🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Hawk BM26 - Maybe? Possibly? Could it be???

Iguanadon

I received the new lower arm for the saw today and I just swapped it out... (At least now I know how to dismantle the lower half of the saw) and early, quick testing is very promising.  After 4 attempts I was able to cut a small puzzle piece and get it to slide in and out both sides.  It's hot, 90+ degrees in my garage so I had to quit before I left a big puddle in the middle of the floor.

The blade is not moving side to side as it was before and the overall vibration of the saw is almost completely gone!  I'm feeling pretty good about it so far.  More testing to be done over the next few days.  I need to cut kids puzzles next week which will be a good "easy" test for the saw to break it in and for me to get familiar with it.

Iggy is hoping for the best.

23 minutes ago, scrollin'fool said:

wow, how can you scroll in that kind of heat?

good luck with the new arm and the puzzles

I have an enclosed area (in plastic) where I cut and I have a portable AC unit blowing on me.  It's great when I'm cutting.  When I have to do other work outside of that space though it isn't pleasant so I do it in small doses.

This isn't the best picture of it, but you'll get the idea.

IMG_20170703_075123 (1).jpg

Hoping this is the answers you've been looking for in this long drawn out experience.. Hoping it's going to be the saw that you will learn to love to use and enjoy.. Keep us updated.. Really been contemplating getting one of these myself.. would love to test drive one someday.. but for now.. my 226 ultra is going to have to do for a few years probably.. putting kids through college is killing my wallet, LOL  

I just don't see how any one person can have so bad luck. I truly feel for you!!!  When you first ordered yours I was hot to trot to buy one myself but now I am glad I didn't. It's a shame that a saw that is supposed to be the top of the line has so much wrong with it. I am beginning to wonder if it's made in China.

8 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

I received the new lower arm for the saw today and I just swapped it out... (At least now I know how to dismantle the lower half of the saw) and early, quick testing is very promising.  After 4 attempts I was able to cut a small puzzle piece and get it to slide in and out both sides.  It's hot, 90+ degrees in my garage so I had to quit before I left a big puddle in the middle of the floor.

The blade is not moving side to side as it was before and the overall vibration of the saw is almost completely gone!  I'm feeling pretty good about it so far.  More testing to be done over the next few days.  I need to cut kids puzzles next week which will be a good "easy" test for the saw to break it in and for me to get familiar with it.

If anybody s a scroll saw test pilot you are .God bless the remarkable strides you've made with scroll saws and shared!

3 minutes ago, Rolf said:

Did you do a comparison between the two arms to see what the issue may be.?

Keep us posted. Lots of crossed fingers and toes out here!

Nilus had figured out the problem and when he called me last Thursday he mentioned it, I checked, and sure enough that was it.  The arm itself had a defect which was allowing the piece that attached to it at the front that adjusts the pitch of the blade to "wiggle", it should not have had any play in it at all.  The new one is rock solid.

One of the nice things about the Hawk is that there are so few moving parts that things can be narrowed down somewhat easily.  And replacing the lower arm was easy enough that even an Iggy could do it.

19 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

Nilus had figured out the problem and when he called me last Thursday he mentioned it, I checked, and sure enough that was it.  The arm itself had a defect which was allowing the piece that attached to it at the front that adjusts the pitch of the blade to "wiggle", it should not have had any play in it at all.  The new one is rock solid.

One of the nice things about the Hawk is that there are so few moving parts that things can be narrowed down somewhat easily.  And replacing the lower arm was easy enough that even an Iggy could do it.

This is one big reason I like these saws.. You don't have to spend 30 -45 minutes taking off covers etc to trouble shoot a noise or something.. it's all right in plain view.. LOL.. plus.. on a Dewalt.. those covers need to be on in order to run it.. unless you rig something up to hold things in place that is :) 

Wasn't the original hold up on the first saw because they had to wait on arms to be made or an issue with the arm? Makes me wonder if the machinist had set up the machine wrong.. sounds like they are real busy people and maybe tired and rushed to get things done.. I suspect this to be somewhat the issue with the first saw.. when they got it back and run test on it.. they found it to be the problem.. Just speculation on my part... but does make one wonder.. Still hard for me to believe the story of damage in shipping on it's side or whatever.. looking at my saw.. it's pretty stout.. I don't see how even dropping it on it's side would do much if any damage LOL.. 

Either way we all make mistakes and are human.. I'm just glad that Iggy had the patience to wait this out and they got it all taken care of.. ( Hopefully ). Thinking maybe both parties have learned a lesson or two :) 

52 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Wasn't the original hold up on the first saw because they had to wait on arms to be made or an issue with the arm? Makes me wonder if the machinist had set up the machine wrong.. sounds like they are real busy people and maybe tired and rushed to get things done.. I suspect this to be somewhat the issue with the first saw.. when they got it back and run test on it.. they found it to be the problem.. Just speculation on my part... but does make one wonder.. Still hard for me to believe the story of damage in shipping on it's side or whatever.. looking at my saw.. it's pretty stout.. I don't see how even dropping it on it's side would do much if any damage LOL.. 

Either way we all make mistakes and are human.. I'm just glad that Iggy had the patience to wait this out and they got it all taken care of.. ( Hopefully ). Thinking maybe both parties have learned a lesson or two :) 

The initial delay when I placed my order was because it was wheat harvest season... they're also a working farm.  :-)

Recently, Nikole just had a baby, Scott is her husband and Nilus is Grandpa, so they've had a lot going on the past few weeks and shorthanded as Nikole and Scott have both been out.

Small businesses have unique situations and I try my best to be flexible whenever I can.

2 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

The initial delay when I placed my order was because it was wheat harvest season... they're also a working farm.  :-)

Recently, Nikole just had a baby, Scott is her husband and Nilus is Grandpa, so they've had a lot going on the past few weeks and shorthanded as Nikole and Scott have both been out.

Small businesses have unique situations and I try my best to be flexible whenever I can.

Yes I knew about the Harvesting.. But I also thought it was mentioned that they was having some sort of complications with a part for the saw.. maybe nothing to do with the arm.. just thought it was.. Maybe I am thinking of something else.. I tend to do that with old age.. lol

Edited: Okay I looked up the topic to see if I was loosing my mind again, LOL... You said they was having an issue with a part.. but later in that topic you mentioned it was with the table of the saw... so anyway.. I was only loosing half my mind.. as I swore you said there was a problem.. ;) 

Edited by kmmcrafts

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 2:33 PM, Iguanadon said:

When it's that hot outside, I sit inside on the computer. Why sweat?

Ray