🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Official Time Test - Hawk -vs- DeWalt

Iguanadon

On 1/15/2018 at 4:14 PM, Iguanadon said:

So, now that I've spent a couple of weeks using the Hawk and gotten used to it and it's less aggressive, "slower" cutting speed I decided to perform an official time test.  I had 2 DOLPHIN puzzles prepped on boards, they happened to each be on similar sized boards.  I pre-drilled the interior cut holes (4 on each) and then starting with the Hawk I started a stopwatch and cut the outline, did the 4 inside cuts, then cut it into it's pieces and stopped the timer.  Then I did the exact same thing on my DeWalt.

Times:

Hawk - 12 minutes 20 seconds - Using Pegas Modified Geometry #5 blade

DeWalt - 10 minutes 18 seconds - Using Olson Mach Speed #3 blade

I had estimated it took a couple minutes longer to cut each puzzle on the Hawk and I was right.  2 minutes isn't a lot of time difference, but if you look at it percentage wise, it's 20% longer and if you multiply it out by 1600 puzzles that I hope to cut and sell in 2018, that's 3200 minutes or 53 hours and 20 minutes of extra cutting time over the course of the year.  On a daily basis it's only 10 minutes a day if I cut my usual 5 puzzles per day.  Is it an issue?  I don't know, I'll have to ponder it.

P.S. I installed a lift arm assembly on my DeWalt today and I highly recommend it for all DeWalt users.  It's nice not having to hold the arm up when feeding the blade in from the underside for inside cuts.

P.P.S. One of the scrollers who buys patterns from me told me he's using Old English Lemon Oil instead of mineral oil.  He says it dries faster and more completely than mineral oil.  I bought some Old English today and I dipped a puzzle in it and have it drying beside one I dipped in mineral oil and will report back as to the results of this test once completed.

IMG_20180115_152915.jpg

IMG_20180115_160048.jpg

You should have used the exact same blade on each saw to get accurate results. Just my humble opinion.

I know tlhat the 788 lis faster than any saw that i have owned. I started scrolling in about 1965 You were still in ddipers when I started. I haved worn out 9 saws in that time I have had 2 dewalts a type1 and a type2 The type 1 was the best of the 2 I sell maybee a 100 puzzles a year I now have an ex and still tluneing it to my likes,The EX is the slowest saw I ever owned, but it is the best saw doing fretwork and that is what I like to do. The best saw I ever had was a 20 in.  Craftman dit lasted me about 12 years with no maint. to talk about. The ex is the easiest to run not too aggresive cludts sharpcorneers with outany problems It takes me about 20 to 25 minutes to cut a puzzle so 4 or 5 minutes a puzzle means nothing to mel. I did enjoy your post.

IKE

Should be able to adjust the EX to cut aggressive like the DW.. but then the EX has a top blade speed of 1500 and the DW top speed is 1700.. so there is that factor too. I'd rather have that big rounded table of the DW than the EX and the DW stand is hands down way better in my opinion.. 

After reading 4 pages of comments about scroll saw speed it makes my head spin. I'm just glad I'm a hobbyist and really don't care how fast my saw goes. I could have a Ferrari of a scroll saw and it wouldn't make any difference to me. It would take the joy out of it for me if I had a deadline. Just my opinion.

My nearly 29 year old RBI Hawk still works just fine and it runs at MY speed. I don't sell any of my stuff or care how long it takes. I give away about 75/80% of anything I make.   All I care about is, take my time and do it right the first time. As Norm said..."measure twice and cut once" that is really good advice.

To all of you that use your scroll saw to make a living i commend you. You are a hearty bunch and I wish all the best for 2021 and beyond.

Which is more important,,,, speed or accuracy?  The DW788 is faster because it has more from to back motion... It is more aggressive.  I think the only importance here is how you like to cut.  I am old and slow....   My hegner is the least aggressive saw I have owned... I love it... would not trade it for anyother saw.... Like the tortoise and the hare... Your Dewalt is faster,,, but while you are doing maintenance and repairs,,, I will catch up...🥴  And yes you have to use the same blade on each saw to make a comparison.... and how did we get back to 2018? 

8 minutes ago, LarryEA said:

Scrappile, Accuracy is what we all strive for (I think)

Nothing OFFICAL about that test, it has no declaration and no meaning.

It was Iguanadon cutting a pattern to show he cuts slower with the slower saw.

You are correct. You cannot compare 2 saws with 2 different blades installed. Plus, both saws have to be running at the same RPM. Blade tension comes into play also. To many variables to make a true comparison. 

Edited by ben2008

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

. and how did we get back to 2018? 

Time Machine 😂 But typically I always thought they went into the future.. But the title of the movie makes me think I'm wrong because it's "Back to the future".. so apparently they went back in time then came back to the future? I'm confused now.. Headed to bed as my head hurts