🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Is this a good deal?

hawkeye10

29 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

The blade clamp at the top looks different to me... could be a Type 1.  It would be best if you ask them to snap a picture of the plate on the motor that will tell you the type and the year of manufacture.

I really don't think I will buy it. I can't use the saw I have as much as I would like. I have been out in the shop today working on two golf ball display racks for the grand kids.

Just a thought for anyone going to look at this.. that upper blade clamp thumb screw looks awful massive.. so I half wonder if they have been cranking down on the blade.. While I know that some users have arthritis and have trouble with the standard thumb screws.. I also question this when I see a larger replacement screw.. So with that being said.. at worst you might need a new blade clamp.. as when they get cranked down so tight too many times.. two things can happen.. one is they can stripe out the threads.. Two is they can spread the clamp apart making the gap wider which will make it more offset and on an angle which will give you clamping issues.. I don't recall off the top of my head the price of these clamps.. but seem like they was in the $25 ish range.. but that's been a few years since I've looked them up.. 

Ask for a picture of the motor or ask them to check and see if it says on the motor tag Type 1 or 2.. I think it's a fair price.. provided it's not worn out.. take a blade with you and power it on.. run it through the speed range.. listen for any loud or unusual noise or vibration.. These typically run pretty smooth.. actually smoother than my hawk through the whole speed range.. but not built to last like my Hawk, :)  

Edited by kmmcrafts

I would not want to get my knuckles under that clamp lever while the saw was running. 

IMHO, the whole Type 1 vs type 2 thing was a bigger issue for the first couple years after they moved production overseas.  There were several quality problems that were reported in the first production runs.  I don't hear/read much about them now.  I'd like to think that newer Type 2's are as good as the Type 1's, but I don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence and gut feeling to support that claim. Type 1's have to be getting pretty long in the tooth these days.  What's it been, close to 15 years since they switched?  If the saw was truly lightly used, then a 15 year old Type 1 may be a better get than a 12 year old Type 2.  Otherwise, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Edited by Bill WIlson

47 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

I would not want to get my knuckles under that clamp lever while the saw was running. 

IMHO, the whole Type 1 vs type 2 thing was a bigger issue for the first couple years after they moved production overseas.  There were several quality problems that were reported in the first production runs.  I don't hear/read much about them now.  I'd like to think that newer Type 2's are as good as the Type 1's, but I don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence and gut feeling to support that claim. Type 1's have to be getting pretty long in the tooth these days.  What's it been, close to 15 years since they switched?  If the saw was truly lightly used, then a 15 year old Type 1 may be a better get than a 12 year old Type 2.  Otherwise, I would worry much about it.

Very much agree with your statement. I have a type 2 that was bought new in 09.. never a issue out of the ordinary bearing re-grease / replacement after the first 5-6 years of use.. not the kind of use I put it through now that I have my business and run a saw a lot of hours.. now re-greasing is about a yearly thing I shut down to do.. only re-placed the bearings once.. because that was before I knew about the issue of them needing attention.. so while many folk say they need new bearings every year is really nonsense because if you do preventive maintenance before the bearings get dried out.. you'll save a bunch of money on bearings and sleeves.. but.. run it dry and it can cost a couple hundred to replace all that stuff..     

On 7/20/2017 at 11:04 AM, hawkeye10 said:

It's not to far from me or Hotshot and maybe others in middle Tn. Can some of you guys that know more than I about DW saws tel if this is a number one or two?

https://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/d/dewalt-scroll-saw/6227781761.html

It will say on the motor label type 1 or 2