Pegas Upgrade for Excalibur/Seyco/or any EX Clone

hotshot

On 1/7/2018 at 5:39 PM, kmmcrafts said:

I messed around with it this afternoon.. and what is happening is.. I'm hitting the set screw thinking I have the blade all the way back but it's not.. Figured it was user error.. Like I said.. I've only cut the couple ornaments out and that was it..

I need to get this thing set up and use it.. 

i had problems with the set screw on the left side of the upper clamp loosening up and moving a bit. made it a bugger-bending the end of the blade a wee bit making it difficult to feed the blade. what i did was get a longer one at ace hardware and put a wrap of plumbers tape around the threads. a tedious job in itself( getting a wrap of that tape around suck a small screw), but stopped that set screw from moving.

On 1/7/2018 at 5:27 AM, JimErn said:

Color me confused.  How is this an "upgrade"?

I think of an upgrade as making something better.  All I see here is the same old thing, redesigned smaller.  The smaller redesign makes it cheaper to make I guess.

Same plastic lever

Only thing I see is that it looks like the blade clamp jaws actually clamp the blade - that will not induce stress in the material leading to eventual fatigue?

Site says,

less vibration - What has a properly mounted blade clamp to do with vibration?

more working comfort - huh?

Less mechanical stress - on what?  Same mounting bolts  as far as I see

Hi Jim:  If the articulating blade clamp is lighter than the factory original, vibrations would be reduced simply because the inertia would be reduced as the articulating arm and attached blade clamp reverse direction.  Looking at the changes, I suspect the reduction is more "by definition" than actively discernable.

Bruce

So, I asked Pegas about pricing and such, and they had one of their vendors in the U.S. contact me.  I've never heard of these guys, but here is a link to these clamps on their site:  https://qtena.com/pegas-scroll-saw-blade-chuck-head-set-p-9607.html

After shipping, the price was over $90, which is way way too much for this I think.  I'm all for a fair profit, but come on Pegas!  Hopefully they will come down a bit on those prices.

In any case, I did order this to try/review.

------Randy

Edited by hotshot

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 4:42 AM, JimErn said:

Dang site is acting up and I can not get another good look, but I got to thinking

It looks (looked) like the blade tightening screw is toward the front and the jaws actually clamp the blade, instead of the tightening screw clamping the blade as it is done now.

That means the blade MUST be inserted from the bottom only, straight up into the clamp.  Top feeders will not care, this is a deal breaker though for bottom feeders I would expect, it would be for me anyway.

These clamps are mechanically like the old.  The tensioner is smaller, there is a nut that locks the set screw so you don't have to use loctite (at least in theory).  The clamp knobs are interchangeable with the old, which is nice, because my modified Hegner knob, which is prefer, fits great.  If you compare the old and the Pegas, you will notice there is still a lot of aluminum in the front clamping part where you need it to be strong, but less in the back, to reduce weight.

I have hesitated to install mine because I'm trying to figure out how to take good vibration measurement using the old clamps before I switch.  There are a few factors that can affect vibration on the EX, like lack of tension, blade travel, and possibly my heavier Hegner knob.  I'm tried out a lot of various "Vibration Meter" IOS apps, but they are all pretty lousy for this purpose.  

Well its not quantifiable, but a martini glass with (colored) water and video will show vibrations for each install (old school test) <grin>

Thanks for the clarification on the clamping system, it looked to me like the clamping screw was tapped into the nut we can see on the opposite side.

Edited by JimErn
second thougnt