Return of the Excalibur???

Yea it started out as General pulling manufacture out of China and moving it to the USA.  Of that I was pretty skeptical.  The update, stating that production was to remain in China, seems more plausible.  I'm not holding my breath though, just hoping it's true as I bought a new EX-21 a year and a half ago and was concerned about support.

10 hours ago, OPi said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the movable parts of the EX and the Seyco are interchangeable. 

That may be true, but Seyco is under no obligation to keep it that way, just as they are under no obligation to support the EX saw indefinitely. 

I know nothing lasts forever and manufacturers suspend support for old models of their product all the time.  It's a business decision.  My EX is only a year and a half old, so I don't anticipate needing any repair parts for it anytime soon.  I could hedge my bet and buy a few wear parts to keep on hand.  That would be the prudent thing to do, which means I'll probably not get around to it, until it's too late.  :D

Bill, no saw maker is obligated to stay in business.  I purchased a Seyco saw, how do I know they will be around 4 or 5 years from now?  Or less if their saws do not sell.  However, a person may not be able to get DeWalt parts for long either.  The only saws with really longevity records are Hegner and the Hawk.  I know you can get parts for Hegner no matter the age, not sure about Hawk but they have been around a long long time.  Just saying as long as Seyco stays in business, I think you will be able to get parts for your Ex.  They are interchangeable.  Least I had an Ex and they parts look identical to me.

Just a few points of clarification.  EX was not made in China, they were made in Taiwan.  The same Taiwanese factory is still making the same saw, but now selling it under different brands, so, the same parts are available under Pegas, Excelsior, Axminster, Carbatec, and etc.  Seems like the original EX design is alive and well, and available about everywhere except in the U.S.  I suspect, the same factory is also making the new Seyco.

KC-XL21100_MED.jpgSS-400C.jpg

scp21ce-3.jpg101772_xl.jpg

Edited by hotshot

18 minutes ago, hotshot said:

Just a few points of clarification.  EX was not made in China, they were made in Taiwan.  The same Taiwanese factory is still making the same saw, but now selling it under different brands, so, the same parts are available under Pegas, Excelsior, Axminster, Carbatec, and etc.  Seems like the original EX design is alive and well, and available about everywhere except in the U.S.  I suspect, the same factory is also making the new Seyco.

KC-XL21100_MED.jpgSS-400C.jpg

scp21ce-3.jpg101772_xl.jpg

nice pictures !

My ex [probably nearly 8 years old] is having problems, blades are a nightmare to insert, they just don't want to take hold and stay.

Have tried brand new inserts [lower and upper both sides], no joy.

I seem to remember some kind of tune up/diagnostic web page [maybe Seyco], anyone know ?

Don't want to give up on my ex as it still runs strong, can't tell you how frustrating it is to have a simple task like inserting a blade turn into a time consuming chore.

Xray - If you are using FD blades, they seem to come with an oil or lacquer coating, fold sandpaper in half around the ends and drag them through the sandpaper a couple of times before you insert the blade.  I had the same problem and that fixed my issue.

Jim

Edited by JimErn

I bought an Axminster version of the EX30  30" model this year and love it:), only negative thing about it is you cannot use a foot pedal due to the NVR switch. Would my saw be built at the same factory as those available in the States?  it is a very nice bit of kit and built like a tank apart from the painted table top which shows signs of use already....why don't they fit a stainless steel table top to them? I have been thinking of buying some 2mm thick stainless steel and making a table cover for my saw (including the perforated holes around the blade slot but making a much smaller hole for the blade to go through) I made a similar table top for my other saw an Axminster Trade 18" Hegner lookalike using Corian and its lovely to use as the wood glides on the Corian.

Cheers

Brian

I really wouldn't be surprised if the front portion of the moving parts and clamps etc aren't the same as a DeWalt too.. while I have never seen the two saws side by side.. I've always kind of pictured the EX's as a glorified DeWalt.. what I mean by that is.. the EX's visible parts and design look the same as a Dewalt. I know the EX's table is stationary and that you can twist the motor to change the forward / back motion of the blade.. so they have those perks... but as far as the arms, clamps and many other  parts go.. very close in design if not the same parts..

I know that the Thumb and Set screws are interchangeable because I order my replacements for my Dewalt from Seyco for the EX.. cheaper than buying through DeWalt..

Edited by kmmcrafts

With companies running all over the world chasing the cheapest way to make a product I for one am not optimistic that anything you buy will be supported with the trend to maximize profit at all cost and the customer be dammed.   It used to be major brands relied on their reputation for future sales growth now very few seem to subscribe to that business model anymore.  

The name General International should tell you something.   It wouldn't surprise me to hear they are moving operations to some other unstable third world country.  

Spoiler

On 7/13/2017 at 7:45 AM, stoney said:

With companies running all over the world chasing the cheapest way to make a product I for one am not optimistic that anything you buy will be supported with the trend to maximize profit at all cost and the customer be dammed.   It used to be major brands relied on their reputation for future sales growth now very few seem to subscribe to that business model anymore.  

The name General International should tell you something.   It wouldn't surprise me to hear they are moving operations to some other unstable third world country.  

I agree with your statement but I don't think that is what is going on with General and the EX.  Since the basic saw is already in production under different brand names my guess is that the manufacturer hit General with a significant price increase or an increase in the minimum order size (or both).  If General is struggling to maintain profitability that would force them to reevaluate carrying a tool that is somewhat niche market and one that has many lower-priced alternatives. If we see a return to a healthier economy they could decide to bite the bullet and reintroduce the product.

I have not heard or read of any explanation presented by General Int. why they stopped marketing the Excalibur.   My point is there appears to be very little Company commitment to the products they market or the customers they sell them to.   The fact that more and more expensive products and support for them is being diminished by many companies should be a concern for any prospective buyer.  

Edited by stoney

• 2 weeks later...

King Canada (not a retail seller) puts out what used to be the General International branded Excalibur scroll saw under the King Canada brand name of Excelsior so it can still be referred as an EX - probably just coincidence?  They have several retailers who are all in Canada.  Many and maybe all ship to the U.S.  Listed price today is $999.00 Canadian and with exchange rate of $1.25 that would $802.16 U.S. dollars.  $99.00 more Canadian if you want the stand rather than just the bench mount.  I do not know what shipping would cost or whether there are any import/export duties. Maybe worth considering for some?  If you are interested you might want to do it before NAFTA is flushed away.

http://www.kingcanada.com/

Just one of the dealers you get which is not listed as an online dealer by King Canada (maybe more - just Google Excelsior scroll saw):

http://marsonequipment.com/product/excelsior-xl-21100-21-professional-scroll-saw/

King Canada also lists service centers on its web site so if you do need Excalibur parts and Seyco does not have them you might be able to get them through King Canada or one of its listed service centers.

Edited by Doug

4 hours ago, Doug said:

King Canada (not a retail seller) puts out what used to be the General International branded Excalibur scroll saw under the King Canada brand name of Excelsior so it can still be referred as an EX - probably just coincidence?  They have several retailers who are all in Canada.  Many and maybe all ship to the U.S.  Listed price today is $999.00 Canadian and with exchange rate of $1.25 that would $802.16 U.S. dollars.  $99.00 more Canadian if you want the stand rather than just the bench mount.  I do not know what shipping would cost or whether there are any import/export duties. Maybe worth considering for some?  If you are interested you might want to do it before NAFTA is flushed away.

http://www.kingcanada.com/

Just one of the dealers you get which is not listed as an online dealer by King Canada (maybe more - just Google Excelsior scroll saw):

http://marsonequipment.com/product/excelsior-xl-21100-21-professional-scroll-saw/

King Canada also lists service centers on its web site so if you do need Excalibur parts and Seyco does not have them you might be able to get them through King Canada or one of its listed service centers.

Back before I purchased my Hawk this spring I was looking into buying one of these.. at that time.. I couldn't find anyone that would ship a saw to the USA.. Maybe someone will now.. or maybe more distributors now and someone will ship.. but back around the first part of the year.. I called a few different stores..which I am glad now anyway.. as I got my Hawk..