🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

2 Day Event Becomes 1 Day Event

Iguanadon

I cut a 2 day event short by packing up at the end of the day today for a couple of reasons today.  Number 1 is that there was supposed to be 2 booths between me and a food vendor, but ended up with nobody between us, which would have been fine, but... he was running a very loud generator for his operations and I had to listen to it for 10 hours and couldn't take it any longer.  The venue folks were great, they tried to help by putting bales of hay around it to try to buffer the noise and it helped, but it was still crazy loud and annoying.  I told the organizer I wouldn't be back for day 2 and she offered to move me to a new spot, but I kindly declined and she said she'd give me a discount for the booth rental fee at the next event I sign up with them.

Sales were "good" today, but not great.  If it hadn't been for the director of the plantation house (and stables and farm) where the event was held asking me if I sell wholesale and then buying 8 puzzles to put in her gift shop, today would have been sub-par.

And unless it's a mega event... no more 2 day events for Iggy.  The 2nd day is always much less in my experience, so it just isn't worth it financially as well as losing an entire weekend.  

Mrs. Iggy wants to go to it tomorrow to browse and shop, so I'll be a customer for day 2.  :-)

IMG_20170916_083312.jpg

IMG_20170916_083259.jpg

6 minutes ago, rjweb said:

Sorry it was a bust, but you made a good contact and that is worth something, enjoy your day of being a customer, RJ

How did the letter names make out?

I'll be very happy if they decide to stock more puzzles in the gift shop.  I hope to hear from them soon saying they sold the ones they bought.  :-)

No nibbles on the letter names today.  I need to figure a way to display them in a way that stands out so they get noticed.  I'll experiment over the next few weeks/events.

45 minutes ago, Phantom Scroller said:

Better luck next time Iggy and fine out who's next to you or get some ear muffs.:lol: At least you got some sales not a total washout .:thumbs: Roly

It was funny Roly, when I received the layout map a few days ahead of the event, I was happy to see 2 food trucks nearby to draw foot traffic over... until I got there yesterday morning and they kicked on their generators.  Never again.  LOL

Edited by Iguanadon

So, here is a section of the layout map from the event.  When I received it and reviewed it, I was pretty happy with my location.  Near the food trucks and bouncy house... decent foot traffic.  But... in reality what happened was I did get some foot traffic from that as expected, however the majority of the shopping foot traffic followed along the red lines, the major rows of vendors, and I got a lot of what I refer to as the "neck crane" passersby... as they're making the turn at the corner, they kind of look over, crane their neck to see "what's down there?" and 90% of the time they turn the corner and just keep walking along the primary row.

I think I've also learned a lesson... At some events, on the application, they ask if you want access to electricity and I usually check the box saying yes because I like to be able to shrink wrap any display puzzles that are purchased.  But, that then limits the number of places they will place me because only so many vendor spots are near electrical outlets.  I need to just say No to that question and be placed in the main vendor area(s).  I have other bags that I use with a twist tie for events in which they don't offer electricity and I'd rather have a more prime location.

2017-09-17_0904

Edited by Iguanadon

4 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

It was funny Roly, when I received the layout map a few days ahead of the event, I was happy to see 2 food trucks nearby to draw foot traffic over... until I got there yesterday morning and they kicked on their generators.  Never again.  LOL

Ah well we live & learn Iggy :lol: Roly

So... I said I'd never do a 2 day event again unless it's a mega event... and what do I do?  I sign up this morning for a THREE day event.  LOL  This one is 4 blocks from my house and it's a pretty sizable event.  Port City Ribfest.  This will be the first time our town is hosting it so it's a bit of a crapshoot, but they typically get 10,000-12,000 visitors for it and maybe since it's happening at the beach, maybe it'll draw even more people.

On 9/16/2017 at 6:48 PM, Iguanadon said:

I cut a 2 day event short by packing up at the end of the day today for a couple of reasons today.  Number 1 is that there was supposed to be 2 booths between me and a food vendor, but ended up with nobody between us, which would have been fine, but... he was running a very loud generator for his operations and I had to listen to it for 10 hours and couldn't take it any longer.  The venue folks were great, they tried to help by putting bales of hay around it to try to buffer the noise and it helped, but it was still crazy loud and annoying.  I told the organizer I wouldn't be back for day 2 and she offered to move me to a new spot, but I kindly declined and she said she'd give me a discount for the booth rental fee at the next event I sign up with them.

Sales were "good" today, but not great.  If it hadn't been for the director of the plantation house (and stables and farm) where the event was held asking me if I sell wholesale and then buying 8 puzzles to put in her gift shop, today would have been sub-par.

And unless it's a mega event... no more 2 day events for Iggy.  The 2nd day is always much less in my experience, so it just isn't worth it financially as well as losing an entire weekend.  

Mrs. Iggy wants to go to it tomorrow to browse and shop, so I'll be a customer for day 2.  :-)

IMG_20170916_083312.jpg

IMG_20170916_083259.jpg

Can we have a glimpse of Mrs Iggy for the record!