NEED EXPERT OPINIONS

Scrappile

Rolf

I emptied the Dust Deputy yesterday when it was about one third full (five gallon Dust Deputy pail).  I took the filter off the vac and there was almost nothing in the filter and if I really wanted to clean the inside of the vac I would have had to use compressed air as there was nothing which would have fallen out by turning the vac over.  I did clean the filter just because I had it out but opening the vac was really a complete waste of time.  For anyone using a vac for dust collection, there would be no better Christmas gift than a Dust Deputy.

When using the planer and because of the high volume I put a dust/chip collector between the Dust Deputy and the planer.  Mine is a Laguana which they no longer make.  I had the Rockler shown on the web site but I managed to break the plastic tabs securing the top.  The Laguana has clips which hold the top in place.  Regardless, even with the volume of the planer nothing really got through to the vac unless I did not empty the dust collector and the Dust Deputy frequently enough.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-dust-right-dust-separator-with-2-1-2-expandable-hose

By the way, I did start with only the Rockler between the saw and vac and it was crap.  The Dust Deputy is the real deal and something like the Rockler between a high volume chip/dust generator does work well and lessens the frequency of having to empty the Dust Deputy.

Edited by Doug

On 10/15/2017 at 11:18 PM, dgman said:

Paul, I'm not an expert on vacs, but I do have my dust collector hooked up to my scroll saw. I have it hooked up to a remote control. I turn it on when I start cutting and leave it on until I'm done cutting. A dust collector is a lot quieter than a vac, but it can still be loud. When I'm scrolling I either am listening to music or a NASCAR race or football game, so I always have headphones on.

I leave my dust collector on rather than off/on switching.

I have a similar question on my new Ford truck. The engine shuts off after a few seconds when I stop for a traffic light, etc and then restarts when I remove my food from the brake pedal.

It is supposed to improve gas mileage but I'm wondering whether it is worth the wear and tear on the starter. comments?

bb

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

One of the reasons I stopped using my Dust Deputy (DD) is I mounted it on a 5 gallon bucket.  The lid to the bucket is a bear to get off and my old hands make it even worse as I get older.  I've been looking for ways to make a lid that would be easy to remove. 

The buckets that come with the DD are much easier to remove than a standard bucket lid. They are not tough at all. It comes with two buckets but I'm not sure why except maybe to mount it to the vac but I am only using one. I have a spare now but I probably will never use it.