🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Garapa Wood

trackman

I picked up a piece of garapa were I get my wood.  They were out of yellow heart and first time having this type in stock.  Just a bit darker than yellow heart but cuts a lot harder.  This cross I have made in the past using only two blades.  To cut it this time using garapa wood it took 9 blades (#5 pegas mg) and wanted to burn worst than cherry.   I didn't think I was going to get it resawed from 4/4 to 2/4 even with a new band saw blade.  Won't be buying anymore of this unless to make a box or something that doesn't take a lot of fret cutting.  It is a Sue Mey pattern, almost forgot.

IMG_1783.jpg

That's a lovely cross Delvaughn.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Garapa too.  My local DIY shed has started stocking decking made from Garapa and also Purpleheart.  I bought an offcut of purpleheart and have turned a pen from it but I don't think I will bother with the Garapa after hearing of your experience.

Rob

On 9/17/2017 at 8:37 PM, trackman said:

I picked up a piece of garapa were I get my wood.  They were out of yellow heart and first time having this type in stock.  Just a bit darker than yellow heart but cuts a lot harder.  This cross I have made in the past using only two blades.  To cut it this time using garapa wood it took 9 blades (#5 pegas mg) and wanted to burn worst than cherry.   I didn't think I was going to get it resawed from 4/4 to 2/4 even with a new band saw blade.  Won't be buying anymore of this unless to make a box or something that doesn't take a lot of fret cutting.  It is a Sue Mey pattern, almost forgot.

IMG_1783.jpg

Remarkable job considering all!