Good afternoon, dear sawers, I need your advice

TheBlindMonk

Hello, my name is Alexander, I work as a barman, almost all my free time I dedicate to cosplay and crafting of the necessary equipment for festivals. I craft not for sale, just for myself. I'm new to this and I can not boast of special achievements. I'm learning how to craft of tutorials that I find on the Internet from experienced cosplayers. At the last festival, I had to make a blade of Talon character from the League of Legends game. (In the attachment I add pictures of a blade, some photos as I did it and a photo from festival). I was advised to use a material called styrene foam. Simply the insulation sheets that are used when laying the floor. This is a very light material that is easy to handle. During the creation and during the festival, I noticed to my displeasure quite a few small things that made me think about using other materials.
Pros of polyurethane foam
- it is very light, you can do very large and huge things, huge swords, sledgehammers, etc. Not fearing that you can not then raise it.
- It is very easy to form it, you can cut out the necessary details with a simple office knife, and give the desired shape using a trihedral file.
- Availability - you can buy it in any building shop and it costs quite a bit.
Minuses:
-Very fragile and soft - it is necessary additionally to reinforce it with a primer or epoxy resin to give hardness.
-Difficulties in painting - as easy it is to mold,  as difficult to paint it after - ordinary paints corrode this material, you have to use a lot of layers of primer or spread a few layers of glue on a rubber base.

Given all of the above, I decided to try to make the next craft of wood.

From electric tools, I only have a drill and I have never worked other stuff. Therefore, I ask you for help in choosing the right tools that I might need for further crafting. As far as I understand it, I would need the scroll saw, I do not quite know how to use it and how to choose the right model. I`ve looked through several reviews, but still understand nothing. In late September, I will have another festival for which I need to make another blade and a few small items for dressing. I hope for you, and I ask you to help me to deal with all this)
Possible saws(Hope that you`ll advise smth better and probably cheaper) https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk//scroll-saws
My Facebook, if I`m not online right now. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005224757955

590.JPG

images.jpg

Без названия.jpg

^06CE51F8DCC6EE2FE232C3FD1C895B12925FF2F0B01DF6547D^pimgpsh_thumbnail_win_distr.jpg

^969447C2F35B0FB6B399BFD52B6EC896C8727413F64B89E62D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^F1C4F8F80A6EB9222826D005328F3A73DD901ADC0BE6C9626C^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^4D7EC28E49E108431564D36E702BFF942F8B040A13926750A7^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Do not trust sites like best advisers.  We have the U.S. counterpart to these kinds of sites (like scrollsawreviews.com) which are a joke.  These folk don't know anything about scroll saws except what they read in other peoples reviews.

Check out the scrollsaw reviews on this site, which will give you a much better idea.  Only trust a scroller to review a scroll saw. 

Hi, Alexander,

Nice sword you made!
For casual use, just about any scrollsaw would be fine.
However, the throat of the saw (the distance from the blade to the back of the arm)
can limit how long your project can be so, you will probably  want to buy a scroll saw
bigger than the small 15" or 16" inch saws.
For comfort, you may want to avoid saws that require a tool such as an allen wrench to
change blades. It is just more frustrating using a tool than to use a scrollsaw that has
knobs to change the blades with just your fingers.
If used a lot, parts do wear out on the saw so, you may want to be sure you can get
replacement parts nearby and easily.

Good luck with your choice and God Bless! Spirithorse

Alexander, fist of all, I want to welcome you to The Village. I am unable to help you with your problem as I do not know anything about what you do. I am kind of an old guy so that is probably why I am unknowing of the things you are interested in. It looks like to me, that you are interested in making long items like swords or something like that and perhaps some time of handsaw and files might work better for you then a scroll saw , with all of it's limitations as to cutting long pieces of wood. Sorry I can not help you with this but I do have to say that I did enjoy  your photos and the piece you made out of the Styrofoam. 

I hope, even if you do not get the answers you are after, that you  continue to log on to the village as you will find the people here are friendly and fun to get to know.

Dick

heppnerguy

• 2 months later...

Hello. I returned. Since the writing of my first post, quite a lot has happened.

First - my laptop was stolen and my phone is quite old - without access to the Internet.

Second - I left for two months to my father in the US. This was my first experience living abroad and I got a great practice in English.

Third - about a week ago I returned and from nothing to do painted a wall in my room.

And finally the fourth - I received a salary and bought myself a new laptop, so I can write here again!

I add a photo of the wall.

Also a small description of what I do and what materials I work with. As I have said- I`m engaged in cosplay, so I need craft different stuff for festivals. Like swords, details of armor, various staffs - accessories, etc. The materials I work with are polyvinyl chloride, expanded polystyrene, plastic and sometimes wood. Usually, all kraft is very voluminous, so I have to use such lightweight materials. I also have a great desire to try to make something out of metal, but there are problems with it. I do not have a suitable workplace - usually, I'm crafting on the balcony))

In short - that's all. I'm very happy to be back and will keep you posted on my development))

11008364_1486828618208705_1917367960_n.jpg

O3My1eWoUro.jpg

Edited by TheBlindMonk

6 minutes ago, meflick said:

Welcome back.  You are correct - you had a lot going on lately.  Sorry for the loss of your laptop.  glad you were finally able to get a new one  Nice work on the painting.  Hope you enjoyed your time here in the USA.

It was fun, especially I liked the ocean (my father lives in California). It was a very unusual feeling to see the streets and embankments that I had only seen before in the cinema. Also, I fall in love with San Francisco. I liked Charmed (serial)since childhood and always dreamed to visit Golden Gate.  So many expressions) 

On 9/1/2017 at 12:48 PM, hotshot said:

Do not trust sites like best advisers.  We have the U.S. counterpart to these kinds of sites (like scrollsawreviews.com) which are a joke.  These folk don't know anything about scroll saws except what they read in other peoples reviews.

Check out the scrollsaw reviews on this site, which will give you a much better idea.  Only trust a scroller to review a scroll saw. 

Absolutely !