🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Sweetheart Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

challenge.gif

:heart:  Just a friendly public service announcement; don't forget your sweetheart on Valentine's Day!  :heart:

It's coming up quick!  So, in order to light a fire under you, I challenge you to get in the shop and make a scroll saw project for your sweetheart.  Post a picture of a Valentine's Day project for that special someone in your life.  Sappy sentimentalism is encouraged.  :luv:

This is the free pattern from Shelia Landy.

I will still have to come up with a card idea.  This was the one from last year.  I gave this to my wife and she had a store bought that said she loved me more than chocolate so it was a real hoot.  After 49 years we think a like. 

DonMcFarland-ScrollCandleHolder-01292018.jpg

IMG_6304 (600 x 403).jpg

Well Travis, turned the guilt on me so I decided to try something for mamma.  Decided I have never tried any type of jewelry so maybe a pendant would be fun.  Here are two attempts (the best out of 6).  I'm having trouble with air bubbles in the epoxy.  I just using 15 minute epoxy and it is really two thick.  I do have one more drying that I thinned with acetone, if it tries, it may be better.  Anyway, my wife wouldn't wear anything like this anyway, may put it on her key chain or something..  I'm really just having fun.

hearts 2.jpg

14 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Well Travis, turned the guilt on me so I decided to try something for mamma.  Decided I have never tried any type of jewelry so maybe a pendant would be fun.  Here are two attempts (the best out of 6).  I'm having trouble with air bubbles in the epoxy.  I just using 15 minute epoxy and it is really two thick.  I do have one more drying that I thinned with acetone, if it tries, it may be better.  Anyway, my wife wouldn't wear anything like this anyway, may put it on her key chain or something..  I'm really just having fun.

hearts 2.jpg

Great design Paul. A couple thing you can do to reduce/eliminate bubbles. One thing you can do is to vibrate the peace while it's drying. I used to put it on top of the compressor and let the compressor run for a few minutes. You could probably do the scroll saw unless the scroll saw doesn't vibrate enough. The other thing you can do is run some warm air from a hair dryer over the top of it and it will cause the bubbles to raise to the top faster and pop.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:28 AM, Dan said:

Great design Paul. A couple thing you can do to reduce/eliminate bubbles. One thing you can do is to vibrate the peace while it's drying. I used to put it on top of the compressor and let the compressor run for a few minutes. You could probably do the scroll saw unless the scroll saw doesn't vibrate enough. The other thing you can do is run some warm air from a hair dryer over the top of it and it will cause the bubbles to raise to the top faster and pop.

As a matter of fact, I did set it on my Hegner,,, but you know those Hegners, rock solid no vibration.....;)  15 minute epoxy does not give much time.  It I think I am going to do more of this kind of stuff, I will invest in a little SystemThree or Aluminite.  I have worked with quite a bit of epoxies over the years and I know they are not all the same. 

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

As a matter of fact, I did set it on my Hegner,,, but you know those Hegners, rock solid no vibration.....;)  15 minute epoxy does not give much time.  It I think I am going to do more of this kind of stuff, I will invest in a little SystemThree or Aluminite.  I have worked with quite a bit of epoxies over the years and I know they are not all the same. 

Have you tried Simlar 41? It has a longer set up time which gives me more control. I love Aluminite but it sets up very fast. 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, don in brooklin on said:

This is the free pattern from Shelia Landy.

I will still have to come up with a card idea.  This was the one from last year.  I gave this to my wife and she had a store bought that said she loved me more than chocolate so it was a real hoot.  After 49 years we think a like. 

I love you more than  ice cream is saying something big from me.. Of course I love my wife way more than ice cream but ice cream is probably vying  for second place

Dick

heppnerguy

DonMcFarland-ScrollCandleHolder-01292018.jpg

IMG_6304 (600 x 403).jpg