🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

johnnyo

Welcome to the village from East TN. Can't help you with the blade changing issues probably - what is the problem you are having?  More details and someone may be able to help you out with that. (Edited to add:  I see you started another thread regarding this problem in the General Scrolling area and have gotten lots of great advice there for that! One reason I love the Village.)

Fish mentioned Steve Good possibly having some basket/bowl patterns.  Here are a couple of links to his pattern catalog that will get you to about 3 that collapse. The first link gets you to 2 and the second link to a 3rd one.  The third link shows anything he has that is labeled basket.  The last link takes you to his blog where he makes daily posts and shares different types of scroll saw patterns.  When I first got started last year, I was interested in Intarsia work - but thanks to Steve's site, and the village and the magazine and its forum, I have expanded out into other types of work.  You may find yourself doing that as well.  Either way - be sure to show us what you are working on/crafting.

http://www.stevedgood.com/catalog/index.php

and http://www.stevedgood.com/catalog/index.php and other's that don't collapse: http://www.stevedgood.com/catalog/index.php (this will give you anything that has "basket" in its name so it will be some that are not "baskets" in the sense you are looking for. 

This is to his blog: http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com

Edited by meflick

Hello Johnnyo we are neighbors as I live in Nipawin, Saskatchewan. I have Dremal and had trouble with blades slipping out . I made knob to fit over the clamp tightner this helped. I also took the tightner bolt out and rubbed it with sandpaper. The real fix occurred when I bought a Dewalt, now my Dremal sits in the corner taking up space. Srollsaw Workshop, Sawbird and Bear woods are good places for patterns

@johnnyo I ran across this book at Amazon with lots of collectable baskets in it looks like - might be worth checking it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-Basket-Patterns-Designs-Scrollsaw/dp/1565230876/ref=pd_lutyp_cxhsh_1_16?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1565230876&pd_rd_r=63ZGF29H9WWYPD8Q31HA&pd_rd_w=8klJR&pd_rd_wg=3JOUc&psc=1&refRID=63ZGF29H9WWYPD8Q31HA

Says there are over 100 designs - this may be the same book however that I think someone offered to send you on another thread so be sure its not the same before ordering. ;) (looked for that thread but didn't find it initially to post it there. - Will look again.)

Edited to add - found the other thread - looks like this is the same book that Joe offered to send to you. So, no need to get this one - however, if you want a "sneak peek" at the book until it gets to you - you can do that at the Amazon link.  click on the book on the right to "see inside" - doesn't show you everything but will show you some of it.

Edited by meflick

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:51 PM, clocks and more said:

Welcome Johnny I'm also 83 and enjoy scrolling since 1997. Have  fun and remember we like pictures.

Thanks very much for the welcome. I got really frustrated with the Dremel, so not doing much with it. A lot of scrollers have one & use it satisfactorily. But I can't get the hang of blade changing & threading on it. Obviously it's me, & probably would get used to it given time.. We are leaving to Ontario in a week to visit our son. There is a Dewalt 788 for sale close to him, so he is picking it up tomorrow, & will keep it for me till we get there. So looks like my scrolling will start in Aug. when we get back.  Luckily I installed a wood heater in my shop, & it'll be right behind my saw. At first I think I will have a lot of kindling for the stove for the first while.. lol.. In time I hope I can make something worthy of pictures to post.

John

Edited by johnnyo

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, GPscroller said:

Welcome from Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, looks like I found a great place for advice to help me with my new venture.  Scrolling looks like a challenging hobby, but also rewarding if I can learn to do it.

John

On 6/25/2017 at 2:44 PM, johnnyo said:

Hello, I'm 83 and just starting to scroll. Really would like to do collapsible bowls & baskets. Bought a 1680 Dremel, but have trouble changing blades so far. If any one has links to patterns I would appreciate it.

Welcome friend ,your family now .I've never seen a question not answered her so ask away  thanks for finding us and we'll be your best friend!

Welcome to The Village from hot and sunny Casa Grande, Arizona. I think you will find the DeWalt much easier to use and you will be off and running in no time. Have a safe trip and don't forget the rest of you family when you get back home. Rest of the family???? Yes us, here in the village

Dick

heppnerguy

Thank you all for the great welcome.. Special thanks to Joe M. for the book he sent me , what a great gesture that was. 

We are leaving in an hour for Ontario to visit our son, (1880 mile drive) will take about 5 days each way pulling our camper. And no computer .Mine caught fire last week & fried. 

I found a DeWalt 788 Type 1, for sale in Ontario, close to my son's place. Used very little & like new, so my son picked it up for me. I wanted to send him money for it, but he said that was my Father's Day present. It'll be coming home with me, early August. I will be off line till then.. 

Happy scrolling everyone., John

I think you will find the blades much much easier to change on the 788.  An you can top feed if you have problems bending over to look under the workpiece to thread the blade.

If you need a little extra help getting the clamp tight enough, Steve Good has a pattern for a tool that will give you a little more leverage on the clamp knob.

Anyway, you are moving way way up in quality of saws, and the biggest difference is the ease in changing blades.  I think you will like it.

-------Randy