Tape & grain direction

savethebeer

Was putting together 2 pieces of wood to do a stack cut of a Steve Good pattern when I got them mixed regarding the top and side of each piece. So I was rotating them to align them in size and grain direction when I had a sudden thought (which does not happen often), Has anyone ever noticed any difference in the amount of lifting of grain when peeling off tape, when the tape runs with the grain or across the grain?

Thanks guys. I don't have too many issues with grain lifting normally unless it is a pattern that takes days to do, as the tape has had longer to bond to the wood surface.

This pattern is 'Firemen' by Steve and as I have to work to pay for my scrolling, it will take a few days to finish this, so I'm worried about  grain lifting. However I planned this in advance so I used a ply that 'definitely probably maybe' wont lift as the top piece and if it lifts then it suddenly becomes a sacrificial piece and I have 1 good piece or if it works out for the best then I suddenly have 2 great pieces.

Also 2 weeks ago, as a once off, I put BLO on my ply to try and harden the grain before I attached the pattern. I did get some minor lifting so I cant say this worked too well.

Bob

Regarding "forgetting which is to be the good side" I take a pencil and put a small X in a top corner of each piece before taping.  As soon as the first row of tape is on, I put an arrow on the tape to indicate where the top of the pattern is to be applied.

When removing tape, I use a woodcarving knife to loosen an edge (a sharp box cutter is OK).  Start at a point and start lifting towards a stronger part of the shape.  Don't EVER remove tape towards a point.

jerry