🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Heating My Shop Again

Rockytime

Yessiree, got er done. I've tried a milk-house heater, small propane heater and a parabolic heater all without much luck. The worst part in addition to being ineffective I always had to step around them which is a PITA in a small shop. The shop is 1/3 partitioned off in a two car garage. One wall is common with the kitchen, two walls are common to the garage and one outside wall with window. All walls are insulated. I direct the heater towards the outside window wall. I suspended the heater so it can be rotated . Many of the heaters I looked at were more expensive and many did not come with cord, thermostat or on/off switch.Those were a bit higher wattage and had to be wired with a cord and plug. This little unit is ready to be plugged in. Just mount a 220 outlet. Temperature was about 45 degrees. With the garage door up and the double doors in the shop open it warmed the shop up to60 degrees in about 15 minutes. Of course it was trying to heat the garage too.

1-20180113_135507-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Rockytime said:

Yessiree, got er done. I've tried a milk-house heater, small propane heater and a parabolic heater all without much luck. The worst part in addition to being ineffective I always had to step around them which is a PITA in a small shop. The shop is 1/3 partitioned off in a two car garage. One wall is common with the kitchen, two walls are common to the garage and one outside wall with window. All walls are insulated. I direct the heater towards the outside window wall. I suspended the heater so it can be rotated . Many of the heaters I looked at were more expensive and many did not come with cord, thermostat or on/off switch.Those were a bit higher wattage and had to be wired with a cord and plug. This little unit is ready to be plugged in. Just mount a 220 outlet. Temperature was about 45 degrees. With the garage door up and the double doors in the shop open it warmed the shop up to60 degrees in about 15 minutes. Of course it was trying to heat the garage too.

1-20180113_135507-1.jpg

6 hours ago, Rockytime said:

1-20180113_135507-1.jpg

It's 59 right now in south Florida and I'm freezing, lucky you!!!!!

I came in from the garage today and told Mrs. Ig that I'm tired of either freezing out there or sweltering.  I have a feeling I'm going to have some construction done soon to build a wall to separate my work space from the rest of the garage, have 2 windows installed and put in a window AC/Heater.  

26 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

I came in from the garage today and told Mrs. Ig that I'm tired of either freezing out there or sweltering.  I have a feeling I'm going to have some construction done soon to build a wall to separate my work space from the rest of the garage, have 2 windows installed and put in a window AC/Heater.  

Good idea. About 20 years ago prior to my retirement I had a contractor partition off my garage. I wanted a comfortable place to work and hang out. I have AC and now have some serious heat. You'll be glad you did.

On 1/14/2018 at 4:38 PM, Iguanadon said:

One word: INSULATION

My dear sweet wife and I built a separate workshop inside our garage. Measures 8' X 12'. The garage is not heated. The temperature inside the shop was at about 68 degrees yesterday evening when I shut it down. Outside temp this morning was 23 degrees. Temperature inside the garage was 38 degrees. Temp inside the shop this morning - no heater running - was 51 degrees. (This is central Texas - low tonight is forecast to be a record setting 16 degrees - where is global warming when you need it?)

I have a small, plug into 120 volt, heater with a high (1500 watts) and low (750) setting. On low setting, it raised the temp from 51 up to 61 degrees in about 30 minutes. It is very well insulated. I think the expression is "Heat it with a candle, cool it with an ice cube."