I see is not what you posted.  I see on the extreme top right an icon with horizontal lines only,  left of that is an icon that looks like a magnifying glass, and left of the is what looks like a bunch of horz. lines with a box in one corner. No envelope. 

I tried to learn the snipping tool but the font is so small I cannot read the directions for it. (I have my setting to 125% and full screen.)

I know it is just me that is the problem.  I will re-learn all this in time.  

12 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

. . .  What I see is not what you posted.  I see on the extreme top right an icon with horizontal lines only,  left of that is an icon that looks like a magnifying glass, and left of the is what looks like a bunch of horz. lines with a box in one corner.  . . . 

@Jim Finn what you are describing as seeing in the extreme top right sounds like what I showed as seeing from my iPad when in vertical or "page" length - here is what I see from there - does it match what you are describing as seeing on your Windows 10 computer?  If so, if you "hover" pointer over each of those - does it show anything.  As I listed if I click on the far right 3 lines - I get a drop down menu with choices of things. Just above all of that I see the envelope and the bell everyone references.  Try that and see if you see all of that.  The magnifying glass icon is to search with - click on that and search bar area should open up to input terms to search for. The  "page" with the horizontal lines with the box around it (reminds me of a folded up newspaper) - if you click on that it should show you all the recent activity - by past hour, then earlier today, then later, etc.  to the top right side you have the option to show it in the "Expanded view" which shows the full details of each of the "posts" made - if you click on "Condensed" it will just show the title of the post, name of person who replied, name of person who started original post/thread being replied to, and the sub-forum it is in.

59089eb3acff2_ScreenShot2017-05-02at10_55_36AM.thumb.png.5bb392fe54f8a0410a409cc3ad84f143.png

What Internet browser are you using when you access the forum? If @Travis knows what browser you are using that might help as well. I am not sure if there is a way for different browsers to let you "pick" which way you see it or not.  Not sure why one would default to this view over the other general one that most of the rest of us see. This shows what most of us are seeing in the top right corner when accessing from a computer.

5908a1b3bb528_ScreenShot2017-05-02at11_10_46AM.thumb.png.81c084db654776550d144530b37525ac.png

Edited by meflick
to add additional screen shot.

Do you have your screen magnified so the fonts are large and easy to read?  I'm guessing that's probably what's going on.  SSV is dynamic, meaning that it will change it's layout based on how much screen real estate you have. So if you're zoomed in far enough where there isn't enough room for the menu, the menu and the icons will collapse into those 3 lines that @meflick described.  The 3 lines is an icon to represent a list.  If you click the three lines, it will list all of the menu items.  You'll also have the bell icon, the envelope icon and a signout button also in that menu.  To the upper left corner, you'll see a black button that allows you to back out of the forum and category.  You can keep clicking the black button in the upper left corner to get to the main page.  You can access anything on SSV through the menu (the three lines).

If you don't want that view, you'll have to reset your screen back to normal and not so zoomed in.  The shortcut for that is hold down the control button and hit the zero button.  That will reset your web browser to show you the default size.  Then the normal menu pops up that you're used to.  To zoom in, hold down the control button and hit the + button.  Remember, if you zoom in too much, it will switch back to the display with the 3 lines.  To zoom out, hold down the control button and hit the + button.

I hope that helps.

6 hours ago, meflick said:

@Jim Finn what you are describing as seeing in the extreme top right sounds like what I showed as seeing from my iPad when in vertical or "page" length - here is what I see from there - does it match what you are describing as seeing on your Windows 10 computer?  If so, if you "hover" pointer over each of those - does it show anything.  As I listed if I click on the far right 3 lines - I get a drop down menu with choices of things. Just above all of that I see the envelope and the bell everyone references.  Try that and see if you see all of that.  The magnifying glass icon is to search with - click on that and search bar area should open up to input terms to search for. The  "page" with the horizontal lines with the box around it (reminds me of a folded up newspaper) - if you click on that it should show you all the recent activity - by past hour, then earlier today, then later, etc.  to the top right side you have the option to show it in the "Expanded view" which shows the full details of each of the "posts" made - if you click on "Condensed" it will just show the title of the post, name of person who replied, name of person who started original post/thread being replied to, and the sub-forum it is in.

59089eb3acff2_ScreenShot2017-05-02at10_55_36AM.thumb.png.5bb392fe54f8a0410a409cc3ad84f143.png

What Internet browser are you using when you access the forum? If @Travis knows what browser you are using that might help as well. I am not sure if there is a way for different browsers to let you "pick" which way you see it or not.  Not sure why one would default to this view over the other general one that most of the rest of us see. This shows what most of us are seeing in the top right corner when accessing from a computer.

5908a1b3bb528_ScreenShot2017-05-02at11_10_46AM.thumb.png.81c084db654776550d144530b37525ac.png

I use chrome for internet access.  It used to be so simple.  And I am just simple, I guess.  I think programmers that make this stuff up need to have a 60+ year old on staff to let them know how, not intuitive, all this is.  Those Icons mean nothing to me.  I learned the alphabet for a reason.  So I could read and write.  Not  ever- changing code symbols.

I know it is just me, but I suggest there are many people like me that do not see the sense in changing things, just to change things.  (End of rant.)

Thank you for your efforts.  I will eventually learn this......well maybe.

7 hours ago, meflick said:

hat I see from there - does it match what you are describing as seeing on your Windows 10 computer?@Jim Finn what you are describing as seeing in the extreme top right sounds like what I showed as seeing from my iPad when in vertical or "page" length - here is w  If so, if you "hover" pointer over each of those - does it show anything.  As I listed if I click on the far right 3 lines - I get a drop down menu with choices of things. Just above all of that I see the envelope and the bell everyone references.  Try that and see if you see all of that.  The magnifying glass icon is to search with - click on that and search bar area should open up to input terms to search for. The  "page" with the horizontal lines with the box around it (reminds me of a folded up newspaper) - if you click on that it should show you all the recent activity - by past hour, then earlier today, then later, etc.  to the top right side you have the option to show it in the "Expanded view" which shows the full details of each of the "posts" made - if you click on "Condensed" it will just show the title of the post, name of person who replied, name of person who started original post/thread being replied to, and the sub-forum it is in.

....."if you "hover" pointer over each of those - does it show anything"....

No nothing...