In-lay question

Gonzo

A few tips that might help:  Practice with scrap of the same thickness, and cut circles, tweaking the angle, until you get it set perfect.  Biggest secret for getting these perfect is to make sure you cut without any "side pressure."  Take it very very slow on the corners (the blade needs to be caught up with zero bow).  Hide your entry hole in the deep area behind the wing, between the wing and the tail.  

With a little practice. you can put the hole right at the edge of your line, in the waste area, and drill through so that it just barely hits the the waste area on the bottom piece, but the angle has to be exact.  If you can do that, there will be no visible entry hole at all.  It a neat trick if you can pull it off.

-----Randy

Edited by hotshot

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Hey Hotshot, your link is broken. Try it again please.

Ray

Try This:  Link to PDF Tutorial In Inlay

The site trying to be too smart and Preview the contents of any link, which may confuse some browsers, so using the forum link tool to include the link explicitly seems to work more like what I intended.

Edited by hotshot

1 hour ago, hotshot said:

Try This:  Link to PDF Tutorial In Inlay

The site trying to be too smart and Preview the contents of any link, which may confuse some browsers, so using the forum link tool to include the link explicitly seems to work more like what I intended.

This is an excellent tutorial Hotshot. Thanks for posting the link. I took a class in marquetry which is essentially the same thing. I really enjoyed it.

Ray

21 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

This is an excellent tutorial Hotshot. Thanks for posting the link. I took a class in marquetry which is essentially the same thing. I really enjoyed it.

Ray

Marquetry on the Scroll saw?  Or did you use the knives/razers?

Edited by hotshot

43 minutes ago, hotshot said:

Marquetry on the Scroll saw?  Or did you use the knives/razers?

Scroll saw. My wife and I were at the Orange Country fair a couple of years back. There was a man there doing scroll sawing on a home made saw that he powered with one foot. At any speed he wanted to within reason. As slow as possible for what he was doing. When I got interested in watching him, he explained what he was doing. Marquetry/inlay. He gave me his card and said I should attend one of his classes sometime if I was truly interested. So, that began my scroll saw hobby quest. His name is Ken Cowell and he does some beautiful work. He saws/planes/sands all of his veneers from exotic woods and sells them. His veneers are all pretty much less than .0625. 

Ray

hotshot your information provided is great !  Every time I see your work I am absolutely dumfounded.  I question myself "how does he ever do that- what an artist". I have had the urge to try it but didn't know how.  Downloaded your info and am going to study it. I see my problem might be when blade break the sakura saw arm flies up to protect the blade from hitting pattern or hand to prevent damage. Just remembered I have a 14" rbi that would probably work.  Again thank you so much for info.  David

15 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Scroll saw. My wife and I were at the Orange Country fair a couple of years back. There was a man there doing scroll sawing on a home made saw that he powered with one foot. At any speed he wanted to within reason. As slow as possible for what he was doing. When I got interested in watching him, he explained what he was doing. Marquetry/inlay. He gave me his card and said I should attend one of his classes sometime if I was truly interested. So, that began my scroll saw hobby quest. His name is Ken Cowell and he does some beautiful work. He saws/planes/sands all of his veneers from exotic woods and sells them. His veneers are all pretty much less than .0625. 

Ray

Thanks, Ray.  I looked up MR. Cowell and watched a video at is site.  That is what I want to try to learn to do.  The guy does need a new scroll saw...!  

18 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Scroll saw. My wife and I were at the Orange Country fair a couple of years back. .. . . . 

Ray

Fodder for another thread, but I would very much like to see a similar tutorial for Marquetry.  It has always been a bit of a mystery to me.  I understand double bevel inlay, and have done some neat stuff using it, but not sure how that work on very very thin wood.    ------Randy

4 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Thanks, Ray.  I looked up MR. Cowell and watched a video at is site.  That is what I want to try to learn to do.  The guy does need a new scroll saw...!  

He has about 10 of them in his garage where he puts on his classes. I was intrigued by the foot powered one though. I had never seen one like it before.

Ray

2 hours ago, hotshot said:

Fodder for another thread, but I would very much like to see a similar tutorial for Marquetry.  It has always been a bit of a mystery to me.  I understand double bevel inlay, and have done some neat stuff using it, but not sure how that work on very very thin wood.    ------Randy

Randy, I have watched and read many articles on doing it with thicker material and it's really the same. If you are truly interested, buy the book by Craig Vandall Stevens called "The Art of Marquetry". It's very well done with excellent photography. After going through the class, I bought the book and I could see that Ken Cowell patterns his class after the book. I think I found mine on Amazon for about $15. There might be used ones available too. Very good book. I just watched the video that Scrappile mentioned above and downloaded it. I'll post it here if you don't mind.

Ray

DoubleBevel.mp4

Edited by octoolguy
To add video