Newbie from Florida

dkent53

hey scrollers,

I am so new at this I don't even have a scroll saw yet. Searched this site and will be getting a Craftsman 16" variable this week. Just started reading about this a few days ago and am very very interested in learning the business. Looks like it can be a lot of fun and rewarding. My wife sends out wooden door hangers to all of her clients at closings like the pic below. That will be the first items I will make, just curious if anyone knows where I can get the patterns for these? thanks in advance and look forward to the forum.

IMG_1801.JPG

Welcome to the village, there is a lot of information available here just for the asking, and your right scrolling can be very rewarding. Your hanger looks like it could be copied (trace).  we have a pattern maker here who mite help.

9 hours ago, dkent53 said:

hey scrollers,

I am so new at this I don't even have a scroll saw yet. Searched this site and will be getting a Craftsman 16" variable this week. Just started reading about this a few days ago and am very very interested in learning the business. Looks like it can be a lot of fun and rewarding. My wife sends out wooden door hangers to all of her clients at closings like the pic below. That will be the first items I will make, just curious if anyone knows where I can get the patterns for these? thanks in advance and look forward to the forum.

IMG_1801.JPG

Welcome friend .I can't put my finger on the site but one of the scroll saw pattern company's has the whole set of letters for you.I lost all my book marks other wise i cold refer you to them.you might google calligraphy letters to get started.And just add the frame.

Welcome to the village.  As Kevin says you could make your own quite easily.  It is worth taking the University Courses here on Inkscape.

I can't find that exact letter but check out Steve Goods site and see it you can modify one of his patterns.  If you have not signed up for Steve's email it is a great site.

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.ca/

Another good source of Monograms is

http://www.scrollsawartist.com/

Welcome to The Village. Are you looking for just this letter or are you looking for other's as well? If you do go to the suggested forum to learn how to make your own patterns and sometimes there seems to be a lot to learn quickly. If you do get lost or things do not happen as you expect them to, just comment for some help and you will be surprised as to how many friendly people do come to your help

Dick

heppnerguy

initial.JPG

Edited by heppnerguy

Thanks all who responded, I'm looking forward to learning all I can about scrolling and interacting with the community. Update since first post. I have purchased the Craftsman 16" variable and cut out 2 circles of the letters I will be using, just the outside. It certainly looks a lot easier than it is. Looks like it's going to take a lot of practice. I am using the pin blade at this point to make the cuts but will probably try some of the other blades that I purchased. Not exactly sure I have the tension set tight enough cause blade wants to bend quite a bit and the edges are not very straight, more rippled. Course I am barely able to move wood at this point trying to stay on the lines. Figure I will practice more on outside before I attempt to making sharpe curves inside. Also have started the Inkscape tutorials, thanks for all your help.