🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Stay Safe

MrsN

I got caught pretty good by my saw today, so I thought I would use it as a reminder to the rest of you to be safe.

I was cutting from a long board. I should have cut it into smaller pieces but thought I could handle it. The blade caught, the wood jumped and my finger went in. The nail caught the brunt of the cut, so no pretty manicures for a while.

Stay safe!

Katie

20170717_155250.jpg

Ouch. Looks your right about the no pretty manicures for a while. Thankfully it was pretty minor and your nail will grow out. Last time my scroll saw bit me was a very long time ago and it was my fault. Like yours, very minor. So happy it was not a table saw. They are no where near as forgiving. 

I have hit the blade many time over the years, never drew blood.  Guess I am just a tough skinned old Fart.  Fell 12 ft. out of a tree the other day and after a few minutes laying there looking up at the tree I decided I was still alive, slowly got up to make sure nothing was broken and went back to work.  Few bruises,  sore spots, but everything is still working.  Life is good,,, so far.

I am glad you didn't get any worst than that.. I haven't been injured with a scroll saw yet.. but I do have to fess up and say.. never trim your nails with a roundover bit in a trim router.. Cut the end of my pinky finger off back in May.. Didn't go to the bone but must have been close.. Doctors couldn't do anything with it other that bandage it up and let it heal.. to my surprise.. it has grown back and looks normal now other than it is still very tender and a portion of my nail still need to grow back out.. 

Was a dumb mistake.. I know that I should never pick up a router off the wood while it's on.. was only rounding over the edge of a tabletop lazy Susanne and wanted to do the bottom side once I had done the top.. left the router on in one hand and was flipping the wood over. The wood slipped out of my hand and I was trying to catch it before it dropped and broke.. not thinking as it all happen so fast.. In the process of catching the board I stuck my finger into the running router bit.. Was really lucky I didn't do worst than I did.. So.. another lesson.. always turn off the router before picking it up off your project..

Always figured of all the tools.. the table saw would be the one to get me.. but I hate running that and am very cautious.. it's really the tools you aren't scared of that will get you because you get to comfortable and careless with them..

Kevin

8 hours ago, MrsN said:

I got caught pretty good by my saw today, so I thought I would use it as a reminder to the rest of you to be safe.

I was cutting from a long board. I should have cut it into smaller pieces but thought I could handle it. The blade caught, the wood jumped and my finger went in. The nail caught the brunt of the cut, so no pretty manicures for a while.

Stay safe!

Katie

20170717_155250.jpg

same owwe i got pushing wood thru ,who would have though i wasn't holding it down hard enough and when i got to the blade gravity took over and the blade got me