Hawk on Craigslist in Loveland Co.

jbrowning

Could be a good deal to the right person.. I'm betting they could just replace the controller pod as I did on my Hawk.. if they know how to solder the part is a whopping $5 shipped, LOL.. the problem may lay deeper than that part.. but I'd run some test to see for sure before sending out the assembly for a $140 repair 

Something I wish everyone selling a Hawk would do... Post a close up of the back wedges, and a good shot at the lower blade clamp.. since the wedges can tell a story about the miles on the saw.. and the blade clamps can tell you really what type of saw it is.. barrel clamps = old saw.. ultra = two lower blade slots etc etc.. 

It's nice that they show the serial number.. would be nice if Hawk could have a page on their web site with serial number year data.. They are busy people at Hawk.. and I hate calling them all the time just to get a small amount of info on a saw.. should some of that be online.. one could look the info up and decide if the saw is really worth the money..

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Could be a good deal to the right person.. I'm betting they could just replace the controller pod as I did on my Hawk.. if they know how to solder the part is a whopping $5 shipped, LOL.. the problem may lay deeper than that part.. but I'd run some test to see for sure before sending out the assembly for a $140 repair 

Something I wish everyone selling a Hawk would do... Post a close up of the back wedges, and a good shot at the lower blade clamp.. since the wedges can tell a story about the miles on the saw.. and the blade clamps can tell you really what type of saw it is.. barrel clamps = old saw.. ultra = two lower blade slots etc etc.. 

It's nice that they show the serial number.. would be nice if Hawk could have a page on their web site with serial number year data.. They are busy people at Hawk.. and I hate calling them all the time just to get a small amount of info on a saw.. should some of that be online.. one could look the info up and decide if the saw is really worth the money..

Yes for sure. Probably an easy fix. A great saw for a couple hundred bucks. I should send my son up there and buy it. 

Ray

4 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Wow! Not too far from me. Unfortunately at my age wrestling out a motor and replacing it does not work. I think it would be a good deal as it is VS as well as having the tensioner up front. Wish mine had that.

Rocky, go for it. Read what was said above. It's more than likely just a worn rheostat. A few bucks at most.

Ray

6 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Rocky, go for it. Read what was said above. It's more than likely just a worn rheostat. A few bucks at most.

Ray

Just wanted to say that the group at Hawk are not into the electrical stuff for these saws.. and they just ( from what I've been told ) replace the whole power unit as a whole so this is why it is $140 to replace the rheostat.. and like I said.. the part is only around $5 .. I just replaced mine on my Ultra saw.. not because it was acting up.. but because I was dumb and broke it while working on replacing a bearing on the end of the motor..

4 hours ago, jbrowning said:

Yeah, if I had $200.00 laying around I would probably go and get it. But I neither have the funds or space as of right now.

Jbrowning, I'd go collect aluminum cans or something. That is too good a deal to pass up. Figure out a way. Heck, you could even make money on it if you didn't want to keep it. I wish I was closer. I don't need it but I'd buy it anyway.

Ray

51 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Jbrowning, I'd go collect aluminum cans or something. That is too good a deal to pass up. Figure out a way. Heck, you could even make money on it if you didn't want to keep it. I wish I was closer. I don't need it but I'd buy it anyway.

Ray

I just emailed the guy so hopefully I will get an answer. Buying it is not the problem. I already have two Hawks but old although in great running condition. Space is a problem. My shop is small and my wife's side of the garage is willed with her car, storage shelves, table saw, band saw, one Hawk scroll saw, pedestal grinder, air compressor, steel inventory, misc. pieces of wood, horizontal band saw, small work bench and large storage cabinet. If I should be the unlucky buyer perhaps I can suspend it from the ceiling. Although I like the advantage of up front blade tensioner.

3 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I just emailed the guy so hopefully I will get an answer. Buying it is not the problem. I already have two Hawks but old although in great running condition. Space is a problem. My shop is small and my wife's side of the garage is willed with her car, storage shelves, table saw, band saw, one Hawk scroll saw, pedestal grinder, air compressor, steel inventory, misc. pieces of wood, horizontal band saw, small work bench and large storage cabinet. If I should be the unlucky buyer perhaps I can suspend it from the ceiling. Although I like the advantage of up front blade tensioner.

How many bedrooms do you have? Maybe an indoor shop/hobby room is in the offing. Good luck. I hope you get it.

Ray

OK the deed is done. Have not notified the wife yet. Just sent the seller PayPal funds. Will pick up next week after the snow storm that is supposed to come in. Spoke on phone for awhile. He's not a scroller. Was his father's who has lost most of his vision so saw is in like new condition. Seller brought it home from Kentucky two years ago and is taking up space in his garage. Has all communication from Bushton. So will post when I pick it up.

43 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

OK the deed is done. Have not notified the wife yet. Just sent the seller PayPal funds. Will pick up next week after the snow storm that is supposed to come in. Spoke on phone for awhile. He's not a scroller. Was his father's who has lost most of his vision so saw is in like new condition. Seller brought it home from Kentucky two years ago and is taking up space in his garage. Has all communication from Bushton. So will post when I pick it up.

Why does he feel that it needs a controller? It probably is just corroded. A can of contact cleaner may be the answer if that is the case. Good on ya for hopping on it. Congrats. I hope it is nothing too serious. Keep us updated.
Ray

1 hour ago, Rockytime said:

If it is a controller I'll buy it. I will troubleshoot it first. It will take some time as I'll have to move things around to get into the garage and then some warm weather to work on it. Plus I'll need to sell two old hawks. Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. (John Wayne)

Heck, figuring that you will get in the neighborhood of $300 apiece out of your old ones, you'll end up making money.

Ray

I watch the C/L here where I live and it seems like the old ones are still going for anywhere from $150 to $400. Of course, that's what they are asking. I have no idea of what they actually sell for. But, I'll bet you get your $200 back with no problem. And, I'll also bet that you don't have to buy a new controller. You must have a friend who is into electronics that can fix it for ya. If you can't that it. I recently fixed our furnace with a simple clean out of the gas jet. Last night at our neice's house she was mentioning that her furnace was doing the exact same thing as ours did. I told her that it was an easy fix and I'd be glad to do it. So there is always a way. Thank God for Youtube.

Ray

Your advice is good Ray. My friend was repairing radar and instruments in the Air Force and retired as an electronic technician and industrial electrician. My son-in-law is heavily into electronics. I have lots of help at my disposal. I won't pick it up until late this week or next week. Right now too much snow. Next weekend is the big motorcycle swap meet to get ready for so my spare time is pretty solidly booked.

1 hour ago, Rockytime said:

Your advice is good Ray. My friend was repairing radar and instruments in the Air Force and retired as an electronic technician and industrial electrician. My son-in-law is heavily into electronics. I have lots of help at my disposal. I won't pick it up until late this week or next week. Right now too much snow. Next weekend is the big motorcycle swap meet to get ready for so my spare time is pretty solidly booked.

Well, it's good to stay busy as long as "busy" isn't all "honey-do's".

15 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Can someone tell me what the controller for the Hawk is? Is it a separate unit, is internal within the motor or part of the speed rheostat? I won't see the saw for another week and I am just wondering. I have a 216VS but don't know what I should be looking for.

Rocky, it's the rheostat. It's an easy to reach item and should be a very easy quick fix. There may be some electronics involved but I'm sure (well sort of) that the problem is going to be the rheostat. I'd be very surprised if it's anything else.

Ray

Edited by octoolguy

This is what mine had.. and where I got mine.. Son did my soldering as he had a new Snap-On solder torch thing he was inching to try :) We tested the old switch and the wires to find what wire needed to go where... however I think either he got mixed up or the new switch is backward... whatever happen the first time round the switch worked backwards.. ie high speed was slow and low speed was high, LOL.. I didn't care but son wanted to make it right... think he just wanted to play with the new soldering iron some more :) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-1k-ohm-Linear-Taper-Log-Pot-B1K-Solder-Lugs-Split-Shaft-Potentiometer-EW/111400183535?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 

20 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

This is what mine had.. and where I got mine.. Son did my soldering as he had a new Snap-On solder torch thing he was inching to try :) We tested the old switch and the wires to find what wire needed to go where... however I think either he got mixed up or the new switch is backward... whatever happen the first time round the switch worked backwards.. ie high speed was slow and low speed was high, LOL.. I didn't care but son wanted to make it right... think he just wanted to play with the new soldering iron some more :) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-1k-ohm-Linear-Taper-Log-Pot-B1K-Solder-Lugs-Split-Shaft-Potentiometer-EW/111400183535?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 

Yup. That's about it. And any decent electronics store will have them.

Ray