New Scroller

CuckooJodie

Hello!

I'm a new member and new to scroll sawing -- as in this week. I design and import cuckoo clocks from Germany. But the design phase has been taking literally years, so I am now starting to do that part here at my farm in Georgia.

For my first clock designed here I had a CNC router guy and an award-winning hand carver do the clock as it requires precision and skill. As a quilter I figured I could tackle the prototype design stage myself for other clocks I have on the drawing (Corel Draw) board. Heck, it's just a different material! Between buying a few tools and borrowing a planer (I used it int he aisle of the barn and pointed it toward a stall) and scroll saw -- and thank goodness for You Tube -- here's the first attempt at a Birdwatcher's Cuckoo Clock. The cuckoo door will be in the deciduous tree, there will be a dial, the sun may be bigger and might wink, there will be at least three birds and a squirrel... For a first go-round I am quite pleased.

Thanks for all the knowledge I have already gained from all of you on this forum. It's super fun to be working with wood!

Jodie Davis

The Cuckoo Clock Designer soon to be rebranded as The American Cuckoo Clock Company

IMG_20171228_211023720.jpg

On 12/29/2017 at 1:59 PM, CuckooJodie said:

Hello!

I'm a new member and new to scroll sawing -- as in this week. I design and import cuckoo clocks from Germany. But the design phase has been taking literally years, so I am now starting to do that part here at my farm in Georgia.

For my first clock designed here I had a CNC router guy and an award-winning hand carver do the clock as it requires precision and skill. As a quilter I figured I could tackle the prototype design stage myself for other clocks I have on the drawing (Corel Draw) board. Heck, it's just a different material! Between buying a few tools and borrowing a planer (I used it int he aisle of the barn and pointed it toward a stall) and scroll saw -- and thank goodness for You Tube -- here's the first attempt at a Birdwatcher's Cuckoo Clock. The cuckoo door will be in the deciduous tree, there will be a dial, the sun may be bigger and might wink, there will be at least three birds and a squirrel... For a first go-round I am quite pleased.

Thanks for all the knowledge I have already gained from all of you on this forum. It's super fun to be working with wood!

Jodie Davis

The Cuckoo Clock Designer soon to be rebranded as The American Cuckoo Clock Company

IMG_20171228_211023720.jpg

Hi Jodie,i took a look see at your site ,great work ,Welcome! Jodie Davis the Cuckoo Clock ...

On 1/1/2018 at 10:48 AM, Bfreeman said:

Welcome Jodie I’m Bill From Wi . I love cuckoos I made the Woodland cuckoo from Dirk Boelmans art factory loved doing it .

Hi Bill,

What great patterns!

Mine are true Black Forest cuckoo clocks so are weight driven, the old-fashioned way. Having sold them for a few years I've gotten pretty good at tweaking them, but building them from scratch is a whole other story. Hooking up bellows, cuckoo, and animation -- I'm on quite a learning curve!

I've already found a lot of help here which saved me from trying things that wouldn't work. Thank you!

Jodie