mystery red wood

amazingkevin

1 hour ago, amazingkevin said:

Now that i cut a piece as wayne suggested it is very spicy smelling .So i googled it and it looks like i have cocobolo as it is very spicy smelling when cut the wood has been coated with something to give it a darker red color my flouresant lighting doen't do it any justice.5a617410b3756_names001.thumb.jpg.4edc07f780b1681dbd9f9a27927de61b.jpg5a61741a6aa14_names002.thumb.jpg.4a120306c4d4a91f3dc0f4103de10aad.jpg5a6174282eac0_names003.thumb.jpg.9605bbe4fbe33635bedcd30d04a65728.jpg5a61742f68752_names004.thumb.jpg.1d40cac947d2365659cad50e84c5b257.jpg

I copied my post below from your other thread, I don't think its coccobolo. Can you take a nice close up shot of a freshly cut piece of endgrain?

ok my hunch is likely correct then it is Santos Mahogany, I love the wood, its such a pleasure to cut it not only cause the great scent (for me anyway) but its quit a beautiful wood, it is not as difficult to work with as they say below, it is much harder than say Honduran Mahogany. Not technically a Mahogany at all but anyway its a fabulous wood and you will enjoy working with it. I got me hands a bunch of it in the form of stair treads at 50 cents a piece.....needless to say I bought them out...I think I got 18 of them. It makes great rings I have made a few from it, will try to find them and post it for you.

http://www.wood-database.com/santos-mahogany/

Despite its name, Santos Mahogany is not really related to true Mahogany (Swietenia genus), nor is it even in the Meliaceae family, as is the case with African Mahogany (Khaya genus) and Spanish Cedar (Cedrela odorata). Santos Mahogany can have a Mahogany-like appearance, though it is typically much denser, harder, and stronger than true Mahogany—and also much more difficult to work.

Santos Mahogany trees, sometimes called Balsamo, are used in the production of the substance called Balsam of Peru, used as a fragrance in perfumes.

On 1/19/2018 at 12:59 AM, WayneG said:

I copied my post below from your other thread, I don't think its coccobolo. Can you take a nice close up shot of a freshly cut piece of endgrain?

ok my hunch is likely correct then it is Santos Mahogany, I love the wood, its such a pleasure to cut it not only cause the great scent (for me anyway) but its quit a beautiful wood, it is not as difficult to work with as they say below, it is much harder than say Honduran Mahogany. Not technically a Mahogany at all but anyway its a fabulous wood and you will enjoy working with it. I got me hands a bunch of it in the form of stair treads at 50 cents a piece.....needless to say I bought them out...I think I got 18 of them. It makes great rings I have made a few from it, will try to find them and post it for you.

http://www.wood-database.com/santos-mahogany/

Despite its name, Santos Mahogany is not really related to true Mahogany (Swietenia genus), nor is it even in the Meliaceae family, as is the case with African Mahogany (Khaya genus) and Spanish Cedar (Cedrela odorata). Santos Mahogany can have a Mahogany-like appearance, though it is typically much denser, harder, and stronger than true Mahogany—and also much more difficult to work.

Santos Mahogany trees, sometimes called Balsamo, are used in the production of the substance called Balsam of Peru, used as a fragrance in perfumes.

I took pictures and lost them being confused with a slow computer,I'll have to take more,Thanks!