🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Something New For The New Year - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

SomethingNew.png

Happy New Year!  

May 2018 bring you prosperity, comfort, and hope.

With the new year, comes New Years Resolutions!  So that's what this month's scroll saw challenge is.  I want you to try something new with scroll sawing.  Maybe you've always wanted to try intarsia?  Or compound cutting?  Coin cutting?  Something artsy?  Or maybe try your hand at pattern making?  Post something that you've wanted to try but haven't had the excuse to until now.  Find something new, and give it a try.  I can't wait to see what you come up with!

On 1/2/2018 at 3:48 PM, Travis said:

SomethingNew.png

Happy New Year!  

With the new year, comes New Years Resolutions!  So that's what this month's scroll saw challenge is.  I want you to try something new with scroll sawing.  Maybe you've always wanted to try intarsia?  Or compound cutting?  Coin cutting?  Something artsy?  Or maybe try your hand at pattern making?  Post something that you've wanted to try but haven't had the excuse to until now.  Find something new, and give it a try.  I can't wait to see what you come up with!

If i could ever make way to get to my machines and hard woods i'd like to spin my wheels and be an eccentric scroller for a change.Try everything!

On 1/2/2018 at 1:46 PM, WayneMahler said:

Happy New Year to you and your Travis. Something new to try on a scroll saw. That will have me going towards marquetry.  Oh and learning portrait patterns.

Wayne, marquetry is fun and really easy once you learn the basics. I took a class near me and it was great. Good luck.

Ray

I want to try inlay. I am going to learn to make Shaker Boxes, and I want to incorporate using the scroll saw with them.  I think inlays in the tops of the boxes might work.   I also want to do more detailed, intricate scrolling like a large wall clock, some more boxes, maybe do the 23 Psalms pattern I have had for a couple years. 

i am kinda new here. this is my first post.

after running across a scrolling video on YT i made as a Christmas gift a 3D'ed a photo of some friends.

when my son visited he took me to a comic book store and suggested i try a cover.

well, on the 1st one i tried i was pleased so yesterday i tried another.

web of top thumb.jpg

hulk15percent.jpg

Edited by 3Dface
dyslexia... words left out

On 1/5/2018 at 8:12 PM, Scrappile said:

I want to try inlay. I am going to learn to make Shaker Boxes, and I want to incorporate using the scroll saw with them.  I think inlays in the tops of the boxes might work.   I also want to do more detailed, intricate scrolling like a large wall clock, some more boxes, maybe do the 23 Psalms pattern I have had for a couple years. 

I have made "shaker boxes" myself but first I made "Tiner"  (the plural of TIne, pronounced "tina")  They are traditionally made of norwegian pine and painted .  I made mine of oak and had it painted. Red Oak bends very well.  Easier than pine does.  I stopped making them years before I started doing inlay.  Lots of work, came out fine, very hard to sell. First photo is painted and the other two are decoupage.5a55289397b11_PaintedTine001.thumb.jpg.df540e41139795594fd78f7c82e0c794.jpg5a5528bd81d86_DecoupageoverpaintonTine(3)(2).jpg.1642fdcbf2d6e5b3f1a09128a940b6be.jpg5a5528de37f98_Trickortreatbasket.thumb.jpg.1400ce044a414598365009bd0bab1174.jpg

Edited by Jim Finn

I took a crack at pattern making and discovered that I kind of do them. I have a made a few of them that I ended up liking pretty well. but the thing I really want to learn it portrait patterns. I gave it a little shot and was semi satisfied, but I did not continue to pursuit it. I also have come a long way with the spiral this last year and feel mostly satisfied with those now. So for me. It has to be the portrait pursues this year. With only one effort to achieve, I should be able to accomplish that

Dick

heppnerguy

On 1/2/2018 at 3:48 PM, Travis said:

SomethingNew.png

Happy New Year!  

Does this count?

This month I am conducting 3 scroll saw workshops in my shop for a maximum of 4 attendees each time. Open to all 40 members of our community's woodworking club which consists of 40 members. I've done 2 so far and one more to go. Covers the basics of scroll saw tune up, blade selection, wood selection, planning the cut, sanding tips, and finishing tips. Attendees get to cut out a puzzle on one of my 3 saws. I provide a handout with tips and resources. Plus some patterns they can use to make puzzles for our local Toys for Tots Program. I have never taught anything before and it seems to be going well.

I just tried the adhesive shelf paper from Walmart. Placed it on the soft maple and then  adhered the pattern to the shelf paper. I used to adhere the pattern to the wood with temp adhesive and then cover with clear packaging tape to lubricate the blade.

The new (to me) technique does not leave a residue on the wood, as does temp adhesive, and therefore the results are much better when I dip the puzzle pieces in food dyes.

The only downside is that it takes longer to remove the shelf paper from the puzzle pieces. Long fingernails are a must too;)!

I like the shelf paper better than blue painter's tape because the shelf paper is clear and you can work around imperfections in the wood with pattern placement.

bb

That is a tough challenge Travis, I have done most everything that can be done with a scroll saw.  I have also done a design or two.  What I would like to do this year is a kinetic sculpture. Like one of Clayton Boyers designs.

When you say shelf paper I hope you mean the clear plastic not the paper. The plastic peals off very easily.

• Travis unpinned this topic