We notice you are using AdBlock.  Please consider turning it off for Scroll Saw Village.  We rely on minimal ads to keep the lights on.  Thank you for your support.

Howdy All.  I thought it would be fun to start incorporating some Scroll Saw Challenges on SSV.  So let's start off with a Halloween challenge!

The theme for this challenge is "Halloween."  Post your Halloween themed finished project, or a pattern you designed here.  The theme is open to interpretation.  You can post something spooky, harvest, or fall related project.  When you post it, say a little something about it.  Maybe a little story related to the project, what inspiration you took, materials or techniques used.  It doesn't have to be elaborate.  But it's nice to read a little about a project and seeing the picture or pattern.

I'll start.  I went back to MT recently and my dad got a new DeWalt scroll saw.  I've been looking at upgrading mine (an old craftsman 16") and I figured I'd try his out to see how well I like the DeWalt.  I picked this pattern from SSWW&C to test it out.  It was a fun project.  I dabbed craft paint on the surface, leaving the inside cuts raw wood.  Then I used antiquing paste wax to distress it a bit.

You can find the pattern here: http://scrollsawer.com/2017/08/01/nr-festive-jack-o-lanterns/

large.pumpkins.jpg

I love this!!! I have a few projects from years past and a couple of Halloween/fall things on my cutting list.  I like having a challenge posted, it gives me an excuse to make something.

Okay I will dig one up from the past, don't have time to do something new before Halloween. 

This one I did for another contest on a pen making forum.  I did use a scroll saw on it, to cut the bats.  I made this pen buy cutting strips of black drain, waste, vent pipe.  I glued three strips together, scrolled the bats in it.  Glued 3 more strips together and scrolled more bats in different locations.  I filled the bats with a mixture of red paint/epoxy.  Once it was all cured, I glued the two stacks of strips together, then cut it to the lengths I needed to make the top and bottom of the pen.  Put it on the lathe and turned the two pieces.  Believe me I was really surprised it turn out as good as it did.  I had no idea how the bats would look.  It was all an experiment and really fun to do.  I won that little contest....! (I think there were about 6 people participating).  My daughter stole the pen from me!  still drags it out every Halloween to use.

bat pen.jpg

Edited by Scrappile

I designed this and my youngest child came up with the colors for the backer got the idea from Kenny Hopkins a friend on facebook he made a couple so I went and found some images and put it into the hat and it is also going to be in scrollers choice magazine on the cover.

20171001_163453.jpg

20 hours ago, angeleyes3853 said:

I designed this and my youngest child came up with the colors for the backer got the idea from Kenny Hopkins a friend on facebook he made a couple so I went and found some images and put it into the hat and it is also going to be in scrollers choice magazine on the cover.

20171001_163453.jpg

Dang Florence, that is cool. You and your child make a great team. 

Edited by Dan

Here is a silhouette of a ghost shining on my house. Just a 10" Scrollsaw project with a high intensity light shining on it.
Just move the light nearer or further away to adjust the size you want on your house.
The second pic is one of Steve Good's recent patterns.

God Bless! Spirithorse

I don't know why my color is so messed up on my phone. The Steve Good pic is made from Baltic Birch and
the carpet it is laying on is actually blue! Go figure.

Ghost silhouette.jpg

Steve Goode's Ghost.jpg

On 10/4/2017 at 6:19 PM, angeleyes3853 said:

20171001_163453.jpg

very cool idea with the hat and all the color going on here.. love it...not familiar with the magazine. will try and find it. I had some of my work put in Scollsaw Woodworking and craft magazine, but certainly not on the cover. What an honor....

Dick

heppnerguy

On 10/5/2017 at 8:26 PM, spirithorse said:

Here is a silhouette of a ghost shining on my house. Just a 10" Scrollsaw project with a high intensity light shining on it.
Just move the light nearer or further away to adjust the size you want on your house.
The second pic is one of Steve Good's recent patterns.

God Bless! Spirithorse

I don't know why my color is so messed up on my phone. The Steve Good pic is made from Baltic Birch and
the carpet it is laying on is actually blue! Go figure.

Ghost silhouette.jpg

Steve Goode's Ghost.jpg

like the shadow on the house.. Hey check your camera setting on your phone. It appears to me to be set on sepia, I believe it is called.

Dick

heppnerguy