New to site and the art.

Gfhwoodwerks

Hello all, glad to be joining you all here on the forum. I'm new to the hobby, just bought an old craftsman 16" from eBay, and ask inspired but what I've seen. Originally I planned on doing mostly toys, a few boxes and bowls, but the more i research this hobby the more i like the idea of intarsia. I'm from the metro Detroit area of Michigan, an engineer by training and an avid fan of crafted items. Due to medical reasons most of my hobbies are not vary viable, lost my left leg to infection, so I've decided to pickup woodworking as a hobby. My interests go beyond just scroll sawing, hope to get into furniture crafting long term, but I've found that saw at a good price, have grandkids starting to come and want to make stuff for them. I'll quit rambling about me and say I look forward to sharing with you all and hope to learn from your critiques. 

GFHWoodwerks (AKA Gregory)

5 hours ago, Gfhwoodwerks said:

Hello all, glad to be joining you all here on the forum. I'm new to the hobby, just bought an old craftsman 16" from eBay, and ask inspired but what I've seen. Originally I planned on doing mostly toys, a few boxes and bowls, but the more i research this hobby the more i like the idea of intarsia. I'm from the metro Detroit area of Michigan, an engineer by training and an avid fan of crafted items. Due to medical reasons most of my hobbies are not vary viable, lost my left leg to infection, so I've decided to pickup woodworking as a hobby. My interests go beyond just scroll sawing, hope to get into furniture crafting long term, but I've found that saw at a good price, have grandkids starting to come and want to make stuff for them. I'll quit rambling about me and say I look forward to sharing with you all and hope to learn from your critiques. 

GFHWoodwerks (AKA Gregory)

Your in like flint now so grab a cup of joe ,Settle back and make lots of helpful frendly folks.Ask all the questions you like,we will answerv them all.We've made all the mistakes and can save you time and frustration of doing the same with our help.You've found a real home now for you interests in scrolling.Be a regular ,That way you won't miss anything ! Welcome aboard friend!

15 hours ago, amazingkevin said:

Your in like flint now so grab a cup of joe ,Settle back and make lots of helpful frendly folks.Ask all the questions you like,we will answerv them all.We've made all the mistakes and can save you time and frustration of doing the same with our help.You've found a real home now for you interests in scrolling.Be a regular ,That way you won't miss anything ! Welcome aboard friend!

In like "Flint", have you resided in Michigan before? Used to live in Genesee county, where Flint is located. 

Greetings, Gregory,

I didn't mind what you called rambling at all. Seems a lot more friendly than some intros
and lots of new members don't even bother to introduce themselves. They just immediately
begin asking for a free pattern or answers about something.

Look around to familiarize yourself with the site and then please show us some of your
projects.

God Bless! Spirithorse

Gregory,  Glad you found that saw and decided to give it try. I think you will find it rather difficult to make furniture once you have some hours on that saw of yours. I hope you have a warm place to spend with your saw as many here are letting it go for awhile because it is just too cold to be in their shops. I am lucky enough to live in Southern Arizona and have my shop in a two car garage and usually scroll with the garage door open and enjoy the sun. Take time to  look all through The Village as there is a lot to discover here.

Dick

heppnerguy