couple of puzzle questions

tuner

Been looking at some puzzle patterns I might like to try, been cutting a long time but somehow just never got to puzzles

These are just for fun so nothing fancy. what thickness wood ?  How about 1x standard pine shelf ?  Is plywood an options ?  Are puzzles for children or adults or both,  I know a lot of our members sell them so I guess there fun

Any other thoughts ? 

I use 3/4" thick wood so the puzzle will stand on it's own. You can also use plywood. The only thing with using plywood is finding wood without voids They are for children and adults. These are  goods links for patterns:

http://www.woodenteddybearonline.com/x/home.php?cat=100

https://woodcraftbyscott.com/collections/all

Happy scrolling!

Edited by ekud1946

7 hours ago, tuner said:

Been looking at some puzzle patterns I might like to try, been cutting a long time but somehow just never got to puzzles

These are just for fun so nothing fancy. what thickness wood ?  How about 1x standard pine shelf ?  Is plywood an options ?  Are puzzles for children or adults or both,  I know a lot of our members sell them so I guess there fun

Any other thoughts ? 

Hi Randy,

Here is a link to an overview I wrote a while back of my cutting process

But real quick... Yes, standard 1x wood from Home Depot or Lowes is fine.  You want the puzzles to be able to stand up on their own.  I use poplar but others use pine and some use high grade ply.  Whatever you're comfortable with.  I find that the puzzles are enjoyed by all ages.  The dogs are particularly enjoyed by all ages of dog owners.  Unicorns are admired by kids and adults as are the sea critters that I make.

I have a side area at my booth with kids puzzles, dinosaurs right now, but expanding that in a couple of weeks.

Iggy

Edited by Iguanadon

Especially if you are making them for children I would not recommend plywood unless it is a flat "jig saw" puzzle.  Plywood, even the good stuff tends to chip along the edges.  For stand up puzzles I normally use wood 5/8" to 3/4".  I like to "break" the edges with a sanding mop. This slightly rounded the edge.

On 7/19/2017 at 10:18 PM, tuner said:

Any other thoughts ? 

Keeping the blade plumb to the saw table is a must for the pieces to go together and come apart.

I use popular, it is easy to cut and it is the cheepest hard wood that I know of I get it for $2.10 a board foot. I have used pine and pywood but popular is the best ofr me. as for keeping it plumb i use the head of a Starett combination square it is square and just fits my saw 

IKE