🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Blade Storage

tuner

Always have miscellaneous blades and keeping some kind of order was getting hard. Looking around the house I used what I had, don't know if it's original or not, but it works.  Jimbo straws  12 inch long cut to 6 inch, a pencil that fits as a plug 1/4 long on bottom 3/4 on top, I use Matt finish scotch tape and a marker to label. Each straw holds 2 doz.+ . I also made some 4 inches long . To hold these tubes I took an empty thread spool (my wife loves to sew) some of spools are now made out of plastic a hole in the center and spokes like a wheel with 6 openings just glue a small Base for  stability and you have 7 tubes not taking up much room. Just stuff I had. The straw was from a a soda at a gas station. Real quick to make up.Works for me .

iI have had mine in plastic tubes  with tops on them and made a holder for the tubes and That became a pain so I took a mechisint tool box that I had  when I wass working and put a different  balde (sizes #3-#5-#7-7 #9 2 blades per seperated drawer and theat is the best system I have found.

IKE

I bought a wedding bubble blower kit that had 20 tubes of bubbles and they all had lids that were the rings to blow the bubbles through. I dumped into the grand kids bubble we have here at the house, washed them out and made a little stand for them. They are about 4 inches long so the blades stick out the top making easy to get to. I think the whole thing cost me around $7.00 if I remember correctly. 

10 hours ago, tuner said:

Always have miscellaneous blades and keeping some kind of order was getting hard. Looking around the house I used what I had, don't know if it's original or not, but it works.  Jimbo straws  12 inch long cut to 6 inch, a pencil that fits as a plug 1/4 long on bottom 3/4 on top, I use Matt finish scotch tape and a marker to label. Each straw holds 2 doz.+ . I also made some 4 inches long . To hold these tubes I took an empty thread spool (my wife loves to sew) some of spools are now made out of plastic a hole in the center and spokes like a wheel with 6 openings just glue a small Base for  stability and you have 7 tubes not taking up much room. Just stuff I had. The straw was from a a soda at a gas station. Real quick to make up.Works for me .

My friends nutrition store was closing out one protein drink in a tube ,I bought them all and have been working out great caps and all

I use old pill bottles.  I cut out some holes in a piece of 1" scrap and the bottles fight just right.  They dont close as that are short but it does the job just fine.  My trouble is everything is close t a window and i live close to the ocean so the blades get rusty,  not then end of the world  but just makes them ugly.  i suppose i could address it but its never been an issue.

On 7/17/2017 at 0:45 PM, tuner said:

This is what I did and it's working pretty good.

cevqWMP.jpg

I guess that I keep more blades around than most people. I use the 5 1/2" tall pill  bottles from Walgreen's. They give them to me unused All I have to do is ask for them.

I limit my requests for the bottles, so I leave them some, but I can usually get about 10 of them at a time, with the caps. One bottle will easily hold a whole gross of blades. I keep one dozen open and in with the rest, then just push the bundles aside when I need a blade.  If none are loose, I open one of the bundles and put the loose blades back in. I'm careful to put the blades in correctly so the bottom of the blade is always in the bottom of the bottle. That way, I don't even need to check them for correct orientation when I put one in the scroll saw.

When I buy blades from  the wooden Teddy Bear or other sources, I make certain to cut their label from the plastic package and save it. I either tape it to the outside of the bottle with clear packing tape or just throw it in with the blades, and in either case, it's there when I want to re-order. There are just too many different blade types available so I don't want to make a mistake and buy a different kind of blade. I also bought 1 1/4 sticky backed round paper labels that I can attach to the lids, and I label them so I can quickly pull the correct bottle out of the box when I need a blade. I made a box from Baltic Birch that holds my bottles of different types of blades that I like to use,  and the box keeps them in their own places with a hole for each pill bottle, much like @Hawkeye10's block of wood keeps his blades organized. . I once had a block of wood with holes bored in it and all of the blades sticking out of tubes like his, but it got knocked off the table and many of the blades got out of their tubes and got mixed together. So I now keep them in the pill bottles with lids on them so this will never happen again, if they get dumped. 

The box is usually sitting open and on an upside down soda crate next to me while I'm cutting, but it can quickly be closed to take with me when I  go to do a show somewhere. I'm in the process of making a larger box, because I have 22 different types and sizes of blades now and only 14 pill bottles will fit in the original box that I have. The blades share this box with scroll sawing tools that I like to keep together and handy, so they are in the left half of the box and also in the lid of the  the same box. One of these two boxes will become totally dedicated to bottles of scroll saw blades and the other will have more space for the tools. I'll decide when this box is nearly finished which way It will be, but both will receive partitions and/or holes for bottles to keep them organized.

Charley