July 14th is the new Christmas

Iguanadon

10 hours ago, jbrowning said:

Yes, please post a review of the new saw. I have like 2 of them within a 2 hour drive from me and both of the are $400.00 or less including the stand.

I'm betting the ones you have near by at that price is the new BM series.. so with Scott's review it would probably be irrelevant.. Those older saws are nothing like the new Hawk.. Just sayin..

There is a Brand new 216VS still boxed on eBay.. starting bid is $600 and a buy it now at 1000.. while doen't get me wrong.. it's a brand new saw.. I feel that is way over priced for the 216 saw.. as the 216 saws have the tension lever at the back of the saw.. etc.. while yes.. very well made saw.. just way outdated for the money.. $200 more than the buy it now price would land you a newly designed BM220 saw with a lot more features..

While pictures of the Hawks look almost the same over the course of several years.. there really is a lot of improvements over those years from better motors and speed controllers and better blade clamps etc.. while I think all of the Hawks are well built.. but not all of them should be considered equal in quality and comfort.. Be warned.. the older ones had some issues with the motors and the VS controllers.. Hawk will sell you an upgraded motor and controller but the price tag is around $450.. and you have to send it in to them.. Knowing this... I would never buy a older used Hawk without first contacting them with the model and serial number to see which motor it has.. they can tell you if it has the problematic motor or not..

Kevin

4 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

I'm gonna have to practice replacing blades on this thing... totally different.  There must be a trick to it cuz it's not easy.  Or I'm just slow.  LOL

It took me quite a long time to get used to blade changes etc on my Hawk after 8 years of running the DeWalts.. I still go out and cut rush orders on my DeWalt simply because I am faster and more used to it.. and I've had my Hawk now about 9 months on the 220VS and about 2 months on my 226 Ultra.. while blade changes isn't bad now.. I just have more comfort sitting and cutting with my DeWalt..  

How exciting, just be patient as it will be a very different experience from what you are used to. 

Could you post a closeup of the top clamp and arm holder, I am very curious about what Bushton has done there.

Thanks for all the feedback and info.  I just got home from my weekly farmers market and hope to play with the Hawk either this afternoon or tomorrow.  I'll snap pictures and share for sure.

And I'll provide my thoughts and review of it once I get some time on it.  I don't want to make any snap judgments and say something is good or bad only to think the opposite after some time using it.

Iggy I just spent 2 hours watching the 2 videos on the new Hawk.A lot of thought went into this saw.I think after a few puzzles cut on this saw the blade system will come natural.It is a lot better than my Hegner The EX might be a little easier as is the Dewalt. I like all of the adjustments on this saw.If I needed a saw I think I would have to take the shot. This blade system looks easy to get used to.I think you need to cut a weeks worth of puzzles.Then give us your feedback. We will all be waiting.

39 minutes ago, rjweb said:

How did you make out at the farmers market today, kick butt, RJ

Market started out great, sold 8 in the first 45 minutes which had never happened, but then it slowed down and then the heat really hit... it was a scorcher.  I sold 23, slightly below average, but a solid day and enjoyable as always.  Weather forecast for next Saturday says a few degrees warmer than today... I'm thinking of skipping... but then I think about all the $$$ I come home with and it's hard to say no.  LOL

25 minutes ago, tonylumps said:

Iggy I just spent 2 hours watching the 2 videos on the new Hawk.A lot of thought went into this saw.I think after a few puzzles cut on this saw the blade system will come natural.It is a lot better than my Hegner The EX might be a little easier as is the Dewalt. I like all of the adjustments on this saw.If I needed a saw I think I would have to take the shot. This blade system looks easy to get used to.I think you need to cut a weeks worth of puzzles.Then give us your feedback. We will all be waiting.

It's 95 in my garage right now but I wanted to try out the saw... I started cutting a puzzle and it definitely cuts slower than the Dewalt which is no big deal.  A couple of the puzzle pieces didn't slide in from both sides so I'm adjusting the tilts/angle of the table a little until I find that perfect sweetspot.  I lot of testing and playing still to come.  Changing the blade isn't too horrible, I bottom fed to make a couple of inside cuts and it wasn't as awkward as I first thought.

I'll definitely provide a full report after a week of cutting.

2 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

It's 95 in my garage right now but I wanted to try out the saw... I started cutting a puzzle and it definitely cuts slower than the Dewalt which is no big deal.  A couple of the puzzle pieces didn't slide in from both sides so I'm adjusting the tilts/angle of the table a little until I find that perfect sweetspot.  I lot of testing and playing still to come.  Changing the blade isn't too horrible, I bottom fed to make a couple of inside cuts and it wasn't as awkward as I first thought.

I'll definitely provide a full report after a week of cutting.

I don't like an aggressive. But you have a nice option to adjust the cutting angle for a more aggressive cut to mimic the Dewalt.