Cutting Laminated Plywood with a Scroll Saw

bandsawman

Does anyone have any experience cutting laminated plywood with a scroll saw? If so, which blades do you use? I have an almost endless supply of 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch thick laminated plywood. We have a HUGE cabinet shop in my town and you would not believe what they throw away. I have dumpster dived, with their permission of course, and retreived pieces of the above thicknesses as big as 36 x 36 and 4' x 6". I even got two 5 gallon bucks full of Oak and Popular that were 12" x 4" x 1" that I have made 11 pens sets for Christmas gifts. I can't stand to see that beautiful wood go to waste. Sometimes I come home with a trunk full. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks guys for the info. I am talking about laminated wood with plastic (I believe) veneer on both sides. I have tried a regular reverse tooth blade but the veneer chips badly. I have ordered some metal cutting blades with 40 teeth PI and will try those. I know from using my jig saw that if I use a metal cutting blade the finished cut is smooth as silk, so why shouldn't it work for a scroll saw blade?

Have you tried putting down a layer of tape before cutting? The tape acts like a support for the laminate and reduces chipout.

Also try making a zero-clearance insert or table. I usually take a piece of plywood the size of the surface of the scroll saw bed, drill a tiny hole where the blade would go, and then using double-stick tape stick it to the bed of the scroll saw. This adds a lot of extra support.

You could also use a blade with more teeth per inch. That should help too.

When you say tiney Travis do you mean about 1/8? I drilled a 1/32 hole in a piece of 3/4 BB and used that with jewlery blades (70tpi) when cutting a copper and 1/4ply sandwich.....well the hole filled up with metal and the blade broke into three pieces....one of which landed up stuck in my forehead....no harm done then....lol

It doesn't have to be super small. 1/8 would work well. In fact, while you flex the blade, the hole will widen naturally. The idea is to add extra support around the cutting area (more support than a normal bed would provide). I do this especially when cutting really delicate projects.

I can see it being a problem if you're cutting metal. Metal would have a tendency to build up, whereas wood is more likely to be removed during the sawing process.

Hi guys----Reference amazingkevin's post, lately when I go dumpster diving at the local cabinet shop I have been finding exactly what he is talking about. Have found all thicknesses with laminate on one side only as well as both sides. Last week I got a lot more oak pieces and a whole cabinet door out of oak that they had messed up the cut. The masking tape trick as mentioned by Travis works very well. I also use mostly flying ductchman blades with a few Ryobi pinned blades when I am cutting something without inside cuts. This forum has a ton of great information as well as patterns. I am glad I found it and I appreciate everyone's advice. Have a great Holiday Season.