Puzzles and Choking Hazard?

kmmcrafts

I recently made a couple puzzles.. and during the shrink wrapping I got to thinking about how the puzzles would possibly be purchased by someone as a gift for a small child to play with.. does anyone display any caution signs or anything to make people aware of the fact? I'd hate to have a child get their hands on these and choke.. so while packaging my puzzle up I include a business card but along with the card.. I also searched google for choking hazard logos and found one to print off.. I arranged it so they would print 9 of these per 8.5 x 11 paper.. and cut them out.. kind of tedious to do if I was going to make a crap load of puzzles as Iggy does.. I'd have this printed on a sticker or business card type stock through Vista Print..

Anyway, I sort of feel you cannot be too careful.. I know that the parents should know better.. the truth is maybe the parent is not buying it for the child.. Just feel it's something for those selling puzzles should consider.. IF I start selling a few of these online.. I'll be taking one photo of the item in the package with the warning showing in the photo.. as well as have this warning written in the items description..

IMG_0981[46].JPG

Orangeman puts a sticker on all of his puzzles.  He provided an example of one to me that I really need to get around to putting on my own.  I do have a warning on my website within each category of puzzle in the item description.  And for the choking hazard reason, Woodcraft By Scott is now an LLC as of this past Friday.

I just had an idea Kevin... I already put a business card in each shrinkwrapped puzzle package... I may have a batch of business cards made with the warning on the back of the card specifically for the packages versus the cards I hand out.  I'll have to ponder that.

Edited by Iguanadon

32 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

Orangeman puts a sticker on all of his puzzles.  He provided an example of one to me that I really need to get around to putting on my own.  I do have a warning on my website within each category of puzzle in the item description.  And for the choking hazard reason, Woodcraft By Scott is now an LLC as of this past Friday.

I just had an idea Kevin... I already put a business card in each shrinkwrapped puzzle package... I may have a batch of business cards made with the warning on the back of the card specifically for the packages versus the cards I hand out.  I'll have to ponder that.

That would work great for you I would imagine.. I've really been considering changing from a DBA to LLC... Need to research and find out what's involved in doing it as I don't have a clue..

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

That would work great for you I would imagine.. I've really been considering changing from a DBA to LLC... Need to research and find out what's involved in doing it as I don't have a clue..

This is what I put in my description:

"Small Parts: Not Suitable For Children     
Who Tend To Put Things In Their Mouth."

4 minutes ago, ekud1946 said:

This is what I put in my description:

"Small Parts: Not Suitable For Children     
Who Tend To Put Things In Their Mouth."

If I sell some puzzles online, I'll put that in my description as well.. However.. I find that there are a lot of folks asking questions that is already in the description.. so they don't always READ the description thoroughly.. Having something packaged with the puzzle itself I think would be much better.. For instance, someone buys the item as a gift for a small child not thinking about the small parts.. Having this in the package allows whoever parent / guardian to also see the warning.. Can't be too safe these days..     

The sad part of this is, you can mark them any way yo want with all the warnings, but if they want to sue you, they get a smart lawyer, that is why you carry insurance for those things, of course we don’t want any kids to choke, but some people are dishonest and lie, and we are held responsible. But Iggy did the right deal with incorporating it takes it off him personally, RJ 

Edited by rjweb

•  

I often get questions if there are any choking pieces in a puzzle which folks are looking at for children.

So I researched the government guidelines and came up with this device which I take to shows.

A piece is considered chokable by the government if it can fit within the cavity of the device.

bb

chokresize.jpg

And my label reads:

WARNING: Chocking Hazard

Contains small parts not suitable for children under 3 years of age.

bb

Edited by orangeman

8 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Hey Scott who did you use for your LLC or did you handle it all your shelf?  Feel free to message me if you don't want to give out names.

I used a lawyer for creating my LLC. Seems like I paid $500 10 yrs ago. I don't think I would pay that again. The GA Secretary of State has LLC forms online. Also many Office Supply Stores have the forms. Just need to pay attention as to what your state requires for filing those forms and public notice. A good lawyer can penetrate the LLC liability shield if you don't "dot all the i"s and cross the t's"! And furthermore there are continuing requirements in order to keep the shield.

bb

4 hours ago, NC Scroller said:

Hey Scott who did you use for your LLC or did you handle it all your shelf?  Feel free to message me if you don't want to give out names.

Hey Scott, I used a local accountant and small business advisor.  He handled it all for $500.  I'm sure I could have muddled through the process, but it was easier to let him handle it all and file everything.

• 1 month later...

I agree you can't be too careful. I like your ideas. One you might want to consider is to put the sticker warning on the opening of the bag. They actually have to rip through the warning sticker to get to the puzzle inside. I think I would make a paper copy and put it in the bag too. People are too sue crazy. This is just my opinion. I would rather be safe than sorry!

On 1/21/2018 at 3:34 PM, orangeman said:
  •  

I often get questions if there are any choking pieces in a puzzle which folks are looking at for children.

So I researched the government guidelines and came up with this device which I take to shows.

A piece is considered chokable by the government if it can fit within the cavity of the device.

bb

chokresize.jpg

And my label reads:

WARNING: Chocking Hazard

Contains small parts not suitable for children under 3 years of age.

bb

Isn’t that the same size as a toilet paper cardboard tube? That’s what I always thought.