NEED EXPERT OPINIONS

Scrappile

I have finally set up great dust collection for my scroll saws.  The Fein dust extractor, comes on when I start the scroll saw and shuts off when I shut the scroll saw.  Today I was thinking,, I know this is dangerous (thinking), but the kind of scrolling I do mostly is fret work.  That means the Fein is going on and off all the time.. Maybe it would just be better for the vac, if I just left it on while I am doing this kind of work, instead.. What so you think, what would be best for the Fein?

24 minutes ago, JOE_M said:

What kind of motor is on the Fein - AC, DC, induction, universal, brushes or no, start/run/both capacitors etc.?

?????:lol:  Way over my head.  I just know if I plug the tool into the Fien, the Fein will start 3 seconds after I start the tool and turn off 15 seconds after I turn the tool off.  If I knew what you are asking, I wouldn't have the question.:roll:

Paul, I'm not an expert on vacs, but I do have my dust collector hooked up to my scroll saw. I have it hooked up to a remote control. I turn it on when I start cutting and leave it on until I'm done cutting. A dust collector is a lot quieter than a vac, but it can still be loud. When I'm scrolling I either am listening to music or a NASCAR race or football game, so I always have headphones on.

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I have finally set up great dust collection for my scroll saws.  The Fein dust extractor, comes on when I start the scroll saw and shuts off when I shut the scroll saw.  Today I was thinking,, I know this is dangerous (thinking), but the kind of scrolling I do mostly is fret work.  That means the Fein is going on and off all the time.. Maybe it would just be better for the vac, if I just left it on while I am doing this kind of work, instead.. What so you think, what would be best for the Fein?

Fein is a very very good brand and is a great dust collector with many features and the turbos are right there with Festool. 67db is quiet for a shop vac. It is designed to come on and off as with sanders and other saws. But with a scrollsaw and the amount of on and off I would choose to leave it run. The electronics in it for the soft start and continuous run could prove to put a burden on it. Would save wear and tear in my opinion. 

I would lean towards turning on and leaving on until you are done the on off on off regular as it is with changing holes etc whilst scrolling may have an effect on the life span of the switch etc that is my thought for what it is worth, I have a dust collector in a little shed outside my work one connected via tubes etc that i switch on when I am at the saw and off again after I put outside the shop to try and get some peace from the constant WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA of the thing but I still hear it not as much but it is still there what a great invention a silent one would be I have even thought about sound proofing the little plastic shed it is in but then I wonder will it overheat etc oh I long for a quiet dust collector I wonder if her indoors will let me put it in there and run a pipe to my shed :) probably not , thanks for the pictures of your hegner dust extractor add on a little while back by the way, I am on the hunt for the pipes I need that will help loads .

I have the Fien  VS  vac. I stopped using it on my scroll saw .Instead I use a fan with a filter on th back of the saw and a angled blower nozzle with compressed air . Very little dust escapes this set up. About once every half hour the 60 gallon compresser kicks on and scares the daylight  out of me. I have the Regulator set at 35# for the saw and it works out great.To get back to your question.I have been running my Fien on tool Start for 1 1/2 years now with no effect at all.That is what they were made for.Whether you are sanding ,sawing, drilling.Now if you don't mind the saw running all  the time, then use a remote. I think a remote works better.i have them for the fans and use it to run the vac for my lathe.

Edited by tonylumps

Why not call Fein and ask them?

I prefer getting dust at the source.  With my setup, I capture the dust close to the blade top and bottom.  If you blow dust around some will escape especially with fine dust. My Festool goes on and off with the saw but I do not do fret work.

Paul

No science or logic to my opinion but I have been using auto off and on with scroll saw for several years with no problem.  If you have not done so I strongly encourage you to get an Oneida Dust Deputy to place between the saw and vac.  With the Dust Deputy almost no saw dust goes through to the vac and a clogged filter is probably harder on the vac then on/off with the saw.

DC Vacuum and Oneida Dust Deputy.JPG

I have a Dust Deputy that I use to use on my shop vac.  Had it mounted with the vac, but in my little shop it was just to cumbersome to move around (made the footprint of the shop vac larger).  The Dust Deputy worked good, sure cut down on the frequency of having to clean the filter, which is one job I hate. 

On 10/15/2017 at 8:07 PM, Scrappile said:

I would leave it on myself.

On 10/15/2017 at 10:23 PM, Scrappile said:

I think leaving it on would keep something from wearing out.  Use the auto shut off and on for longer running machines...Thats my take.

Yeah Paul I agree with your logic especially when cutting fretwork.   Some cuts on fretwork only take a matter of a few seconds and I think that shutting off a vac and turning it back on again it that type of scenario is just not a good idea.   I believe your reasoning on undo wear is sound.   The scroll saw turning off and on is a situation we can't realistically do anything about why add to the wear factor?   JMHO 

Edited by stoney

On 10/16/2017 at 8:14 AM, Scrappile said:

I have a Dust Deputy that I use to use on my shop vac.  Had it mounted with the vac, but in my little shop it was just to cumbersome to move around (made the footprint of the shop vac larger).  The Dust Deputy worked good, sure cut down on the frequency of having to clean the filter, which is one job I hate. 

I have just recently purchased a used Fein and the Dust Deputy. I am going to be plumbing it so that when I am using my scroll saw, the Fein will be connected to the DD. I am going to "T" off to be able to use the Fein to also clean around the shop. I want it to be multi-use. But everything will still end up in the DD. Not the Fein.

On 10/16/2017 at 8:14 AM, Scrappile said:

I have just recently purchased a used Fein and the Dust Deputy. I am going to be plumbing it so that when I am using my scroll saw, the Fein will be connected to the DD. I am going to "T" off to be able to use the Fein to also clean around the shop. I want it to be multi-use. But everything will still end up in the DD. Not the Fein. It does seem to me though, to answer the original question, that it is a simple matter of flipping the switch from "auto" to "on" when doing fret work. Or just leave it on "auto" when doing anything else.

Ray

Unless the noise bothers you, I would leave it on.

My vacuum is a re-purposed whole house Central Vacuum that came from my neighbor's house when they remodeled.It had a bad control transformer and I replaced it. The vacuum unit is mounted to the wall of the attic above my shop and has an Oneida Dust Deputy separator sitting on the shop made lid of a  20 gallon re-purposed metal grease barrel that my son found for me.  I used the central vacuum pipe when I installed it, in the shop walls and shop ceiling, putting an inlet on each side of my shop, one in the attic, and one through my shop wall  near the passage door, so I can vacuum my cars and trucks with it too. I have placed hooks along the shop ceiling to let me route the 25' vacuum hose across the ceiling to anywhere that I frequently use it, to my scroll saws, work benches, scroll saws, drill presses, sanders, etc.   This system has been so quiet that I've had to add an orange light to the shop ceiling to remind me that it's on. It remains on as long as I am using the tool that it is connected to, and sometimes is on for several hours at a time. The Dust Deputy ahead of the vacuum unit has separated almost all (about 99.9%) of the dust from the air stream, leaving nothing really visible in the collection container of the vacuum unit after 10 or more gallons of dust has been separated by the Dust Deputy. I have to rub the wall of the vacuum's container in order to see my finger mark in the dust, just so I can see how little is left. The exhaust of the vacuum goes to the outdoors, so not even the micro fine dust that may get past the Dust Deputy and the Central Vacuum's internal fabric filter ever gets back into my shop or my lungs.This system is not a true wood shop dust collector, but my shop is small, so this system handles most of my needs except for my table saw, jointer,, planer, chop saw,  and routers.  If I will be using the the chop saw, routers or sanders for any amount of time I'll  hook the hose to them too, but the collection methods on them are not very good.

My table saw is a Unisaw, so most of the saw dust from it collects in the base cabinet. The jointer has a chute for the chips that slide out into a small waste container. The planer never gets used inside the shop and has an exhaust hose that empties into a 55 gallon barrel.  I always use it outdoors in the parking area of the driveway. The biggest dust problem in my shop are my routers. Even though I connect them to the vacuum system, it is usually only partially effective, but the chips and dust do get cleaned up off the shop floor afterward using the Central Vacuum and Dust Deputy. 

Charley

Paul good question as I have the same setup using a Festool instead of the Fein.  My saw is not plugged into the vac instead I have an outlet strip plugged into my foot switch and the vacuum plugged into it.  Evidently my Hawk didn't draw enough current to turn on the vacuum.  These vacuums  were designed to short cycle since that is what you are doing when sanding, but the frequency of on/off when doing fretwork may warrant leaving it on.  The hose that came with my vacuum is long enough that I can put it fairly far away to reduce what little noise it makes. 

Have you ever timed how long it takes for you to go from one hole to the next?

Doug, how much of the fine dust that the SS generates gets caught in the dust deputy? I would think that the dust  is so fine that it would go straight through.

Edited by Rolf

4 hours ago, Rolf said:

Paul good question as I have the same setup using a Festool instead of the Fein.  My saw is not plugged into the vac instead I have an outlet strip plugged into my foot switch and the vacuum plugged into it.  Evidently my Hawk didn't draw enough current to turn on the vacuum.  These vacuums  were designed to short cycle since that is what you are doing when sanding, but the frequency of on/off when doing fretwork may warrant leaving it on.  The hose that came with my vacuum is long enough that I can put it fairly far away to reduce what little noise it makes. 

Have you ever timed how long it takes for you to go from one hole to the next?

Doug, how much of the fine dust that the SS generates gets caught in the dust deputy? I would think that the dust  is so fine that it would go straight through.

Rolf, depending where the hole is located and how big the hole is relative to the blade I'm using, it takes me around 18 seconds or less to go from one hole to the next.  I know this because the vac shuts off 15 seconds after the saw is turned off.  I usually get in the next hole and start cutting before the vac shuts down.  But when in the middle of the picture feeding a small blade through a #68 or #70 hole,  the vac shuts down before I get started again.

Also, most of the noise I hear comes for the nozzle opening, on the Loc-Line, the sound of air sucking.

I posted this question on the Festool site and this is the response I got back. I was also curious about the motor being brush less or not. 

I would think that the Fein is the same.

Thanks Doug, I think I will ask Santa for the Oneida Dust deputy attachment for my Festool.

10/22/17

Q: Is the motor brushless? Also what would be better, run for long duration or short cycle the motor?

10/22/17

A: The motor is not brushless. There’s no harm in cycling the motor. The vac is tool-triggered when in auto mode so it will turn on and off with the attached tool.