Is there a way to identify saw blades?

OCtoolguy

I just bought a used Hegner saw and it came with a ton of blades in a carousel blade  holder. The previous owner must have had some kind of blade identification that I don't recognize. The tubes that had labels from FD were empty and the tubes with a lot of blades had numbers written with felt marker but they don't seem to correspond to anything that I can I.D. Any suggestions on how to identify them? I can do some kind of tooth count and with a magnifier I might be able to figure out which ones are reverse but other than that, I don't have a clue. I want to give them a try but it would be nice to know what I'm trying.

Ray

My opinion is just go by teeth depth and hold them against each other. Use them as you see fit until you use them up. I have blades I have no idea what number they are but if they cut what I am working on I do not care. I try to keep blades in packages when buying but it has happened when things get mixed up. 

Thanks guys. All good suggestions and I'll be doing pretty much what you all said. I will post some numbers tomorrow. He wrote on the pvc tubes but I have no idea whether they still correspond to what's in the tubes. When I got the saw, it had a big blade (9 maybe) mounted in it. Very coarse. His nephew who I bought the saw from  said all he ever did with it was make toys for the kids. The blades are all pretty much covered with a slight coating of rust or corrosion. I'm going to try to clean them up before using them as they will leave rust marks on the wood. I'll cut something with them just to see if they are any good. I'm still getting over my "high" of owning a Hegner saw. I never dreamed I'd be able to afford one in this configuration. Even though it's old, it seems to have most all of the newest additions on it. I'm going to design a vac system for it next.

Ray

Ray, the best way to clean the rusted blades, is to cut a piece of wood with them. Don't try to clean them, before your ready to use them. If you do, they more then likely will just rust again. Use them when your ready to cut a project, and cut into the scrap part of the project to clean the blade. If you try to remove the rust, there's a good chance you'll just dull the blade. And if you don't make the blade dull, you'll make it weak and it'll probably break as soon as you start using it. I don't bother messing around with rusted blades, I generally throw them out. Blades aren't all that expensive, and removing the rust is just to much bother and work. I could cut a few items to cover the loss, and it would be more enjoyable.

Len