🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Crafter, Woodworker, Hobiest ?

LarryEA

Jan 30, 2009 12:22 PM, Travis posted a similar question.
I thought it might be a good time to bring this up again.

How do you describe what you do? Woodworker, woodcrafter
or a  woodhobiest?
Woodworker - Makes things out of wood?
Woodcrafter - A skillful woodworker?
Woodhobiest - no such word.
I'm a wood lover 'Hobiest' that does some crafting.
Then I think I'm a woodworker that does some crafting.
How about you?

Jan 30, 2009 12:22 PM, Travis posted a similar question.

I thought it might be a good time to bring this up again.

How do you describe what you do? Woodworker, woodcrafter

or a  woodhobiest?

Woodworker - Makes things out of wood?

Woodcrafter - A skillful woodworker?

Woodhobiest - no such word.

I'm a wood lover 'Hobiest' that does some crafting.

Then I think I'm a woodworker that does some crafting.

How about you?    

Partner , It is all in the eye of the beholder ,the viewer makes that determination ,based on his or her ability to make a sound reasonable evaluation ,ask ten different people their opinion of any project, they do not think is yours and your likely get a wide variety of answers ,The important thing is are you happy with your work and it's quality ,everything else is gravy , I'm proud to be multifasited ,I take pride in most everything I do from my shop ,home ,pond ,crafts ,art work paintings ,drawings , carvings ,wood burnings fret work ,intarsia ,model bridges ,etchings ,even my DIY 18 hole golf course ,pleaged  ,by  un-controled desires to do and TOO MANY  INTERESTS ,I find it hard to dedicate my self to any one thing past my satisfaction of that pursuit ,and wanting to try something else to see (if) I can master that to my personal satisfaction ,It's been that way all my life . Sometimes ,I envy people who are able to find their thing and stay with it for a life time ,like Keven who is a content whirl wind of the scroll saw .GOD ,did not grant me that contentment ,So that is why I call my self Multifasited   ,so I for one will never hold any of those titles ,thats my sorted story and I'M stuck with it ,and happy at that! And as you can plainly see I can also make the largest disconnected sentences you ever saw w/i a single paragraph !

I guess I am a wood hobbyist/crafter.  I have no real wood working skills.  I finally found something I was good at without getting a migraine and I love it.  If I can do what I love and sell a few things along the way to keep me supplies with blades and wood then I am happy.

Marg

I think we are all woodworkers. That is a very broad term that includes the professional cabinet maker, wood sculptors, and those that cut popcicle sticks to build a doll house. I think of a wood crafter as someone who takes wood an makes useful or decorative objects. I think that includes most of us scrollers. If you work with wood because you enjoy it but don't plan on making a living from it, I would call you a hobbyist. Therefore, I am all three.

Edited by Dan

Wood working is my worst talent,Was a complete handyman-all trades tradesman for over 30 years ,but when it came to wood ,oops that's another story.No more handyman work came in when and after the recession so i had to do something and television was not in the picture!Although repairing t.v.'s was my self taught passion.As long as i had the schematics it would work again.I'm a wood and pattern monger.GOD took my worst talent and made lemonade . :cool:

I think that I am just a woodcutter or maybe crafter.  Just recently have been attempting woodcarving but haven't progressed very far yet.  I no I don't qualify as a woodworker as I just tried to make a support for between the seats in my van so the dog can lay down.  I will cover it with carpet and as long as noone looks under the carpet, I will be ok.

Edited by Kepy

I carve wooden signs in relief as a side business (see below),but don't build too many other things because I really don't have the tools for it. Im getting back into scrolling after many years and I think I'm going to enjoy it but probably not be able to sell any of it. I dabble in woodburning but I'm not very good. So in one way I do commercial work and the rest is hobby.

DSCF0478_zps557e3f1e.jpg

Edited by Kragax

I guess I just don't fit any of the categories as wood is just one of the many materials I use in my craft/ art/ hobby I also make things out of stone sea, shells I engrave egg shells glass plastic and even steel oh yes and wood so I just don't belong here. snif...snif... snif, I'll miss you guys.

Don't leave us, please don't. That would leave an unfillable abyss in too many places.

I guess I just don't fit any of the categories as wood is just one of the many materials I use in my craft/ art/ hobby I also make things out of stone sea, shells I engrave egg shells glass plastic and even steel oh yes and wood so I just don't belong here. snif...snif... snif, I'll miss you guys.

Get a grip on yourself Hans - your sharing is needed here.  Heck, they even tolerate me.

post-8034-0-60704500-1411333666_thumb.jpeg

Stu what do you make the flat pack dolls houses out of ?  you have no shortage of wood where you work then. RolyI

I used 1/2" ply got free from a scaffolding place by work, can't get much from work anymore new boss would rather chip it before letting me have any scrap

I'll post some pics on brag

stu

I am not good at woodworking, designing, making one piece of wood adhere to another in a 'pleasing to the eye' form. but i love to get lost in my shop and make gifts for people I love. I have little to no talent, so I guess I must be a crafter of sort.

Dick

heppnerguy

I know you have talent...I've seen some of your work.