Slow hesitant start on Hegner

OCtoolguy

I tried to search out this question but found nothing so I will pose it here. On the Hegner Multimax 18 that I just purchased, it seems to hesitate at start up. I tried it both with the foot pedal and without and it seems to do it more at the lowest speed or a bit faster. Once in the upper range, it seems to be more responsive. Is this normal? I will await your feedback before calling Wolfgang. So far, it's the only thing that I can find that I'm not too happy with so I'm hoping that it's an oddity and can be fixed. Thanks for your help,

Ray

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/pages/about-usYes. milliseconds. It is called soft start. Many routers or at least the better ones incorporate that technology. Just a nuance with Hegner. After awhile you do not even pay attention to it.

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

26 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/pages/about-usYes. milliseconds. It is called soft start. Many routers or at least the better ones incorporate that technology. Just a nuance with Hegner. After awhile you do not even pay attention to it.

Thanks John, I was hoping that was normal but when watching videos on youtube, I couldn't tell

Ray

I did notice that if I have the speed control all the way down at the lowest setting, the motor sort of hesitates and then starts hesitantly. But if I have it off the bottom and moving upward, then it is just a hesitation and go. I was thinking maybe the rheostat might either be dirty or have some corrosion inside of it. I have no idea how long my saw sat unused before I bought it. Things do get "dusty" when just sitting. Thanks guys.

Ray

17 hours ago, jbrowning said:

I just thought it was because this operator hadn't stepped on the foot peddle correctly. :)

Me too at first. Then when I eliminated the foot pedal from the equation it was still there. I've been waiting for an email reply from Wolfgang at Advanced Machinery. I emailed him yesterday with a few questions but he must be busy as I have not heard back from him.

Ray

I have the same Type Hegner.  1998 model.  Slow setting on speed control does hesitate to a Blink,

I run mine around 3/4 speed all the time.  All works Great there.  Advanced Machinery will be able

to tell you more.  I Believe in them.  Had to call a time or two..............  Keep us posted..........Danny   :+}

Thanks everybody who posted. I did get in touch with Wolfgang and he pretty much told me as much. I guess at the rock bottom of the RPM dial, there is more of a hesitation that as you rotate the dial upwards. I was just concerned that there might be something wrong.

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

I am back to my original question regarding the hesitation on my Hegner. What I found was I was trying to start it in the lowest speed setting and it was very slow starting. Now, after using it a bit, I have found that unless it's in the highest speed, it will still hesitate prior to starting, as it is supposed to. But then after a couple of seconds running it will hesitate again then continue on. After that, it runs fine. Does this sound like a controller problem? I hope not.

Ray

It did hick up on me in the middle of a cut when I first got the saw .I blew out everything with an air hose. Still did it l unplugged the saw and eliminated the Foot switch and it worked fine Checked the foot switch it turned out to be a bad one .I think checking all of the connections is a good place to start .Because of vibration wiggle all the wires on the saw while it is running.

Edited by tonylumps

3 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I hesitate to answer:). Are you using a foot switch??  Does this happen all the time?? Slow speed will increase hesitation but it should not hesitate again after running unless power was dipped or power interruption. If you can live with it leave it alone. If not then call the boys at Hegner.

I am using the Hegner supplied foot switch. I will eliminate that from the equation and see what happens. Thanks.

Ray

1 hour ago, Rockytime said:

Soft start is a safety thing. I ran my Bridgeport mill off a VFD and I could adjust the delay.Also my large printing machinery I had used a slow start. It's a good thing.

I totally understand and agree with you but this is beyond the "soft start" that is built into the machine. It does the soft start and then after a second or two, it noticeably slows down then picks back up and is fine from that point on. The only time that I haven't seen it happen is when I have the controller set to full speed. Then, it does it's slow start and goes without any further slowdown.

Ray

36 minutes ago, bowers25 said:

I'm not an electrician by any means.......I hate electricity..........Have you tried the whole process at a different outlet?.........one that is not on the same breaker? 

No. I will give that a try but my whole shop is new wiring and all the outlets are on the same 20 amp breaker. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ray

Ray try running without the foot switch and see if it still does that. If possible a complete blowing out of the switch and parts could not hurt. Look for the easy things first. Make sure all plugs are plugged in properly. If you are using anything else on that circuit while saw is running, shut it off and run the saw and observe.

14 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Ray try running without the foot switch and see if it still does that. If possible a complete blowing out of the switch and parts could not hurt. Look for the easy things first. Make sure all plugs are plugged in properly. If you are using anything else on that circuit while saw is running, shut it off and run the saw and observe.

Thanks JT, all good suggestions. I hesitate to go too far into the controller. I took it apart to blow out any dust too.

R

I played around a bit with the foot switch. I took it apart and cleaned it up as best as I could. The actual switch is a sealed unit so I can't do much with that. I found that if I start the saw at 1400 or above, it does the slow start and then goes along without anymore hesitation. It's the lower speeds where it slow starts and then sort of does a hiccup after a second or two. From that point on, it's clear sailing. I guess I just won't worry about it but it is bothersome since I'm still learning at slower speeds. I do love this saw though. 

Ray